KICKSTARTER for Ragnarokkr 2014

Jamie suggested that it allows bands to be independent and well that is not true whatsoever. It merely shows a band's independence when it comes into suckering people in to pay for you, where is the independence in that. Well I guess you can say that the band figured out a way to get the money. But it doesn't seem much different than begging on a street corner, oh wait they offer merch that they get at a lesser cost well damn I guess it is a bargain.

Ok, the CPA in me has to ask.....

Is it "income" or a "gift" to the recipient????

I mean seriously.......
Some bands can generate tens of thousands, and then record in a home studio and self release a CD for a couple grand.

Where is the checks and balances??????

Ok, the CPA in me has to ask.....

Is it "income" or a "gift" to the recipient????

I mean seriously.......
Some bands can generate tens of thousands, and then record in a home studio and self release a CD for a couple grand.

Where is the checks and balances??????

I think it is set as "gift". I know the guy who runs Aint-It-Cool website got over 100,000 from people to launch his second season of his youtue show...been over 6 months and no new show but he bought a brand new car. Lots of people are pissed. This is the issue...basically you are just giving money away and hoping for the best.

I feel that if I invest in the production of a product then I deserve a percentage of the profit like any other shareholder

that is a good point...almost like investors in a movie. They all get a cut. I think that could actually work better...you could push a band who is lazy to get their asses moving on selling CD's then.

Well that's complete horse sh*t........

So if my band self releases a Cd, we will pay for it from AFTER TAX dollars, but some band can just do a Kick Starter and generate a HELL of a lot more $$$$ than they really need and pocket it, simply as a gift???????

What's next? You are gonna tell me churches don't pay taxes?????

I guess it's debatable on what bands or type of band are appropriate for KickStarter.
Is it both? Neither? Who decides??????
The people who fund (or do not fund) the project make that call. In the end, it's up to the fans to decide if the project is worth their time and money. You guys have listed a few "worst-case" scenarios, people not getting their perks or the product not coming out properly, or the money not being used correctly. But stuff like that has happened before Kickstarter existed. I mean, we've all heard stories about bands getting a label advance on a recording, and blowing most of the money on drugs, booze and women. This shit ain't exactly new. I know people who did that with student loan money.

If you're worried about any of that, I suppose you have to think about what kind of people you're supporting. Indie band whose only business skills involve working a cash register? Full-on electronics company with a few products under their belt already? In this age of super-fast information and social media, it can't be hard to do your homework and decide if it's something you want to contribute to.

I'm pretty sure that shit like this is the way of the future, like it or not. At least, until someone comes up with something better. Or someone fucks up so royally that it ruins it for everyone else.

I'm pretty neutral towards Kickstarter. It's a tool. If I have a project in mind, I look at my options and weigh them. I did a Kickstarter (rather, Indiegogo 'cause I'm a Canucklehead) with that SCYTHIA band, to fund the last $3000 we needed to film that music video. The perks were sent out within a few weeks of us making our goal. The $700 we made on top of the 3k went towards production of the new album. The video is out now (and even if you don't like the song, it's a pretty fuckin good video) and everyone's happy. Worked out for us, I guess.

The people who fund (or do not fund) the project make that call. In the end, it's up to the fans to decide if the project is worth their time and money. You guys have listed a few "worst-case" scenarios, people not getting their perks or the product not coming out properly, or the money not being used correctly. But stuff like that has happened before Kickstarter existed. I mean, we've all heard stories about bands getting a label advance on a recording, and blowing most of the money on drugs, booze and women. This shit ain't exactly new. I know people who did that with student loan money.

If you're worried about any of that, I suppose you have to think about what kind of people you're supporting. Indie band whose only business skills involve working a cash register? Full-on electronics company with a few products under their belt already? In this age of super-fast information and social media, it can't be hard to do your homework and decide if it's something you want to contribute to.

I'm pretty sure that shit like this is the way of the future, like it or not. At least, until someone comes up with something better. Or someone fucks up so royally that it ruins it for everyone else.

I'm pretty neutral towards Kickstarter. It's a tool. If I have a project in mind, I look at my options and weigh them. I did a Kickstarter (rather, Indiegogo 'cause I'm a Canucklehead) with that SCYTHIA band, to fund the last $3000 we needed to film that music video. The perks were sent out within a few weeks of us making our goal. The $700 we made on top of the 3k went towards production of the new album. The video is out now (and even if you don't like the song, it's a pretty fuckin good video) and everyone's happy. Worked out for us, I guess.

exactly! It is all about who and what you want to fund.

See in the US we always look at worse case scenario. We are jerks like that.

Like anything it's all about choice.

If it was something I truly wanted to support, I would, such as Ragnarokkr as the Fest was instrumental to the start of Ancient Dreams.

It's certainly not going away, ESP since bands and labels simply are not generating the revenue they used to.

Like anything it's all about choice.

If it was something I truly wanted to support, I would, such as Ragnarokkr as the Fest was instrumental to the start of Ancient Dreams.

It's certainly not going away, ESP since bands and labels simply are not generating the revenue they used to.

I agree...I would only give to a band / fest that I really liked and wanted to support.

It's certainly a nice loophole for both making $$$$ and selling product without any tax ramifications!!!!

The law will catch up.

DIY has certainly changed since years gone by,...........

I can certainly see why bands who can pull this off do.....

Just not sure it's something I personally would feel comfortable doing, but I suppose that could change over time. Dont know though...