KICKSTARTER for Ragnarokkr 2014

say what you have to say? obviously you want to say something?

Just not a fan of KickStarter.
I know it's a necessary evil.

i have heard of many where lots of promised items are never delivered.
I have no idea, nor care, why folks haven't gotten their recordings.
Not my business.

I guess my final thought on KS is that if the goal's aren't met, it's always the "Fans" fault for not supporting.

For the record, I did contribute to the KS because Ragnarokkr has meant a LOT to me personally having played it twice (For which I am extremely grateful).

Just not a fan of KickStarter.
I know it's a necessary evil.

i have heard of many where lots of promised items are never delivered.
I have no idea, nor care, why folks haven't gotten their recordings.
Not my business.

I guess my final thought on KS is that if the goal's aren't met, it's always the "Fans" fault for not supporting.

For the record, I did contribute to the KS because Ragnarokkr has meant a LOT to me personally having played it twice (For which I am extremely grateful).

Mike has been very open about where the live tracks are. He has tried to get them many times over the past few months. I keep on telling people to email him and ask about it.

I agree...there is a good side and bad side to kickstarter.

As I said, I don't care about the recordings.
Even if I paid that level for them I wouldn't.
I considered my contribution a contribution because I wanted to help.

My comments are more about KickStarter's use and abuse overall, as opposed to KS for Ragnarokkr.

This is why I was going to hold my tongue, as I knew folks would jsut get defensive.

If your project fails to meet kickstarter goals, it could be because a lack of fan support, but it's more likely that your project was inferior and your methods of promotion were lacking. For every project that meets and exceeds budget goals, there's likely ten miserable ones that don't.

If your project fails to meet kickstarter goals, it could be because a lack of fan support, but it's more likely that your project was inferior and your methods of promotion were lacking. For every project that meets and exceeds budget goals, there's likely ten miserable ones that don't.

Oh definitely Tots Magoats on that one!

There are some I have seen for bands where they offer some extreme forms of benefits that you know they will take literally over a year to come through on.

Some bands simply have great fan support and generate a boat load of $$$$ on KS. More power to them.

For a fest, I can see the use of KS as a replacement for the whole sponsorship approach.

I can't get behind the Kickstarter idea with bands. First of all if the band believes so much in their work they should invest in it and not depend on others to. So it is fan support; well what if the band puts out a crappy album and these fans basically paid for it. It is going in blindly, and we all know how are favorite bands can produce crap once we think they can do no wrong (Metallica, Maiden. Queensryche, a long list). And if a fan puts money into the product they are now basically a producers for investing, so they should have some say so on the album. And if the fans end up paying for the whole production well now they are share holders so they should be able to make the band then do whatever they want them to.
Kickstarter is just a way to beg for money and hopefully friend people that you can sucker into believing more into your work than you do. If it works kudos and then you can do right by these fans or screw them. If it doesn't work then no harm, no foul, well besides maybe a few people feeling like assholes for getting behind the project.
Kickstarters is good in theory I guess but really it is kind of a scam... well scam might be a little harsh.
If I buy an album I want it to be finished and there for me when I go to buy it, I don't want to be an investor in its production.

Has a band ever offered to give people their money back if the album sucks? Maybe that would be a nice and considerate angle for a band to take. Odds are a band using Kickstarter would never do that since they obviously don't believe much in their project to begin with.

I can't get behind the Kickstarter idea with bands. First of all if the band believes so much in their work they should invest in it and not depend on others to. So it is fan support; well what if the band puts out a crappy album and these fans basically paid for it. It is going in blindly, and we all know how are favorite bands can produce crap once we think they can do no wrong (Metallica, Maiden. Queensryche, a long list). And if a fan puts money into the product they are now basically a producers for investing, so they should have some say so on the album. And if the fans end up paying for the whole production well now they are share holders so they should be able to make the band then do whatever they want them to.
Kickstarter is just a way to beg for money and hopefully friend people that you can sucker into believing more into your work than you do. If it works kudos and then you can do right by these fans or screw them. If it doesn't work then no harm, no foul, well besides maybe a few people feeling like assholes for getting behind the project.
Kickstarters is good in theory I guess but really it is kind of a scam... well scam might be a little harsh.
If I buy an album I want it to be finished and there for me when I go to buy it, I don't want to be an investor in its production.

Has a band ever offered to give people their money back if the album sucks? Maybe that would be a nice and considerate angle for a band to take. Odds are a band using Kickstarter would never do that since they obviously don't believe much in their project to begin with.

this is why bands should not release an album for at least 2 years after they form. In this time they should play shows and practice so by the time they get to the studio and record the songs are the best the band is going to get at playing these songs. Too many bands rush to release a demo or Ep after being a band for a few months. The market is filled with crap now.

this is why bands should not release an album for at least 2 years after they form. In this time they should play shows and practice so by the time they get to the studio and record the songs are the best the band is going to get at playing these songs. Too many bands rush to release a demo or Ep after being a band for a few months. The market is filled with crap now.

I don't really agree with that, but I couldn't hurt. Not sure how you went to that from what I was saying either. HAHA
Jamie and I were debating this lastnight, she is for the Kickstarter idea.

because I love making absurd comments

No, it actually wasn't that absurd.
I see your point.

I guess it's debatable on what bands or type of band are appropriate for KickStarter.

Is it the young and hungry band who simply doesnt have the $$$, or should it go to more mature bands who arent selling the amount of units they previously did and no longer get the label funding for production costs as they used to? Is it both? Neither? Who decides??????

No, it actually wasn't that absurd.
I see your point.

I guess it's debatable on what bands or type of band are appropriate for KickStarter.

Is it the young and hungry band who simply doesnt have the $$$, or should it go to more mature bands who arent selling the amount of units they previously did and no longer get the label funding for production costs as they used to? Is it both? Neither? Who decides??????

well I wasn't talking about kickstater for my point...just bands in general who rush into it. People always make comments about why some of the older bands stuff is still timeless while some of the newer stuff isn't as good. From reading more and more intereviews as of late all these bands go into how they practiced daily, played live, practiced and played these songs over and over till they could play them in their sleep. So by the time they came to record them they were finalized songs. Now lots of these new bands rush to start a band to play shows way before they are ready. They rush into writing songs and never fully develop a style / sound so it is kind of a mess...but hey..they are playing shows and selling demos.

I never got the kickstarter with bands thing...even bands who don't use it when they say they can't afford stuff as a band...if all the members are working jobs...why not toss in money then for stuff?

Kickstarter is really getting abused by big name Hollywood folks now for personal projects...Spike Lee is using it for his new movie...some one made a point on a forum...Spike...sell you courtside seats for the money.

It is here and it isn't going anywhere...I guess people like feeling they are involved with helping someone out to get something released. Kind of like people sponsoring bands and stuff.

I don't think it will go away but I can see changes coming from it.