Killer Home Recording?

MattB, I'm like you....a home guy, I started with a guitar and a 2 channel Tascam interface. Maybe my addiction to new equipment has fueled and/or accelerated my knowledge, and I'm glad that you have found use for it.....to each his own

But for me, I'd rather be practicing, recording, or mixing than sifting through off topic "amusement" and "analogies", and to be honest, every time I've had a question I've searched one of the countless forums or googled or youtubed my concern and have come up with instant results.....hell I could probably bookmark all my searches and make my own book from them.

But for the complete noob, and un-technical type, the books could have use, but seriously I don't need a whole recording guitar section of countless pages to sum it up as:
- double track, or quad track guitars
- and, this mic compared to that mic

Hell there is enough of that on this forum....and then some.....all of different opinions, so literally gold, and free!.....(and no spam!)

Hey guys!

First off, for anyone who is on the fence, I give a full money back guarantee. The risk is zero.:puke:

The Killer Home Recording series is intended to knock out all the big problems that get in the way of the first 3 years of recording. There are a billion "what ifs?" and my goal is to make sure we reduce those down to a minimum. While I have been surprised by the huge positive response from guys who are experienced, the guys who are already cranking out mega recordings don't need my help. Many of you here are definitely kicking butt!

the website's pretty messy though
Definitely! I'm a one-man-Army running a studio, a web community, and trying to keep the whole thing from exploding without losing my mind or working myself sick. It's always a work in progress.

Honestly I think forum use mixed with google gives you everything you need to know.....and then some.
When I was on Khaliq-O-Vision's telesiminar/radio show/podcast thingy he mentioned what Bruce Swedien told him. "There are no secrets". I think I agree. You can learn everything you need to know about electrical engineering via Google, as well. There only a few crafts that are so technical that they can't be self-taught by a smart guy willing to work himself to death.

However, the fundamental flaw with blogs and forums is they teach in spurts. (I know, I've been doing that for years.) For example, I spent an entire chapter on the conquering the Loud Mix issue in KHR. A person can read this one single chapter and now have one specific method under their belt that works. I've not seen this explained anywhere in the detail it needs to in order to make mixes that are loud, sound good, aren't squashed excessively, and aren't pumping. 10-20 page blogs are rare, but topics that require them are not.

When I attended the Michael Wagener Workshop back in 2006 for $3k (counting hotel, food, etc) I wasn't handed any magic buttons or perfect solutions. I was taught ways that work by a guy we all trust. It confirmed endless "little theories" I had and made some of them certain.....it shot down a few. It showed me a few new techniques that I hadn't heard of, but overall the biggest thing it gave me was confidence. It taught me where I really had to put my energy and where I could take a breather. The cash was TOTALLY worth it! It's taken me 2.5 years to create my KHR series which I hope provides a similar result for a fraction of the cost.

---

I did sound out an email per day during the 7 Days Of Hell promotion. That was mainly due to the fact that I gave out about $4,000 worth of gear that week and figured people actually wanted to enter each contest.:kickass: A person could always opt-out.

the advertised order page is a turn-off for me. it looks like those fake sites
Ha! :loco: Maybe I need to rethink that one! Thanks for the info. I haven't figured out how to sell 13 PDFs and 3GB of wav files in a short, sweet way. Back to the drawing board!

There is also no lead guitar info, which should be a must.
That's not completely true. I have several REQUIRED guitar solo mixing tactics covered in Murderous Mixing. I come from the camp that the audio engineering concepts for lead and rhythm aren't all that different. The tonal needs are often quite different.

I emailed him about this and the reply I got was "I can't include everything"..

Actually, this was my response, "Thanks for the suggestion. Obviously, KHR wasn't intended to have EVERYTHING. I wanted to give a mega foundation to build from.

I'm getting swarmed with emails like this. I'll definitely be putting together a lead guitar thingy. :) "

So the plan is to definitely do a more advanced video (most likely) in the future that covers stuff like this in greater detail. However, following the concepts in KHR there is no reason a person wouldn't come out with an amazing lead guitar sound. Some guys, possibly those who skimmed, wanted "magic button" solutions and I've yet to find ANY educational source that provides those.

I ordered KHR yesterday, and I'm absolutely blown away by all the info and the volumes you get for the price. Obviously I haven't even come close to actually reading everything, but the first volume I'm reading, #2- Audio Engineering, is a massive 264 page pdf! (I got the first volume, Setting Up, for free download...) Brandon has a great way of explaining the complicated stuff without being patronizing at all. I check his and this forum every day, using the searches, but I was still excited to download the books and I'm glad I did.
Thanks, dude! I'm glad I could help.

It seems that KHR is a love/hate thing....which is generally how I run things anyway. I guess certain people have different expectations. However, I've only given 3 refunds out of all the orders. So it seems most people are in agreement.

Brandon

Hey Brandon, cool thing to see you here. First off, i bought KHR too and I am very glad.
I absolutely agree, that a noob (like me) needs one source of information where he can look on, while producing own music. I also read a lot here (oh well), and great information are there to find. but what Brandon said is true also, having one book-series to rely on gives you the basic information from one hand, so you can be sure you didnt get lost in blogs and missed the basic idea behind things. What always bothers me is to think that I'm doing things "wrong". My opinion ;)

I never ended up buying it. I just think that these boards are just as informative, if not more towards a specific style of music, it just takes a bit of effort. If you don't have the drive to go search for info on you own, well, you are in the wrong field.

The thing is subjective. If u have some kind of experience and know the basics the forum wins. If you are a n00b (saibot) how can u search for something u still ignore? In the last case comes some kind of book comes handy

I highly recommend this series. I bought it before the price jump and I'm VERY impressed with the basic talk and the great ideas it's filled with. Alot of myths are de-mythed and Brandon has a way of bringing it down for people to understand while not watering down the content. Great stuff.

Definetely not gonna buy it.These noobs sound like they got paid to say that.

Nope. I bought it with my own money, and I'm light years away from anyone paying me for an endorsement. I have a newfound love of Recabinet (see below) that's also unsolicited. Believe what you want, it's all good, but I'm still very happy with KHR for the reasons I already laid out. I post rarely over there too.

If I sound like I'm in sales, it's because I'm in sales. Unfortunately, I sell vitamins and protein. I'd LOVE to do nothing but play music all day, like when I was 20 and had NO money for decent gear, but it didn't work out that way. I had no idea that you could do decent recording on a PC until a couple of years ago. The last time I had recorded anything before that was on a 4-track Fostex, on cassette tape, back in 1997...and it was outdated then. I've spent a load of cash on gear the last year or so that I'm still figuring out. If you don't believe me check out my 'band' site, but prepare to have your ears shredded...in a bad way...:puke:

Just did the $119 deal. Hopefully it proves to be worth it. Don't want to have to ask for that refund. I just finished tracking two new songs for my band, maybe I should've waited. I could've used the time off to just read.

These noobs sound like they got paid to say that.
Ha! With what? I do have a Martech preamp I never use that I can't find the energy to make myself toss on Ebay. I have a huge collection dirty socks by my desk, but that's only worth something if you are in a Foxhole in Bastogne.

Brandon

Got the books....i think for anyone who hasnt spent a lot of time in the studio....its really helpful.....ive learnt a LOT from the 2 of the books...so in my mind its worth every penny.....i hope that after completing the course i am in a position to take the skills ive learnt and mould them for my own needs....

plus Brandons really helpful too...that helps

I think it all depends on how much extra money one has. I love reading different perspectives on how to get things done. I definitely don't have $80 or whatever to spend on recording tips, but I'm sure that it's probably a really informative package, and there are probably some cool perspectives that would be interesting to read about if you had the money and interest. For someone starting out in home recording it would probably be a cool deal because it probably covers things that someone may never even think to search for online.

Where this Forum kicks the most ass for learning though is the Rate My Mix section. Theres no better learning tool than constructive criticism.

These books are the best books on the field, period. As for people who say "not worth the money, this forum is enough" I say "ok". Different point of view. Everything exists on the internet, this doesnt mean you wont read books anymore. These books were simply one of the best readings ever because they are for all levels of audio engineers + these are like books written by Monty Pythons. I laughed out loud half the books.
Here is a sample so decide what you want to do.

"If I had access to the Delorean and some weapons-grade plutonium, I would go back to 1985
and tattoo “Accurate Studio Monitoring” somewhere on my 5 year old body. It would make
sense later in life and may just save me about 6.5 years of blood, sweat, tears, stress, agony,
frustration, and anxiety."

"You will never achieve your sonic goals if your studio monitors leave you guessing. Brand
that into your skull. Tatoo it on your face. Write it with battery acid on your chest. Do not
forget it.
If you are religious and have kids, here is how you should rank them in importance.
· God
· Accurate Studio Monitoring
· Kids
Okay, I'm kidding here. Accurate studio monitoring should actually be before God, but you
get the point."

Ok I dont know about you, my sens of humour really suits with these books and I couldnt stop reading them. Gold on the field + some books from bob katz and others..

Where this Forum kicks the most ass for learning though is the Rate My Mix section. Theres no better learning tool than constructive criticism.

True, but somehow it became a fashion for some ppl to only comment on stuff, which is good anyways! Last song I posted got like one reply, and that's not how a noob like me becomes better.

Btw: I'm not pissed about that fact, just wanted to state that :)

Okay I'm giving it a fair chance by downloading the free ebook using my garbage email. I'm not likely to pay for any ebook that expensive but I wanna at least see what it is. I don't doubt it's nice to read when you start, it's more the price and the overall impression of amateurism of the website look that kills the credibility.

I feel this forum has been way more informative than KHR. JMHO
EDIT: I want to make it clear that I like KHR. I feel it is a good source of a lot of good information (information you don’t have USE THE SEARCH for), but I can find just as much if not more info by using the search and reading all the sticky's for free

True, but somehow it became a fashion for some ppl to only comment on stuff, which is good anyways! Last song I posted got like one reply, and that's not how a noob like me becomes better.

That is indeed a problem. But remember, change starts from you ;)