killswitch engage and the more things change guitar sound?

jamesboyd

andy's bitch
Aug 17, 2003
new zealand
Visit site
hey all

what was the set-up for these two albums?
I'm quessing it was one sm57 on a mesa dual rectifier but I'm not totally sure :erk:

hey andy do you usually e.q the guitars in some way after you've tracked them?

people always tell me to stay away from e.q and if I have to use it to always use subtractive e.q instead of boosting things!

any tips on making the guitars stand out a bit and be clearer?
my guitar sounds are not bad but they are always lacking in the clarity department :hotjump:

thanks guys!!

james boyd

"people always tell me to stay away from e.q and if I have to use it to always use subtractive e.q instead of boosting things!"

This is generally a good rule of thumb to follow. I'm sure there's a couple reasons for it, but the big one for me is that when you boost a frequency, you are also boosting the noise that exists at that frequency. so when you cut it you cut the noise as well.

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with using eq. You want the best possible tone during tracking, but it's really hard to predict how everything will fall during mixdown. Try to stay away from big changes (like a 12 db cut or 6db boost, etc.) but little eq changes are no big deal.

Also I do realize I'm not andy but I'm bored and felt like posting. :)

TMTC was 5150 into marshall 30 watt vintage cab, 2 421's, tube screamer ,Telefunken mic pre's and GML 8200 EQ + SSL on mix down.
Killswitch....I don't know, just mixed it.

hey thanks for the replies guys!!

hey andy how come you used two 421's on the cab? did robb and logan prefer that over your normal 57 set up?

also where were the mics in relation to the cab?
was one on axis and was one off axis?

oh yeah what is 'ssl' that you used on mix down?

thanks

james

I was working with Colin on that, he was producing and prefered the 421's, both pretty much on axis straight on.
SSL = Solid State Logic, we used a 96 input G+ at Larrabee in LA to mix.

man that's crazy I always thought that it was a boogie and a 57! to me it really had your 'guitar sound' signature to it.

is there anything that you would recommend for making guitar tracks slightly more polished?

my guitar is not overly bad but it always seems to be slighlty muddy and to far back in the mix.

hey just out of interest andy what is your favourite guitar tone/sound that you've recorded so far?

thanks

james

So, it's a bad idea to start new threads for topics that have been covered before, it's a good idea to use the search function to find info in older threads, but it's a bad idea to use the search function to find info on something then ask a legitimate question about the topic?

There are seriously some anal ninjas on this board.

Kinda getting the impression that mornings allowed to be posted / questioned about if it has already been covered once upon a time... :/

Yeah seriously, dude used the search function and asked a question in an existing thread instead of starting a new repetitive thread... Isn't that exactly what everyone asks new guys to do?

ang3 you are a model newb. This would be a sweeter forum if every new guy was like you :kickass: