KILT Night for Guys

As a kilt-wearing hetero. man who is excited about both my favorite concert festival and the prospect of a 'kilt night', I'm a bit dismayed at some of the strong opinions against it.
To me PP is about finding others who share your passions and interests - whether it's prog, or power, or gourmet beers, or parts of the world, or some old band you wore the shirt of and you have a chat with a total stranger about 'the good old days' (the 80's!).
The kilt is just another expression. It doesn't impact our love of the music or the reason we're there... it's just another facet of my personality (freedom from the tyranny of the pant!) and I look forward to running into other metal brothers who enjoy the freedom as well.
Me and my tan, original Utilikilt will be there. Corsetted women, beware!
JP

Here!!!Here!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

John - why did you wait until I was on vacation to spring this on the unbelievers? I couldn't be here to back you up, my man. :rolleyes: :p

Hey, people, I didn't wear the kilt last year to 'start' any kind of fashion show. I did it because it was fun! I had never worn a kilt in my life before that night. And I knew that my ProgPower friends and family would welcome my choice in clothing that night. And sure enough, by the end of that Friday night I had so many folks coming up to me saying how great I looked in a kilt. :) Talk about a self-esteem boost! That made me feel really good about myself. So thanks to everyone who gave me a positive comment last year. *thumbs up*

As for the naysayers - and looking around I see it's mostly the ones who are worried about their manliness being questioned - don't worry about it. No one is forcing you to be a part of anything. Just go swill your beer and stand around and point and laugh at the ones who choose to participate. It's not going to hurt my feelings any. :Smug: And when the sexy gals in their corsets are hanging out with me (and John and whoever else participates), you can go chat with all your guy friends about how manly you are. :p

I'm wearing a kilt again on Friday night this year - whether anyone else does or not. But it would be cool to see some of my true metal brethren in kilts. Trust me - it's fun and quite comfortable! :cool:

and as far as a Hawaiian shirt - it was supposed to be a gag last year on Glenn, and it failed miserably due to poor timing and simply not getting the word out. I was supposed to wear a Hawaiian shirt that night also, but completely forgot to purchase one in time. But as far as making it some kind of tradition - I disagree for the reasons it would cause chaos when someone tries to locate Glenn. :loco:

John - why did you wait until I was on vacation to spring this on the unbelievers? I couldn't be here to back you up, my man. :rolleyes: :p

Hey, people, I didn't wear the kilt last year to 'start' any kind of fashion show. I did it because it was fun! I had never worn a kilt in my life before that night. And I knew that my ProgPower friends and family would welcome my choice in clothing that night. And sure enough, by the end of that Friday night I had so many folks coming up to me saying how great I looked in a kilt. :) Talk about a self-esteem boost! That made me feel really good about myself. So thanks to everyone who gave me a positive comment last year. *thumbs up*

As for the naysayers - and looking around I see it's mostly the ones who are worried about their manliness being questioned - don't worry about it. No one is forcing you to be a part of anything. Just go swill your beer and stand around and point and laugh at the ones who choose to participate. It's not going to hurt my feelings any. :Smug: And when the sexy gals in their corsets are hanging out with me (and John and whoever else participates), you can go chat with all your guy friends about how manly you are. :p

I'm wearing a kilt again on Friday night this year - whether anyone else does or not. But it would be cool to see some of my true metal brethren in kilts. Trust me - it's fun and quite comfortable! :cool:

and as far as a Hawaiian shirt - it was supposed to be a gag last year on Glenn, and it failed miserably due to poor timing and simply not getting the word out. I was supposed to wear a Hawaiian shirt that night also, but completely forgot to purchase one in time. But as far as making it some kind of tradition - I disagree for the reasons it would cause chaos when someone tries to locate Glenn. :loco:

Sorry for the timing, but thanks so much for the support, and as Hoyt said we will be there Friday night in our Highland glory Kilts.

I've got a better idea. Why doesn't everyone just dress normal instead of this organized dressing business. It's getting really old already....

Can you imagine what the good people of Atlanta would think if they saw a bunch of white legged men wearing kilts walking down the streets of the business disctrict? :lol: :yuk:

~Brian~

I've got a better idea. Why doesn't everyone just dress normal instead of this organized dressing business. It's getting really old already....

and just as I choose to ignore threads that do not interest me, you are free to ignore this thread. I don't see what the big damn deal is when a few friends are having a polite conversation with one another concerning a subject that does not involve "your favorite band" and a bunch of detractors feel they have to interject their negative opinions.

It's getting really old already... :Smug:

Can you imagine what the good people of Atlanta would think if they saw a bunch of white legged men wearing kilts walking down the streets of the business disctrict? :lol: :yuk:

~Brian~

it would be no worse than the folks who walk the streets of Atlanta with their jeans hanging down around their butt cheeks and a shirt five sizes too large, or those who walk around with 15 jagged pieces of metal sticking through various parts of their face... :rolleyes:

:lol:

I don't believe for a second that there's a person attending who throws all of their clothes in a bin and takes whatever they grab without looking to wear. Everyone thinks about what shirts s/he's going to wear for the weekend. Which is part of where the whole "packing 10 shirts" post was making fun of people who think it's stupid that some people might actually plan something out of the norm.

it would be no worse than the folks who walk the streets of Atlanta with their jeans hanging down around their butt cheeks and a shirt five sizes too large, or those who walk around with 15 jagged pieces of metal sticking through various parts of their face... :rolleyes:

:lol:

:lol: Good point...you got me there! :p For the record, I'm just jabbin' at you guys. :p

~Brian~

I have been wavering about buying a Utilikilt for awhile now, but I've never bought one, thinking I would only ever wear it to Dragon Con. However, if I could wear it to Dragon Con AND ProgPower, that might just be worth it!

Nate

and just as I choose to ignore threads that do not interest me, you are free to ignore this thread. I don't see what the big damn deal is when a few friends are having a polite conversation with one another concerning a subject that does not involve "your favorite band" and a bunch of detractors feel they have to interject their negative opinions.

It's getting really old already... :Smug:

You need to chill dude. Is no one else entitled to an opinion? I could care less what you wear, it's your choice, but when you post here, it's not just "a few friends having a polite conversation"- you've got the whole PP community. Did I invite your criticism for a simple comment I made? Does everyone have to agree with what you say? NO- I just infered that people ought to be individuals and not do what the masses do. So don't take it personally- it wasn't meant to be that way.

So I take it you won't be wearing a music related t-shirt at all during PP?

Let's put it this way- I haven't started packing yet so you never know! Ask me the first week of October and maybe I can tell you:D
All I meant in the first place was that I don't see why everyone feels the need to coordinate their clothing ahead of time. Be spontaneous like Metal Rose! It seems to work for her, doesn't it? (although I can't see myself in bubble wrap anytime soon)

You need to chill dude. Is no one else entitled to an opinion? I could care less what you wear, it's your choice, but when you post here, it's not just "a few friends having a polite conversation"- you've got the whole PP community. Did I invite your criticism for a simple comment I made? Does everyone have to agree with what you say? NO- I just infered that people ought to be individuals and not do what the masses do. So don't take it personally- it wasn't meant to be that way.

If you couldn't care less, then why post about it? :p

Nothing personal, and this is certainly not directed at you or any single individual, but it just kills me that so many people have to jump in with what basically amounts to "well, aren't you all a bunch of retards." Some people want to get together and have "organized dressing," then you're free to think and say they're just plain goofy, but they're also free to not like your opinion of them/their actions.

People have fun in different ways. Some people think this is fun, some people think wearing a particular T-shirt to show how "troo" they are is cool, etc., etc., so forth and so on. Different strokes. Few people wear clothes ONLY to protect themselves from the elements.

Shaye

I don't believe for a second that there's a person attending who throws all of their clothes in a bin and takes whatever they grab without looking to wear. Everyone thinks about what shirts s/he's going to wear for the weekend. Which is part of where the whole "packing 10 shirts" post was making fun of people who think it's stupid that some people might actually plan something out of the norm.

Actually I was only making fun of ONE person but you got the drift.

This thread reminds me of the "Raisins" South Park ep. where the Goth kid says:
"To be a non-conformist, you have to dress in black, and listen to the same music we do. ":kickass:

Let me state something, this thread was not started to get people dishing on each other. I started it to see if there was any interest other than Hoyt and myself in wearing a Kilt on Friday night, that is all. I am sorry if some peole got offended or got their feeling hurt. Look guys and gals this is a few days when all of us get to be ourselves, act silly, do alot of socializing and seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I don't know how long Corset night has been going on, but let me just interject my $.02 worth, it's not about fashion it's about friendship and being together and doing things together as a GROUP. This few days in Atlanta is for some the only time we get to come together as a big family. Does it matter how we dress, HELL NO!!!! It's just the being together ans seeing old friends again. Has all the negativity turned me off about wearing a Kilt? No, in fact now more than ever i want to get my Kilt from Hoyt and wear it, but most of all it means i get to see my friend Hoyt again, and also all my other extended family members. As one person said this is fun having an organized dress up.

Well that is my $.02 worth, let's just be glad that we are able to attend, and enjoy the show, but if i or any other guy wants to wear a kilt it is our choice, and the same with the Corsets.