Kinda off topic.....but

Well, I'll be camping out, was wondering if it's best to just buy a tent there or take one with me. I have a decent sized one........how far from the village the venue is. Um.....how long a bus or train takes to get from Amsterdam to Wacken. I would like to rent a van, but unsure of the licence deal...............ummm. Things like that, I made an inquiry to a travel agent, but he has'nt gotten back to me on some stuff. been 15 years or so since I've been to europe so I'm kinda a newbie at this again.........

Well, I'll be camping out, was wondering if it's best to just buy a tent there or take one with me. I have a decent sized one........how far from the village the venue is. Um.....how long a bus or train takes to get from Amsterdam to Wacken.

Well it's about 5 or 6 hours by car, from Amsterdam to Wacken is 525 kilometre.
You can put your tent next to your car at the camping area, so you don't have to carrry your tent and other stuff to the camping area.
The best thing to do is to buy a small (cheap) tent in Holland or Germany. Otherwise you have to carry this every where you go on your trip to Europe.

I think there aren't any hotels nearby the wacken festival, but their are plenty in Hamburg. This is a 30-40 minutes by car from the festival.

There are also some organised bus travels from Holland and Germany to Wacken.

You can find this info on the wacken site www.wacken-open-air.com

A small tent is the way to go, or a van is not a bad idea if you want to sleep in that.......their is a small town within walking distance, I've driven through it, not sure whats available?........Might be a Hotel their Swissman, but I'm sure they get booked well in advance.....sometimes it can get pretty muddy, depending on the weather, so come prepared for every type of weather, & accessories, etc......bring your own booze, food, liquids, drugs, etc......that will cheapen your expenses, so you have a base to go to, and not be stuck buying all the extras all the time.........and don't forget a lantern, or flashlight, if your camping....bring a comfortable pair of shoes, you walk alot, and you may include boots, if its muddy, both is a great idea......hope some of this helps.........

Think I'm going to look into a van to rent or something along those lines. What's the food situation like there at the grounds? I can deal with junk type stuff for three days, and I'll probably just get booze locally there. As far as the other stuff I want to see the show, not be trapped in some jail in Germany so I'll pass on that. LOL. Hopefully I can get all this straightend out by the end of May..........

hey there, i can appreciate your apprehensiveness about wacken. i'm from england and did 98/99/ and 2000, and that first time was certainly an experience. had no idea what would happen; but i have to be honest man, in 98 they were SO organised it puts anyone else to shame! i know its expanded considerably since even 2000, but you should fair okay. like DE says, take a tent. vans and cars are okay, but the hassle of getting them out after its rained and its muddy is unnecessary. just walk 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the bus, and catch the REGULAR AND ON TIME LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE (sorry, british train system is wank) trains to hamburg or wherever and you'll be fine!

caught the plane to hamburg, found an english speaking ticket lady (not difficult), caught 2 trains, a shuttle bus, and we were there!

it really is THAT straight forward.

failing that, just follow the smell....

shit dude - the booze - i forgot!

every time i went, they had mini-markets, licensed by local Spar shops, and were VERY reasonable. food is a piece of piss to get, and coffee also exists in germany!

what's the worst that can happen??

Lynn :)
sorry i was out of town thats why i missed all your messages on IRC!

food at wacken = JUNK!
however, you hardly eat there.... i know that i find myself sometimes there at the end of the day after having only breakfast.
(you know... beer = meal :lol: )
you can buy some stuff you can make in your camp area. dont go over your head tho...

Tent: as Walter said: bring with you. and dont forget to bring a travelers-matress (or however you cal lthis thing you put under your sleeping bag)

you'll be there and discover that you hardly do two things: sleep and eat.
its a 72 hours party.
dont worry about anything.
worst case: the village Wacken is a 10 minutes walk from the camp site (with a little supermarket) .

(btw: i replied your email)