Questions about music collecting

Razorhead95

Carebear stare!
Dec 3, 2003
Hell
www.geocities.com
Greetings all, I have a few questions about music collecting. I have been a collecter for a few years now, and I'm finally starting to get serious about it. So, I have a few questions for y'all. I know I'm a music collecting n00b, so plz don't make fun of me for it.

1) What does EP stand for?

2) Where's the best place to get rare/out of print/foreign stuff?

3) I should probably know this already, butr, What's the difference between Death Metal, and Black Metal?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Oddly enough, I don't know #1 either, and I can't help much with #2. But as for death vs. black...

...gimme a sec to copy my post from the Overkill board. :D

Well, the easiest for many is the vocals - death metal relies on a brutal, lower growling sound, while black metal often has screecy, high-pitched vox and often incorporates clean singing. The biggest difference, however, is in composition - death metal is based in thrash metal, but with more emphasis on riff technicality than speed. By contrast, black metal has much more simplistic music, but the arrangements and structure are very complicated...non-linear, neo-classical song structures. There's also a big focus on atmosphere. Also, black metal is known to incorporate lots of non-traditional instruments (primarily keyboards); death metal sticks to the traditional guitars-bass-drums.

Of course, the genre of melodic death throws a huge monkey wrench into the equation; it's easier to leave that out and consider it more of a variation on power metal (which it closely resembles, apart from the vocals) than anything else. Old-school proto-black metal (Mercyful Fate, Venom, Bathory) has its own genre as well.

Hope that helps.

Razorhead:

best place to find rare stuff is Ebay.
try to look for trade forums on google maybe, i know there are couple big ones out there...
,any of my good friends collect music for YEARS. Their collection is huge and very rare, and they find everything they want on Ebay (or the metal market on Wacken)
its takes a lot of time, and you have to be patient, but it pays off.

are you into death and black, only?

good luck!!

Pyrus said:
Oddly enough, I don't know #1 either, and I can't help much with #2. But as for death vs. black...

...gimme a sec to copy my post from the Overkill board. :D

Well, the easiest for many is the vocals - death metal relies on a brutal, lower growling sound, while black metal often has screecy, high-pitched vox and often incorporates clean singing. The biggest difference, however, is in composition - death metal is based in thrash metal, but with more emphasis on riff technicality than speed. By contrast, black metal has much more simplistic music, but the arrangements and structure are very complicated...non-linear, neo-classical song structures. There's also a big focus on atmosphere. Also, black metal is known to incorporate lots of non-traditional instruments (primarily keyboards); death metal sticks to the traditional guitars-bass-drums.

Of course, the genre of melodic death throws a huge monkey wrench into the equation; it's easier to leave that out and consider it more of a variation on power metal (which it closely resembles, apart from the vocals) than anything else. Old-school proto-black metal (Mercyful Fate, Venom, Bathory) has its own genre as well.

Hope that helps.
What he said. :D

Keep in mind that lots of death/thrash/black metal music cross over into each other. The easiest way to differentiate between the three is probably the vocals and the tempo. I like all of them...although in my experience most black metal is either very good or very bad...not much inbetween.

Dead_Lioness said:
Razorhead:

best place to find rare stuff is Ebay.
try to look for trade forums on google maybe, i know there are couple big ones out there...
,any of my good friends collect music for YEARS. Their collection is huge and very rare, and they find everything they want on Ebay (or the metal market on Wacken)
its takes a lot of time, and you have to be patient, but it pays off.

are you into death and black, only?

good luck!!

No, I'm not really into either. I was just wondering what the difference was.

Thanks for the info guys! That really helped to clear things up.

Razorhead95 said:
2) Where's the best place to get rare/out of print/foreign stuff?

The 4 best places I know are:

1. old people you meet online. Free burns.
2. Ebay
3. Europe has everything. Import it from Europe.
4. Japan...Japan...Japan! Find a music imports place online that gets
their stuff from Japan. I've done it so I know it's out there.
Japan's a fucking goldmine!