Vinyl

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
Ok, I have some questions about vinyl albums.
What's the point?
Do you listen to or collect or both?
If you listen, do you worry about damage?
Where do you get vinyl albums?
And who makes them? How is it financially advantageous to a company to make vinyl?

I have alot more questions but maybe if some of you guys who have vinyl records just tell me your thoughts on them, it might serve me better. My motivation for this thread is that collecting records sounds like something I might be interested in.

Cheers, duderz.

dorian gray said:
Ok, I have some questions about vinyl albums.
What's the point?
Do you listen to or collect or both?
If you listen, do you worry about damage?
Where do you get vinyl albums?
And who makes them? How is it financially advantageous to a company to make vinyl?

I have alot more questions but maybe if some of you guys who have vinyl records just tell me your thoughts on them, it might serve me better. My motivation for this thread is that collecting records sounds like something I might be interested in.

Cheers, duderz.

It's hard to explain, man...there's just something about putting on a record that you don't get with a CD or your mp3 player. With a good turntable and some high-quality speakers, the richness of vinyl really comes out. Not to mention the incredible album art, usually.

Some people just collect and don't listen - because yeah, listening to the records for a long time can definitely bring down the quality. But fuck that, I'm not going to buy stuff and just leave it in my living room and look at it every now and then. In terms of damage, keep them out of the sun, in a cool environment with low humidity, and hold them with your fingers around the edge (don't touch the grooves).

Now, I don't know how many local record stores you have in Compton, but that's usually the only place you can get vinyl nowadays, besides online.

And I don't know about your final question...I'd be interested to know myself. I can't see how record companies could clear a profit with records...the combination of greater material expenses (pressing, more packaging) and a smaller market just doesn't make sense with CDs costing the company cents to make. but...god bless vinyl. It's fun. :D

Maybe its my age showing, but I highly recommend it. For the following reasons:

1. Analog has a more warmer and fuller sound than digital. Some disagree with this believing that the human ear cannot hear the difference. But digital sampling (CDs in particular, even more pronounced in MP3 format) leaves spaces in the music that robs it of some of its essence. True audiophiles will spend up to six figures on a turntable for the best listening experience possible.

2. Artwork. The decline of vinyl sales has diminished what used to be cultural signposts--album covers. Sure, there's still some quality stuff put out, i.e. Opeth and Katatonia, but even that work looks better blown up to 12".

3. Not sure about the economics of vinyl collecting, but a box of real records just feels more like a collection than a CD tower full of the same albums would. Bottom line is, I wouldn't expect much appreciation in value, collect because you want to.

4. Involvement. Placing the needle on the record, and having to get up to flip it over. Involves you more in the listening process.

i dont think ive ever actually listened to a vinyl record, but i got a question

when you flip over the record, the music stops right? doesn't that get annoying because there wont be a smooth transition into the next track?

It is a novelty, i would always choose to buy a cd first, one because its cheaper and two theres more media you can use them on. but i think that i aggree with the whole it makes a collection, i would be proud to own metal albums on vinyl. only stuff i got is my dads stuff like micheal jackson, the beatles, don mclean and many classical stuff and the odd rock thing here and there, infact his collection is impressive and is much better to look at than a cd.

I like vynil because it just comes closer to what the band really sounded like in the studio recording the album with less of that remastering and digitizing bullshit. It sounds warmer and makes me feel more nostalgic when listening to music on vynil and it's really fun to collect, especially older stuff like progressive and classic rock vynils.

i haven't really heard any records either. many people seem to love em though. my buddy listens to hardcore, and a good handful of the bands put their albums out on record, cause it's a lot cheaper for them.

as for the digital/analog situation..i understand that tape and vinyls are analog, and have a warmer, more true to the original recording sound..and that digital is cds, and deals with all computers and that shit..but how does analog work exactly? also can music put onto a cd, be in the analog format?

it seems like it could be a really fun, but very expensive hobby (for more rare records).
it wouldn't be logical for me to start a record collection now, as i have 150+ real cds, and nearly 100 burnt cds.

people with knowledge of vinyls, tell dorian and i about em more :)

oh, and:
Leper_/-\ffinity said:
:lol:

Theres a few facets to this answer.

A. the audiophile: listens to records because thats the oldest form of recorded music, and does it due to habit, nostalgia, and because they feel its the truest and their most favored way to listen to music.

B. The collector: often a facet of the audiophile...collects vinyl, often times because of rarity, collectibility and/or because it often features more or better art, better for signatures or displaying, and overall, has the most redeeming quality for pride of ownership factor.

C. The old schooler: Someone who started buying (or collecting) music long before cds or cassettes were out, or maybe just appreciates the sound or quality of vinyl records over the modern technology alternative. They often are biased or just further enjoy the aesthetic of vinyl records enough to never or not very often care to try or purchase other forms of music media.

D. Availability and Practicality Junky: Someone who prefers the cheap prices of older vinyls (often a few dollars) instead of $12-17 sticker prices of CDs for the same album. They like owning the music, as opposed to downloading, but dont have a lot of cash to spend OR just want more bang for their buck. Also, many albums are hard to find on CD or maybe just arent pressed to CD yet, so locating older vinyl copies of these albums is sometimes necessary.

Now, for me personally...the main appeal of vinyl was because with older (classic rock, progressive, psychadelic, jazz and other various vintage recordings) albums, the vinyls indeed DO sound BETTER. THis is often because the CDs made of old albums are recorded from the original vinyl pressings, and thus have the "i sound like a copy" atmosphere to them. This is often not noticable to most people, but i was able to tell after a bit of time. Also, i enjoyed collecting, and the feel, the hunt, even the smell of classic albums in their original format...its almost more personal of a relationship. However, they do wear out, and get scratched if youre not careful...and eventually take up a lot of space and inevitably, made my home smell like a garage sale once i got enough. I have now sold off most my vinyl, and replaced them with the CD versions. They sound almost as good, but i do admit...a feel...an atmosphere and a vibe is missing from those albums. I also dont have to pay $200-500 for rarity vinyls and obscurities anymore...i can now find the reprints on CD for $12-25 depending on import prices, which obviously is much more financially attractive. I do however think its very silly to buy vinyl albums of current and new releases. They dont sound any better, theyre heavier, get worn out easier, and you cant take them in the car or anything else of that nature...not the most efficient form of listening. Thats why i dont understand people who own 20 versions of Opeth, or Katatonia, or Emperor or Nile records on vinyl...the CD would be the exact same thing for listening purposes. But if you collect, thats another story i suppose.

to each their own...

Out of my very small vinyl collection, I find myself almost always listening to more traditional metal on vinyl, whether it be new or old... I just don't listen to death/black metal on vinyl hardly at all, and I don't know why.

I listen to it because there is lots of shit available on Vinyl here that isnt easily available on cd (being at the arse of the world and all), and also it is cool to have some stuff on Vinyl, like PF 45's and steely dan albums.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
I like vynil because it just comes closer to what the band really sounded like in the studio recording the album with less of that remastering and digitizing bullshit. It sounds warmer and makes me feel more nostalgic when listening to music on vynil and it's really fun to collect, especially older stuff like progressive and classic rock vynils.

vynil indeed.

If you are just looking for just the highest sound fidelity you can get, recording digitally is the best. However when you have to put that on CD it gets compressed because the limit on information you can put on there. But if you take that digital recording and put it on vinyl well then... wow. If nothing else records just have a bassier warmth to them. I love my vinyl copy of Pelican's Australasia I got when I saw them open for ISIS.

affinityband said:
i would always choose to buy a cd first, one because its cheaper and two theres more media you can use them on

:lol:
just imagining how big a Vinyl-ROM for a computer would be

Man I keep think of rigging up a cart to carry my record player around with some headphones. It would be an anachronism like that scene in History of The World Part 1 where the black guy is walking through Rome in the Imperial Era with a stereo playing Funky Town

Risquit said:
Maybe its my age showing, but I highly recommend it. For the following reasons:

1. Analog has a more warmer and fuller sound than digital. Some disagree with this believing that the human ear cannot hear the difference. But digital sampling (CDs in particular, even more pronounced in MP3 format) leaves spaces in the music that robs it of some of its essence. True audiophiles will spend up to six figures on a turntable for the best listening experience possible.

The hell are you talking about????
CD's are analog, they go from analog to digital back to analog via playing device...
and I've never heard of this, proove it...