best way to enjoy opeth

Vinyl or C.D.

• Vynil

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • C.D.

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters
I still don't understand what's better with vinyl... the mix is different with bass usually cut out and you have to hear constantly the needle, plus it will inevitably worsen with further listens...

Vinyl is better only if you listen to an album that's been edited analogically. You gain -nothing- by listening to Opeth vinyls, except the fact that they look cool.

Only if you listen to records produced analogically, using a GOOD high-end player, is it worth it. Using mid range crap players and listening to digitally produced records just makes it cooler

You already lost some "information" on the way to making it digital...

Not if you sampled at 44.1kHz or above. I'd have a hard time believing you can hear any sounds above 22 kHz.... you see there's this wonderful thing called the Nyquist theorem.....

Vinyl is better only if you listen to an album that's been edited analogically. You gain -nothing- by listening to Opeth vinyls, except the fact that they look cool.

Only if you listen to records produced analogically, using a GOOD high-end player, is it worth it. Using mid range crap players and listening to digitally produced records just makes it cooler

I haven't listened to the Morningrise CD in years.

As far as I know, everything up until Blackwater Park was recorded on tape.

You know, the good Opeth albums you can hang out with. The ones worth listening to on vinyl.

Not if you sampled at 44.1kHz or above. I'd have a hard time believing you can hear any sounds above 22 kHz.... you see there's this wonderful thing called the Nyquist theorem.....

its not necessarily about the nyquist frequency (although in that aspect you are right). When the CD was made it was (and generally most master 'tapes' these days, it is transferred to DIGITAL. THEREFORE turning it back into analog afterwards is stupid. The damage has already been done. It's not the frequency content, its the 'sound' of it all.

But if, as 'Brooks' says, the stuff before BWP was done on tape (which is highly likely), all those albums would be fine.

^ahhhh yes; the intangible 'analog warmth'.......

and turning it back into analog isn't THAT stupid, otherwise how would you hear it???

sorry, couldn't resist.:Spam:

I wonder if mike listens to Opeth on vinyl? I do remember him saying he tends to go with CDs for newer music...

The bit rate a CD can take is fixed, so even if the recording was done digitaly in high bit rate you still have to cut down the quality, witch won't happen if you put it on a vynil.
But even if the quality is the same, and no Hi-end system , i still prefer to see the thing spinning, and have the nice big paper artwork on my hands.

The bit rate a CD can take is fixed, so even if the recording was done digitaly in high bit rate you still have to cut down the quality, witch won't happen if you put it on a vynil.
But even if the quality is the same, and no Hi-end system , i still prefer to see the thing spinning, and have the nice big paper artwork on my hands.

ditto

Where/how do you cut down on quality if you retain all the frequency content and store it as uncompressed audio? Assuming the DAC is good quality, the resulting sound should be an exact reproduction of the original. the only way I could think analog would be better in this case is perhaps a lower noise floor due to the lack of quantization issues? Any experts around that can enlighten me? I'm not trying to troll or divert the discussion, I'm just interested in getting an intuitive understanding.

EDIT: Nevermind. I love wikipedia. For anyone interested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_sound_vs._digital_sound

The best way to enjoy Opeth is while smoking a J and playing a FPS. Other than that, I'm not too picky.

Well, maybe. I don't know what kind of vinyl player you use.

Indeed! You just need a vinyl player-hat I invented. It works with a battery and you just wear it on your head, the vinyl put on the top. You just have to be careful and not run around with it!

But if, as 'Brooks' says, the stuff before BWP was done on tape (which is highly likely), all those albums would be fine.

I only say that because I remember Mike mentioning Still Life being recorded on tape, and I assume that means the earlier albums were also done analog.

It also helps if the record is mastered with analog machines, though a high quality computer based system can do a good job.

Maybe Mike the sick sick metalman can chime in, and give us some info?

Well, obviously some think vinyls really sound better, some say it's mental bullshit...

But what I said is the only one that gives any sense into listening to vinyls.

its not necessarily about the nyquist frequency (although in that aspect you are right). When the CD was made it was (and generally most master 'tapes' these days, it is transferred to DIGITAL. THEREFORE turning it back into analog afterwards is stupid. The damage has already been done. It's not the frequency content, its the 'sound' of it all.

Might have been recorded on tape, but I bet my left testicle it was produced digitally. which is exactly the same eventually

Not entirely. If the sample rate is significantly high, an analog recorded, digitally mixed/mastered record can sound close enough to the real thing. I doubt all those old records were analog mastered, but they definitely carry the same vibe.

I swear my Morningrise vinyl sounds better than the CD, which I haven't listened to in years.

Indeed! You just need a vinyl player-hat I invented. It works with a battery and you just wear it on your head

Can I buy one of those? It sounds way better than my solar powered vinyl player-hat. Every time the sun goes behind a cloud I have to spin my whole body in circles really really fast to keep it going....