Kinda old topic but...SOE

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
I know it's been discussed to death, but still.
State Of Euphoria has always been one of my favourite Anthrax album because it was my FIRST Anthrax album, in times when I was discovering metal. By the time POT was released, I thought they actually didn't raise the bar.

It always seemed a bit strange to read that members of the band did not like it much. In Scott's book, he calls the album "uncooked", even "shitty" once.

I don't know. I've listened to it today and I still think it contains some of the best material ever. I was actually kind of surprised how good it is. Charlie's drumming has never been that good and some of the riffs (mostly of the songs they seem to have forgotten) totally top their previous work.

Makes me think it might be something else why they tend to denunciate this album that much. But I don't know, what it is.

That was my first Anthrax album too and I still love it, so many great songs on it. Plus the Who Cares Wins video is probably the best one they've ever made. Sometimes I wonder if the band talks bad about the album because of their image at the time with the colorful shorts etc. and not because of the music itself. They did a complete 180 with their image for POT obviously, I would love to hear anything other than Antisocial live from this album.

I know it's been discussed to death, but still.
State Of Euphoria has always been one of my favourite Anthrax album because it was my FIRST Anthrax album, in times when I was discovering metal. By the time POT was released, I thought they actually didn't raise the bar.

It always seemed a bit strange to read that members of the band did not like it much. In Scott's book, he calls the album "uncooked", even "shitty" once.

I don't know. I've listened to it today and I still think it contains some of the best material ever. I was actually kind of surprised how good it is. Charlie's drumming has never been that good and some of the riffs (mostly of the songs they seem to have forgotten) totally top their previous work.

Makes me think it might be something else why they tend to denunciate this album that much. But I don't know, what it is.

I think it has more to do with the image and its ensuing backlash,was probably very successful at the time but wasn't a good look,it's def one of my fave anthrax albums,weird thing was doing it again on attack of b's,it was such a successful outing but after p.o.t they prob shoulda stuck to the serious stuff

That was my first Anthrax album too and I still love it, so many great songs on it. Plus the Who Cares Wins video is probably the best one they've ever made. Sometimes I wonder if the band talks bad about the album because of their image at the time with the colorful shorts etc. and not because of the music itself. They did a complete 180 with their image for POT obviously, I would love to hear anything other than Antisocial live from this album.

Who Cares Wins is a beast song for sure. One of their best riffings.

I would agree with those that said it's probably because of the image. The problem certainly isn't with the music. I wish Scott and Charlie would listen to this album again without thinking about the dumb way they were dressed.

I love SOE but always felt the fact it was rushed was obvious.
The production was just lacking that extra 10% polish (I find the album rather low in volume in that the guitar mix seems too drummed down).

I had zero problem with the image of the band - that same image was all over NFV and that for me is still the pinnacle of live Anthrax videos.

In my opinion, the reason Scott (and maybe Charlie too) considers this album as "uncooked" is the rush they were in 1987-1988 and the fact they probably had to record a new album 1 year after the releasing ATL as well. If they'd had more time, a lot of musical ideas on SOE would have been remade and I dare to say "Thanks God this did NOT happen!" because the album is great and I don't think it needs any changes. Sometimes, when people think something up, their attempt to make it even more better doesn't have to be a guarantee of success...

@JackfromCzech overall I love the songs - the arrangements, lyrics and riffs are all killer but the production on the mix is severely undercooked IMO.

But the imperfect production is surely not the reason of the lack of playing songs from this album live.

In my opinion, the reason Scott (and maybe Charlie too) considers this album as "uncooked" is the rush they were in 1987-1988 and the fact they probably had to record a new album 1 year after the releasing ATL as well. If they'd had more time, a lot of musical ideas on SOE would have been remade and I dare to say "Thanks God this did NOT happen!" because the album is great and I don't think it needs any changes. Sometimes, when people think something up, their attempt to make it even more better doesn't have to be a guarantee of success...

Pretty much.

I've always thought it was excellent. I found the band when ATL was new, so SOE was probably my second Anthrax album (I think I went backwards and got the first two after that).

@JackfromCzech good point. It frustrates me no end that songs from that album don't get the love they deserve - likewise with POT to an extent.

And don't get me started on the lack of Bush era songs on any live set.

POT and FOM were the first two Anthrax LPs I got. I've never been a big fan of FOM but "Persitsence" is stil the favourite one. As for playing POT songs live, honestly, I don't care anymore about this and the band as well, although I visit this board and watch Anthrax on Youtube from time to time. I've kind of got used to Joey's presence in the band but after their Prague show in 2012 I resolved that was my last Anthrax show in my life. I don't know, watching and hearing Joey's performance live just irritates me.
Regarding Bush era songs, I'm glad they don't play them live - Joey is just well-versed in "his" songs and when he tries to (let's say) imitate John's voice, it's a disaster. I think there's no Bush era song that fits Joey's voice. The only sad thing about this thirteen-year period is that Anthrax released lots of great songs and now they all pretend this has never happened just because some bunch of assholes wants it so...

POT and FOM were the first two Anthrax LPs I got. I've never been a big fan of FOM but "Persitsence" is stil the favourite one. As for playing POT songs live, honestly, I don't care anymore about this and the band as well, although I visit this board and watch Anthrax on Youtube from time to time. I've kind of got used to Joey's presence in the band but after their Prague show in 2012 I resolved that was my last Anthrax show in my life. I don't know, watching and hearing Joey's performance live just irritates me.
Regarding Bush era songs, I'm glad they don't play them live - Joey is just well-versed in "his" songs and when he tries to (let's say) imitate John's voice, it's a disaster. I think there's no Bush era song that fits Joey's voice. The only sad thing about this thirteen-year period is that Anthrax released lots of great songs and now they all pretend this has never happened just because some bunch of assholes wants it so...

K.

Regarding Bush era songs, I'm glad they don't play them live - Joey is just well-versed in "his" songs and when he tries to (let's say) imitate John's voice, it's a disaster. I think there's no Bush era song that fits Joey's voice. The only sad thing about this thirteen-year period is that Anthrax released lots of great songs and now they all pretend this has never happened just because some bunch of assholes
Doing bush songs,kinda respectful actually,they are two diff voices after all,bush def couldn't not sing like joey and vice versa

After reading the following interview: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joey-belladonna-i-would-hate-to-tackle-john-bush-era-anthrax-songs/, it's evident it was Joey's decision not to play Bushthrax songs live. But just try to imagine that you released four studio albums, you put a lot of effort into writing the songs and then suddenly you can't play them because the singer, whom you had to take back into the band, just doesn't want to sing them. If it's like not playing a few songs from the records, I'd say OK but this affects all the records. This is somethins I'll never understand and now I'm not talking only about Anthrax. The only positive thing about the whole situation is the band was constrained to brush up songs they hadn't played for a long time.

After reading the following interview: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joey-belladonna-i-would-hate-to-tackle-john-bush-era-anthrax-songs/, it's evident it was Joey's decision not to play Bushthrax songs live. But just try to imagine that you released four studio albums, you put a lot of effort into writing the songs and then suddenly you can't play them because the singer, whom you had to take back into the band, just doesn't want to sing them. If it's like not playing a few songs from the records, I'd say OK but this affects all the records. This is somethins I'll never understand and now I'm not talking only about Anthrax. The only positive thing about the whole situation is the band was constrained to brush up songs they hadn't played for a long time.

This is from 2005 and you sure know this was the weirdest year for Anthrax ever. The reunion tour was "a fucking nightmare from the scratch" (Scott Ian).