Anthrax albums with Joey

antwax

Senile Member
Apr 5, 2005
Hi,
listened to Among the Living and State of Euphoria today and liked both of them a lot.

Especially SoE surprised me...it is not as bad of an album as Scott wants to us to think....:)

What's you favourite album with Joey Belladonna on vocals? You know - vocal performance wise...my vote goes for State of Euphoria.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

T:)

I really don't like the Joey-era. Although, the first song I listened to today was "A.D.I./Horror Of It All" from Among The Living. I like the EP version of "Armed and Dangerous" because the vocals are so cheesy. If we're being serious, then "Got the Time."

P.O.T. fosho. Among is classic and a close second but I think the song writting on P.O.T. is better myself.

Among the living or Spreading the disease…

Independence means owning your deeccccciiiiiiissssssssssiiiiiions! :headbang:

I agree that POT would have been better with John Bush. It was just slightly edging towards the darker place they were going with SOWN, and Bush would have been great on it (just listen to Keep It In The Family on GOTE - he owns that song!). Plus, Bush's voice was honestly even stronger, range-wise a few years before he joined Anthrax. He's one of my favorite singers ever and I am far from cutting what he did with Anthrax down (I like what he's done with Anthrax better than Armored Saint) - but he definatly did have more range on Symbol Of Salvation and before than he did with Anthrax - maybe it was actually intentional. But I think John Bush joining a few years earlier and singing on POT would have been phenominal.

I'm honestly not really a Joey fan, but I think his strongest vocals are either on Spreading The Disease or State Of Euphoria. I know Among The Living is an absolute classic but I don't think his vocals on that one are as good as the two albums that surround it.

I like both eras of Anthrax (John's era is slightly better, IMO). However, my issues with State of Euphoria are as follows:

1. The mix SUCKED.
2. The band photos & layout of the artwork SUCKED.
3. The mix SUCKED. A lot.

The songs are decent, it just was never mixed/mastered correctly.

My favorite Joey albums are ATL & POT. And POT would have killed with John on it! \m/

Hi,
I agree with SOE being poorly mixed/produced whatever...but I think that songs are pretty OK... and Joey is trying his best. There's room for him to sing.

POT would have been much stronger with John on vocals, but I think that that album has the weakest vocal melodies of all Anthrax albums...the songs from POT that they've been doing with Bush are good though.

I'd go with Persistence Of Time.Music's good on this one,but the problem is the voice on the record. I don't like Belladonna's voice too much.He's ok,but for me,Bush is thousands times better.Belladonna's voice does not fit into heavy music in my opinion.

It's nice to watch these old videos... while waiting new stuff from new 'thrax....

Oh those were the days...:) :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think that Joey gets a bit of a raw deal on here sometimes. Look at the numbers of words to Scott's lyrics for ATL and POT, it must be hard to speak thse words within a song, never mind provide a vocal performace. With Bush on board there was a radical shift in the lyrical style.

I don't agree with the love of POT, Time / Gridlock / KIITF aside Charlie's style of writing was getting very "samey" and was begining to grate. SOWN was like listening to another ban entirely, never mind one with a new singer.

I'll go with SOE, I loved Danny's solo's especially Who Cares Wins, Be All... and Out of Sight.... Joey sung well on this, although I understand he could not sink Make Me Laugh the way the band wanted. As its the worst song on the album though, who cares??!!:loco:

Persistence of Time comes very close to being my favorite Joey-fronted album. The album was animated but it was very dark and gave us a view through Anthrax's eyes on the harsh realities many face today.

I find Among the Living to be overrated (compared to the other Joey-fronted albums) but still a classic. State of Euphoria is my least favorite Anthrax album - yes the mix was not good but at the same time alot of songs on that album don't really get me moving.

My favorite Anthrax Album (OVERALL) is and will always be Spreading The Disease. To me there's not a bad song on that album.

My favorite Thrax Album is POT--Joey was able to convey the anger perfectly while still retaining his sense of harmony. Second favorite is either SOE or STD--both are very strong song wise. My least favorite is ATL, it has several very good songs, like Indians, Skeletons, and Imitation but I found I could not listen to the album the entire way thru like I could with the before mentioned albums. I never could really get into the Bush era thrax, but then again I may have never really given it a chance. Thrax was the first "thrash" band I got into and was and is my favorite but I felt let down when they dumped Joey. I personally like Joeys first solo album alot more than anything post POT

....in my mind is STD. POT is pretty close, followed up by ATL & SOE. Soe is pretty weak lyrically & musically. All the Bush-era stuff IMO were FAR superior lyrically and mostly musically. Growing up, getting away from the Stephen King book reports and some of that other stuff. Overall a great band, but a band that took leaps & bounds with Bush on board for whatever reason!!! Go Bush!!:kickass:

....in my mind is STD. POT is pretty close, followed up by ATL & SOE. Soe is pretty weak lyrically & musically. All the Bush-era stuff IMO were FAR superior lyrically and mostly musically. Growing up, getting away from the Stephen King book reports and some of that other stuff. Overall a great band, but a band that took leaps & bounds with Bush on board for whatever reason!!! Go Bush!!:kickass:

I know what you mean. STD/ATL/SoE had a "Maiden-minus-college" feel to the lyrics.

IRON MAIDEN: We're going to write songs based on The Charge of the Light Brigade, Rime OT Ancient Mariner, and other crap we learned in upper-level history & lit.

EARLY ANTHRAX: Um, well, we wrote some songs about comic books & Stephen King. A lot of Stephen King.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the songs. But nowadays, some of the more "goofy" lyrics I enjoy mostly with a sense of nostalgia, as opposed to purely the song.

And there were some killer tracks beyond the goofy shit, so I ain't saying all the Joey-shit. So there. Ass be covered. :heh: