kontakt 3 experts?

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
anyone care to help me over aim with setting up cymbal samples in kontakt 3?

i want to make an "instrument" in K3 behave like a single instance of drumagog

so... round robin sample selection (or random) of a single velocity, and so on

can anyone help me do this in the next few hours?

I'm by no means an expert, and use kontakt 2, but it's really not that hard to
set up a few samples as you described...

1. Create a new instrument (ctrl+N)
2. In the "Group editor" create as many groups as you need ("create empty group", one for each multisample)
3. Set "Group starts" to Rd. Robin and give it a number (for each group)
Make sure "Edit all groups" is disabled! Many times I yelled at my Laptop for not
letting me assign different positions in the rd robin chain :Smug:
4. Now head to the mapping editor, check the first of the groups and drag one of the samples in
5. Adjust the velocity range of this sample (you can just drag the top and bottom of the box around)
6. Add in the other velocities, all in the same group.
7. Now comes the annoying part: since you want the different samples in the robin chain
to be played back from the same key, you have to do 4-6 again, with the next group
checked, right on top of the first one. So be sure to check "Selected groups only"
or you'll drag around the wrong samples most of the time.
Another possibility is to set up the next group on a different key, and when you get
the velocities right, drag them back together on one key

I guess that should be it... Hope that's not too confusing :headbang:

i actually figured out how to do it using battery 3.

i would basically treat the cell matrix in battery 3 as a single instrument (a cymbal)

set up the whole matrix to form the functioning cymbal

then save that as monolith
then load a buntch of those into kontakt 3

it worked really well, my own fully functioning "DFHS" so to speak using my own samples i recorded. i was even able to make a fully capable hi hat with 100% control

Yeah right, i guess for one shot samples battery is better...
They should add random / round robin support to battery, that'd be killer :kickass:

Yeah right, i guess for one shot samples battery is better...
They should add random / round robin support to battery, that'd be killer :kickass:

it does random, its just between cells

thats why you have to treat the entire matrix as a single instrument
each cell being a different "hit"/"articulation" of the same instrument

Damn, I didn't know that... Maybe I should read the manual, eh :lol:

hehe

it really does the job, and you can have choke groups for stopping a ringing cymbal when another articulation is played

which i believe is handled differently on kontakt, but anyways once you build all the instruments you just load kontakt into vst instrument, and then load all the instruments you built with battery into kontakt....

build your own drum map, and go!

ps i should also mention this is the way to go if you need 12 cymbals instead of trying to run 12 instances of drumagog...

it takes up way less memory (12 cymbals sampled with every articulation using DFD @ a total of 19 megabytes of memory period!)

which i believe is handled differently on kontakt...

There's exactly the same thing, but it's called voice groups...

All in all it's a pretty nice idea to build kits in battery and use em in kontakt...
Gonna try this for a project I'm working on :Smokin:

EDIT: Yeah, just like I can't get why people use Drumagog on an output of, say, SD2...
Just send the midi to Kontakt or whatever sampler as well, way better on CPU and memory

So does this mean your cymbals on your recordings are all samples you've made your self?

This would explain why your drums sound better than mine amongst other reasons!

I've been trying to use dfhs and superior for cymbals, but I am never happy with them.

So does this mean your cymbals on your recordings are all samples you've made your self?

This would explain why your drums sound better than mine amongst other reasons!

I've been trying to use dfhs and superior for cymbals, but I am never happy with them.

i dont sample replace cymbals all the time, but i always record samples of the drummer's kit, in case i need them for anything later. a lot of the time i use the crashes as a production tool to add cymbals where i see fit (like to emphasize a chorus down beat)

or for layering of special cymbal parts (like adding an underlining china to a break down to make it stand out from the rest of the track)

i dont sample replace cymbals all the time, but i always record samples of the drummer's kit, in case i need them for anything later. a lot of the time i use the crashes as a production tool to add cymbals where i see fit (like to emphasize a chorus down beat)

or for layering of special cymbal parts (like adding an underlining china to a break down to make it stand out from the rest of the track)

This is the greatest idea I've seen in a while. It's good for reverse cymbal samples too.

This is the greatest idea I've seen in a while. It's good for reverse cymbal samples too.

almost anytime you hear a reverse crash on anything i've done, its from that drummer's drum set specifically for that record.

the only exception is when i do something really big time like "lets get it", then we're dealing with all types of sounds in that category (like 3 or 4 different reverse crash samples used for different reasons/times throughout the song).

I have noticed in a few of your recordings like a city in a snow globe (Before Their Eyes) your cymbals sound so freaking amazing and real! Would you care to share what you used on that song? If not I understand!

For instance, the sizzle in the hi hatt sounds great! The pings on the ride sound so distinguished! Ect.

Not trying to suck up or anything, but dude I am a fan of your work!

Thanks

Battery 3 is for sure the way to go! I knew it wouldn't be long before I found a reason to not use drumagog or superior drummer anymore!

If you want great drums then this is what you do!

1. buy steven slate samples

2. buy triggers and slap them on your drums

3. get alesis i/o and run the usb cable into your pc/mac

4. make samples of all the cymbals you have or record

5. load samples into battery 3 after you buy it

6. use kontakt to play steven slate drums after you buy it

7. make a working efficent drum map that will allow you to call up everything quickly according to velocity articulation

8. get your drum sticks and play

Everything at this point is 100% editable to your liking! Bottom line is this, you can not find a better drum sample than STEVEN SLATE DRUMS, the only good sounding cymbals are REAL ONES.

STEVEN SLATE AND BATTERY SHOULD GET MARRIED!

Just my 2 cents!

P.S. Thanks Joey!

Sorry if this is off topic.

I just had a thought!

They make triggers for acoustic drums, do they make any triggers you can put on your cymbals that are actually functional?

I had an idea that they could make a trigger that would wrap around the edge of the cymbal in this case a crash! A regular ride could be just a plastic flap that lays on the cymbal kind of like a mute. Or Both, crap I dont know.

Reason I am saying this is because it sucks to individually places cymbals on a midi map, too time consuming!

Just an idea!

Let me know please, anyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Bumping this with a legitimate question.
Yhanthlei- I followed your instructions exactly, but whenever I press the note on the Kontakt keyboard that has the sample (snare in this case on D1), the snare only plays for the length of time you hold it down. For example, if i tap the key, it will play the sample but cut it off immediately so it sounds like its only a short pop, but if I hold down the key it plays the whole sample. So I guess you could say it acts like a regular instrument sample such as a piano where it only holds the note for the length of the midi note, but obviously that doesn't work too well with drum samples. So any idea how to get around this?

Thanks guys.