KOPETH third round !!!

I'm assuming you use the Modern Setting? I've tried getting a similar sound with Vintage, but it always sounds like there's a wall in front of the speakers. I'm really curious as to where you have your presence set. By mid dip do you mean you have it set around 11 o'clock and boost of highs I'm assuming 1'oclock? Bass setting? Any more details you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. I NEED this tone!

TheSweetener said:
Even if it sounds stupid. There's nothing extremely special to do.
I use a tube screamer the way many people do. I also tend to do a little gain with it so it's 10% gain from the TS and 10% gain from the recto.
Otherwise it's just the normal settings.
No Rectifier Tubes, Bold, a little mid dip and a gentle boost of the highs. That's basicly all.
The guitars were played with a very cheap Yamaha guitar by the way. I often prefer this guitar to the Gibsons I have. It has a warm yet chunky tone. It has a Duncan Jeff Beck in bridge position.
In my opinion it's quite impotant to really check which speaker where to mic! In my Boogie 4x12" there is one speaker that sounds quite bad, two that are okay and one that is cool.

I've produced a lot of albums with the Recto (or Fireball or 5150) + POD combination. That's a combo that works well for me cause you get two very different sounds to mix!

The Distressor can give the guitars some more bite, but it's very subtle. Nothing as drastic as a Tube Screamer.

Use Brit Mode + Dist2 with moderate attack and release times without any visible compression. For everyone with an UAD1 card, you can try do to the same trick with the 1176 plugin in "all buttons mode", but in does not work as cool as the Distressor IMO.

BrettT said:
I'm assuming you use the Modern Setting? I've tried getting a similar sound with Vintage, but it always sounds like there's a wall in front of the speakers. I'm really curious as to where you have your presence set. By mid dip do you mean you have it set around 11 o'clock and boost of highs I'm assuming 1'oclock? Bass setting? Any more details you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. I NEED this tone!

Everything you say is right! Mids on 11, Treble on 1. + Modern!
I really don't remember how I have the presence, but I think it's not far from 12 o clock.
Like I said I really don't care too much if it's a Recto, a Fireball, a Diezel or a 5150. Any of these amps sound quite well with everything in the 12 position. But I'm really fond of Boogie cabs! With the wrong cab, the wrong mic and the wrong placement you can ruin so many things that no amp setting helps you!

What I want to say is, if I used a Fireball the tone would not be soooo different, but if I used an Engl cab (even with Vintage 30s) it would totally different (and worse by the way).

Thanks so much for the tips! Seems like the settings I've been tinkering with are pretty close. I'm trying to get that Opeth crunch, yet have good definition for full chording. I'm using a Bad Monkey instead of a Tube Screamer, though.

I've been using Ch. 3 Modern with Bold Silicon
Bass at 11-12 o'clock
Mids at 12 o'clock
Treble at 1 o'clock
Presence at 8-9 o'clock
Gain at 12 o'clock

On the Monkey:
Level maxed
I roll off the Bass control until the woofiness is gone...ends up at about 10 o'clock
Treble at 10 o'clock
Gain at zero.

All this through a Rivera 4x12 with Vintage 30s, which sounds MUCH better than the Mesa 2x12 cab I traded it for.

Unfortunately I don't have a means to record my tone as of yet so I'm going by the sound in the room.

I don't have a means of recording right now. It definitely sounds better in the room, though. Way tighter and more toneful. The Mesa cab was horribly boomy/woofy.

TheSweetener said:
Sounded better in the room or recorded?

yo kohle,
just noticed ... you're the dude who
produced ashesofpompeiis new album,
which i like alot. good deed!