Kramer MPX vs Slate VTM

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi guys,

As Slate offers massive discounts, I think about getting VTM. But I already own MPX from Waves. I cannot demo VTM now unfortunately. How is VTM compared to MPX? Way better? Warmer? More realistic? Or simply different?

Never done a comparison, but to me it seems people look for tape saturation as a single track effect. For me, VTM doesn't really do anything on a track, but across the mix as an accumulated mix, I get a more rounded, full low end and takes the harshness of the highs - you can push harder high shelves into it with cheap digital EQs (eg ReaEQ).

VTM really owns the tape plugin spot for me. Think it nails the sound, and while the wait for updates is very slow, the current beta is great. Really took a reduction on cpu usage, so I can stack it up all over the mix and pushing the noise reduction an extra 40db is nice. I typically use it on single channels in 16 track mode, and then a single 2track on the master. Will also put it on any verb/fx sends.

Well it's pretty unanimous! I'll think about it for one day before frenetically buying it :)

Cheers guys!

I tried the MPX and didn't like it at all. VTM sounds like a real tape machine to me. It adds nice coloration, wideness, depth and movement when used across all tracks and busses/master buss. It also sounds amazing in combination with VCC and VBC.

I have both, and while I would probably use VTM 90% of the time, MPX can be very cool for certain stuff. The flux knob can add some really cool vibe and nastiness. I believe MPX can work well for cleaner stuff too, but you have to get the gain staging just right. At this point it really just get used for more of an over the top effect for me.