Ok, i THINK I... lost the ilok.

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Here we go, worst case scenario.

I got a job which basically makes me move through different countries all the time, at least until I can settle in a few months.

I go back and forth between home and my current places all the time. So every 4 or 5 days, I pack and unpack my bag, including my MBP, cans, etc. I try checking each time everything, most important things being my passport/license/ID and professional things. It's been ok those last 6 months...

And this time, I think I lost my ilok2 in the process. Yes, not my USB key, not my SD card, not a book, not my toothpaste, no, my f**king ilok2.

I say I "think" cause it might be in my pilotcase in my car in Frankfurt, where I am based at the moment, but I can't be sure until I'm back there the 2nd, and can check by myself. I don't know why I would put it there, but you never know, I have done crazier stuff in the past, when you don't live at home you cannot stick to a routine and you find yourself putting things in stupid places sometimes. What makes me fear I lost it is that during my last few days there, in my hotel, I haven't seen it anywhere and I didn't think about it, I had more important things to think about, so I have no real clue of when I saw it last time.

Until then, I have to prepare myself to the idea I lost it. It's not catastrophic, I'm not a studio which owns 15k worth of plugs, but still, if I'm right, it would mean I can say bye-bye to my Waves licenses right ? I just discovered they don't accept re-creating a license when you declare an ilok lost or stolen. I have 10 licenses on it, mainly Waves and Slate (stuff like CLA comps, SSL, Rvox, Kramer MPX, and VCC and Trigger). My worst fear would be to lose CLA/SSL.

If that's right, does that mean Waves fucks you up even when you simply declare your ilok lost or stolen through Pace's procedure ? If yes, isn't it completely, utterly, genuinely anti-professional from them, considering the Pace procedure is about declaring the ilok lost, so it cannot work anymore (hence making it unviable for any theft), and contacting the plugin companies to authorize again once a new ilok is registered ?

http://www.wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=2171

Yes, Waves will not give you new licenses. I had a similar experience a few months ago but thankfully I left mine at the radio station I work at.

According to Pace, it's the "developer's discretion" on whether or not to give you a replacement license.

Seriously....very nice. So you spend a shitload of money to buy something legit, you loose your ilok (but it can simply break like everything..or someone can steal it) and they do what? They say "you're fucked...we don't do anything".
These are the behaviours that let me think they deserve to be fucked by piracy! Because companies like Slate help you when you are in trouble (I lost the SSD3 wave files and they let me download them all with no problems)..

Yeah. My problem with them is that... Some of their plugins are so good, so I would probably end up buying them again.
I'll know in about 24h if I actually lost it or if it's still in Frankfurt. Ah, finger crossed.

Hopefully the guy from Wave's will chime in. It's worth noting that that policy says V4/V5 and we are currently on V8. If that is in fact their current policy I'll never give them another dime though.

It's a major ethic problem IMO.

I can see pace point of view, although I don't think it's a good one (there should be, implemented in the whole ilok deal, a way to know you are SAFE with your licenses no matter what, which is not the case obviously. Otherwise it stays a "handy way of having all your license together a universal way" and nothing really more.)

But I just can't see waves one. If you can prove you bought your plugs, and considering its only a serial number... For 300e there should be the service of renewing your license instead of the presumption you are illegally reselling a copy, when instead you bought several plugs in the first place, while they are available in torrents anyway which defeats the principle of their non cooperation!

Damn, that really sucks :(

Pace, and maybe even Waves IIRC (could be wrong on waves though), has a protection program you can sign up for that is for situations exactly like this. I think it's called "zero down time" or something like that. But it costs money, of course.

It's a major ethic problem IMO.

I can see pace point of view, although I don't think it's a good one (there should be, implemented in the whole ilok deal, a way to know you are SAFE with your licenses no matter what, which is not the case obviously. Otherwise it stays a "handy way of having all your license together a universal way" and nothing really more.)

But I just can't see waves one. If you can prove you bought your plugs, and considering its only a serial number... For 300e there should be the service of renewing your license instead of the presumption you are illegally reselling a copy, when instead you bought several plugs in the first place, while they are available in torrents anyway which defeats the principle of their non cooperation!

With pace they (waves) can deactivate the license on your lost/stolen iLok and issue you a new one. The fact that waves does not want to got the extra distance to provide that service and level of customer support proves that they as a company deserve to have their sotware pirated. Their products are overpriced for how good they actually are and they fuck over loyal customers.

You buy 15K+ worth of waves software, your iLok is lost/stolen/brole and they just say, oh well, not our problem, give us 15K+ more and we will let you use our product again. Fuck that. I had the same problem with guitar pro, I lost my key and didn't register the product so they wouldn't help me retrieve my key even though I had my receipt of purchase from guitar center. So I just downloaded a torrent.

Fuck companies that have these kind of ethics

Fuck Waves

With broken iloks the thing is different if I'm right. You send them the broken ilok, and when Pace receives it, they re-create new licenses automatically (no need to contact plugin companies) for your new ilok.
What I don't understand is why it couldn't be the same for lost/stolen ilok. Just deactivate licenses on the old one, and activate them on a new one when it's registered. Of course there is the possibility someone has stolen or found the ilok and uses the licenses, but damn, in the meantime you're fucked. What is the result ? The pirate will have the product either way, but you as a legit owner, are fucked.

@006 : ZDT is only about giving you 2 weeks licences, and making them permanent only if they get your broken ilok. In the end it's only about receiving 2 weeks tempo licenses, nothing more. It does't protect you more. It's just for studios who wanna keep on working on their current project with no interruption.

@006 : ZDT is only about giving you 2 weeks licences, and making them permanent only if they get your broken ilok. In the end it's only about receiving 2 weeks tempo licenses, nothing more. It does't protect you more. It's just for studios who wanna keep on working on their current project with no interruption.

Yeah I was actually duped into buying ZDT during my freakout because I thought you got replacement licenses.. nope they only work for 2 weeks

With broken iloks the thing is different if I'm right. You send them the broken ilok, and when Pace receives it, they re-create new licenses automatically (no need to contact plugin companies) for your new ilok.

That's right, you just have to pay the shipping, and then they even offer you a brand new iLok, if you pay the shipping of course...even if your broken iLok is still in warranty period and it just stopped working!

But you don't need to contact the plugin companies, they just load the licenses on you account again so you can download them on another iLok.

What a load of ass, really. All of that is ridiculous. While the iLok is a good idea, they seem to be quite willing to screw you over. I have yet to convince myself to shell out the $40-$50 to use a program I've already paid for.

just torrent them if you cant get them back. i think thats fair.

+1. Honestly I'd just contact waves and explain. If they won't give you a new license then fuck em torrent it. I don't condone pirating, but I think there are situations when these companies don't deserve your business. There's 2 companies (who shall remain nameless) who I gave a good deal of business to and they fucked me, so now I won't ever pay for their products ever again.

In this digital age, if you buy a legit product and use a legit protection system and they won't back you up for it...then too bad for them. Cause one way or another you're getting those plugs.

This is one of the shittiest parts about the digital age. I don't condone piracy but I do think it's fair to say that you are far more likely to be punished by legitimacy than punished for piracy.

LeSedna we offer Waves Theft and Loss Coverage to prevent situations like this from being too painful.
More info on Waves TLC can be found at http://www.wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=4077
It's free as part of your Waves Update Plan, but unfortunately not enough people think to take advantage
of it until it's too late (after loss or theft). I'm assuming this is the case here.

Give me a shout at tim@waves.com and I'll do what I can for you. Let me know it's in reference to this post.

LeSedna we offer Waves Theft and Loss Coverage to prevent situations like this from being too painful.
More info on Waves TLC can be found at http://www.wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=4077
It's free as part of your Waves Update Plan, but unfortunately not enough people think to take advantage
of it until it's too late (after loss or theft). I'm assuming this is the case here.

Give me a shout at tim@waves.com and I'll do what I can for you. Let me know it's in reference to this post.

no offense, but don´t you think that should simply be a part of your customer service and not an additional charge?