Lost my iLok. FUUUUUUUUU......

mva801

Nov 18, 2009
What a pain in the ass. I always carry it around to different studios so I can use my plugs, and I either misplaced it, or I left it at one and the buttholes who came in after me took it and lied about not seeing it. I've always been super careful with the damn thing.

So LUCKILY, my friend was going out of town for two weeks and loaned me his with a PT10, Trigger, autotune, and some waves licenses on it. Doesn't have everything but at least I can work for the next little bit.

Now I have to buy a new iLok, and ask for replacement licenses from all the companies I have software from . It's $40 JUST TO TALK TO SOMEONE at Avid. Who knows how slate, antares and waves deal with it.

God damn it. HOLD ON TO YOUR iLOKS, people.

Too bad VTM isn't on sale, or I'd pop for that as it comes with a free iLok 2....

Anyone else lose one or have an iLok stolen?

Yeah this can be painful for sure. Hopefully it will turn up.

This type of situation is one of several reasons why we moved away from iLok in our current Version 9 release. You would only need to be under the Waves Update Plan to get V9 and reauthorize. Complete details can be found at http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11997

If you have any other questions feel free to give us a shout at 865-909-9200 extension 2 or email me direct at tim@waves.com

Oh yea I forgot V9 did away with the iLok.... Well it's pretty cheap to get the update plan for me. I'll probably just do that. Thanks Tim!

Avid sent me a replacement license in like 3 minutes. $40 for the phone call and it took 3 minutes. What a joke. I've never seen a company require you to pay them just to fucking call customer service. After spending around $700 on Pro Tools updates the past couple years, I'd at least like to get 3 minutes of service without shelling out MORE. Boners.

Sent a message to Slate through the help desk. We'll see how they deal with replacements. Now need to check on Antares and Soundtoys....

Slate came through quick after an email. I'm almost back to full capacity! I'm glad I didn't buy their Zero Downtime crap. Just keep an extra iLok around, and it only takes a day really to get back up and running. Everyone was pretty fast. Had to spend $100 on a new iLok and Avid though....

Yeah this can be painful for sure. Hopefully it will turn up.

This type of situation is one of several reasons why we moved away from iLok in our current Version 9 release.

Btw. Tim, what happens if my USB Stick that holds my waves licences breaks?
Can I shift the licence to a new one then? Or do I need the old one connected to shift them?

Btw. Tim, what happens if my USB Stick that holds my waves licences breaks?
Can I shift the licence to a new one then? Or do I need the old one connected to shift them?

Waves V9 has an automatic license recovery option for broken, lost, stolen cases that is part of the Waves License Center. This option is available for USB Flash Drive or Computer authorization and will get you back up and running immediately. No need to contact anyone or wait for approval.

The only drawback is we had to put it on a one year cool down so it's not abused.

Waves V9 has an automatic license recovery option for broken, lost, stolen cases that is part of the Waves License Center. This option is available for USB Flash Drive or Computer authorization and will get you back up and running immediately. No need to contact anyone or wait for approval.

The only drawback is we had to put it on a one year cool down so it's not abused.

Ah great. I've never lost anything so far, but I recently had the thought what happens if that thing breaks :D

Just heard from Antares. They require you to notarize an affadavit detailing the theft and/or loss of your iLok, then a $25 fee. Apparently they're SUPER worried about fraudulent license claims. Ugh. They did put in a temporary license. I'll take my time with this notarizing crap though. Been wanting to try out Melodyne.

FWIW, everyone else was really easy to deal with. Even Avid, after that $40 bullshit charge to call them.

SoundToys and Slate digital came through quick and without further fees. Thanks to them for making it easier. Oh and Tim for the heads up!

I'm all back up and running save for jumping through those hoops for Autotune...

FWIW, everyone else was really easy to deal with. Even Avid, after that $40 bullshit charge to call them.

SoundToys and Slate digital came through quick and without further fees. Thanks to them for making it easier. Oh and Tim for the heads up!
This is the way it SHOULD be. Anti-piracy that punishes legitimate users can fuck off and go die in a fire.

Well let's just say I have a few options to tune vocals with instead of having to go through their circus. I've already paid for AT plus two upgrades. Just think it's funny. Let's piss off our ACTUAL customers, and make it easier for them to just pirate our shit as opposed to buy it and stay supported.....

They're the only one out of 5 companies who made it a hassle.

I hope some one from Antares sees this. Who would go to the trouble of committing fraud on something they legitimately own when you can d/l any program they make in 5 minutes?

The same fricking problem as the OP happened to me lately, bought a new one offcourse.

I have to give some major props to the Slate Support team, they helped me out and send me a new Trigger license within the same day. That's what i call service!

Let's see if Line 6 does the same, not that i use PodFarm anymore nowadays