Slate new subscription licence debate.

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I know there are a few conversations going on here and gear sluts but I could not find a dedicated thread on here so I thought I would ask a few questions for you all to answer....

I have read all the threads on gear sluts and on here, I have read the info on the Slate web site and I do understand what the deal is.
I am concerned, however, about what this means for people like me who already own MANY slate products and the fact that a few key questions have been avoided by Steven Slate when he answered posts on gear sluts.

Please bear in mind these are my opinions on the matter and I am not trying to claim to know better than Steven or anyone else here.

So, The initial thought of saving up to (or over) 80% is tempting at first.
The idea of only spending $200 - $300 a year instead of the nearly $1000 (according to Slate) is tempting too.

BUT...

1) lets say you run these plugins for a few years on subscription but then for some reason you can't afford it any more (or any other reason you can insert here) you then cancel your subscription and are left with nothing to show for the years of sub fees and the loyalty to Slate.
Just my opinion but this does not sit well with me.

2) So for loyal customers yeah its a few months free, which is nice, I understand they don't have to do this BUT by doing this I feel they are kind of admitting that there is some kind of unfairness to this deal otherwise they would not have bothered at all.
At the end of the first year you get a $200 voucher to spend at the store you don't need any more because you are on subscription.
Do you get this at the end of each year or just the first?

3) if Slate can let ALL of his plugins go for just over $200 a year I find it impossible to believe that he can continue to justify the current retail price point to buy them. Steven has said that the retail prices won't change from the $150 - $200 range.
For the subscription prices to sit well it would mean that the buy prices would have to be dropped considerably as well otherwise I can only see it as a penalty to those who just want to own the plugin.
I know Slate says nothing changes for those not wanting to participate but I don't feel that statement is entirely transparent and at the same time it is WAY to true. Yes, nothing changes, but maybe it should. As in the retail price point.
Those not wanting to participate in the subscription are being forced to pay WAY more for a product than others.
This compromises the value of the product immediately, doesn't it?
If future VMR modules would come out at a reasonable price (under $50) then it would be more fair.
Why should subscribers get such a big discount compared to the rest of us.
Even if it was a 20% saving it would entice people to subscribe but the people buying would not feel so ripped off.

My concern is this deal is really aimed at the bottom end users like bedroom warriors and top end pros with fully functional studios being run every day. For people like me in the middle it makes no financial sense to pay money (even at a lower price) and still not own the plugins after all is said and done.
I might save 50% or more over a few years but once I stop paying my subscription I will own nothing. Even at 50% discount being left with nothing at the end of it is not the best deal.
Or am I missing something obvious?

My two cents on the subject.

The hard part is I am a loyal Slate customer and I want to continue using his gear BUT this does change more than he is willing to admit.
IMHO.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Doesn't the voucher system answer your first question? I think that is the intent of it. You are paying more over the long run but gain immediate access and overtime permanent ownership.

Only if is a continuous voucher system, which I don't think it is.
If it is only one voucher after the first year then my thoughts still hold true.

The voucher system states every year you get 200 dollars of voucher to spend on owning license. Every year you spend 240 dollars but get to own 200. Of course, in the end, Slate is the winner (he runs a business, that's, all things considered, normal). But since he stated this, I am a little bit less surprised by it.

I still plan to purchase out right. There's nothing forcing me into the subscription model although I definitely see the perks. Not doing this professionally I can't commit to a monthly expense (although there isn't any problem picking it up if there is a single project I jones for it for) so I'll do what I have and save up and buy any of the many times he does sales. If anything, I might use the subscription model to "demo" them for a bit and if I can't live without then I'll buy it. It seems like a whole bunch of chicken little the sky is falling. We all continue on as we have, there is just another option which might be better for different people in different situations.

The voucher system states every year you get 200 dollars of voucher to spend on owning license. Every year you spend 240 dollars but get to own 200. Of course, in the end, Slate is the winner (he runs a business, that's, all things considered, normal). But since he stated this, I am a little bit less surprised by it.

From the slate web site:

"You're going to love this. After twelve months, get a $200 COUPON to use in the Slate store and get whatever you want! So that means after twelve months, you'll have spent $239. So now you'll get $200 of that RIGHT BACK!!!"

This doesn't say EVERY year...

I know it doesn't say once either but that's the point.
I think most arguments people are having adopting this idea is based on the wording here.
If it is once a year I'm in BUT, this makes it even cheaper for subscribers and makes it even harder to justify charging $200 to own a single plugin out right.

i always thought that slate plugins had a fair price tag, especially considering the introduction prices etc.
not i'm scared that the price tag will be raised a lot, justifying it by saying, you don't have to buy the plugs, you can rent them now...

I still plan to purchase out right. There's nothing forcing me into the subscription model although I definitely see the perks. Not doing this professionally I can't commit to a monthly expense (although there isn't any problem picking it up if there is a single project I jones for it for) so I'll do what I have and save up and buy any of the many times he does sales.

I'm with you on this. However, I have a bad feeling that the new VMR modules will be too expensive to buy outright.

yeah its where I am at too.
I have gone from feeling good about being legit to feeling a bit ripped off.
Can't please all the people I guess.

Still all could be well if I find an answer to the voucher thing though.
That will be the tipping point for me I think.

In my opinion, it's a great idea. If for example, you don't own Slate products, you can essentially rent them whenever you need them.

I think people are looking at it purely from the "I own Slate products" point of view.

I just ordered that special they had a month or so ago where you get the Tube part of VCC with a free iLok (still waiting for it to arrive)

So for me this is a great scheme which I'll definitely be signing up for asap, looking forward to it actually.

Going out and blowing...a whole bunch of money all at once I wouldn't normally do, but having a little bit come off your bank account every month, like paying for internet or whatever, I won't even notice it.

its a great option.

you have a choice. nothing to lose your shit over. thread over.

I understand the choice.

I am not loosing my shit, I am simply putting my thoughts out to gather others opinions to help me.

Since people have mentioned that the voucher is most likely more than a one shot deal (the Slate web site still needs to be more black and white about this than it is at the moment) I can see the benefit in the subscription so this thread was not a waste of time. In fact it served its purpose perfectly.

In a nutshell :

If the voucher plan is permanent, then it is fine because you own 80% or so of what you invest (without de value of plugins into consideration). It is like buying a flat with interests.

If not, then they are selling a service only therefore you are not getting any ownership on plugin licenses, you are throwing money out of the window, so you better make money out of them, or be okay with the principle.

If he releases 200 dollars worth of plugins a year, that's fine as well. If not, you are getting less bang for buck than if you buy licenses

On this I would also like to know if those vouchers can be kept eternally on your account. Because maybe at a given time, for us people who already own his plugins, maybe in a year or so, there will not be plugins we really really want to use and buy and not having to use the voucher in the next 30 days or so would be good.

He said he tripled his developers team so we can expect more plugins a year. I just hope they are really good plugins with a definite value and not "we are releasing channel X of this plugin". For example he said there will be a "all button 76 plug". It's a way to make two plugins out of a 1176 emulation.

He has tape, console, compressor, EQ, limiter, he will release a reverb. If he releases effects or other things like that the added value will be good, if he releases definite models of compressors and EQ as well.

I'm just hoping he releases improved stability because I must say I never had problems until VMR and it is the absolute only plugin I own which makes my reaper crash. And this is supposed to be THE plugin !

I guess this isn't a bad idea for those who don't already own a ton of his plugs. I already have EVERYTHING. For now, if he adds a few modules to vmr I'll think about buying those separately. If and when he's added enough stuff that it's worth it for me to subscribe, I'll look into it.

Back when I was a pro tools user they used to let you rent plugs as well (not sure if they still do this). Not a groundbreaking strategy here, but one a lot of people might find useful.

EDIT:
Just looked and yes they still rent plugs.

I will say that the subscription model had better light a fire under their asses about bug fixes. Their focus on dev and hype of new stuff has left a lot of issues with older products. I'll certainly acknowledge they've stepped up recently but I'm still suspicious. My overall impression of slate stuff is positive and I hope steady money keeps them more grounded in the needs of current users.