Krank Rev vs Rev Jr Pro 50

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I just saw the Rev Jr Pro 50 and was wondering tone wise if it's up there with the Krank Rev? This would be strictly for recording..because of Guitarhack I now have to buy a krank but would rather go for the cheaper if it's the same tone wise just less wattage (did try the search on here but have not found a solid enough answer for this question) Anyone have direct experience with both???

Don't blame me if you don't like it. :lol: There are a few threads here with people trying to sell or trade their Kranks. They are an aquired taste. A 5150/6505 would cut through much better in a live situation so don't get rid of your 6505 if you want to play live. Recording I think I get better results with the Rev overall though. But that is just me and my busted-ass recording technique. :lol: I hear the Rev+, Jr and Jr Pro have more gain on tap than the original Revolution1 or Rev1. As far as my understanding goes, they are slightly different amps. The Rev1 does not have a choke whereas the Revolution1 has which results in a smoother tone. Whether the increased Gain on the newer models is a good or bad thing I am not sure. I have the original Revolution1 to give you a reference point.

I am keen to try a Jr Pro 50. After all of my advertising of the Rev, Krank should just give me one. :lol:.

Thanks Hack! ANyone have any experience with the jr pro?

I have the 20 watts version of the Rev Jr pro. Anything specific you wanna know?

To my ears it really sounds a lot like the Rev +. I mean A LOT... they're that much alike that I couldn't be bothered to buy the full-size Rev +.

It's got the jaw dropping kleen channel (crystal clear cleens and "edge of breakup"-sounds, also passable crunchy tones when the fx-boost is enabled) and the krank channel delivers the modernly voiced br00talz with the typical krank grind.

The sweep-knob is the key feature to its versatility: You can go from more loose, bass-heavy, lowmid pronounced tones to tight, cutting, highmid pronounced tones.

... and everything already on (considerably) low volumes.

With most amps with about 100 watts you usually have to crank the volume about half-way up to get to that point where the amp is "opening up". You get that effect with the Rev Jr much earlier and from a certain point on (around 3 o'clock) the amp doesn't really get any louder just get's more poweramp compression going.

And yes, It IS loud! I played everything from small, non-miced clubshows to bigger indoor festivals with it... and my back says "Thank you!" everytime. ;)