Krank Test #96

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I think I'm getting closer to where I want to get with this Krank, but I'm pretty inexperienced with micing amps so I need a bit of direction. The mix is still rough, as I'm mainly trying to nail a guitar tone for the moment. I've been getting really satisfactory results with this little amp and its hard for me to critique my own results, so a little advice from more experienced people might help me get going in the right direction.

Technical specifics: Schecter A-7 with "duncan designed" passive pickups > Boss SD-1 super overdrive (dare I say I might actually prefer this over the tube screamer? More tests are necessary.) > boss NS-2 noise suppressor > Krank Rev Jr > Marshall 1960B straight cab with stock celestions > One Sennheiser E609 slightly off axis at cone/dustcap union, and one Audix i5 slightly further on the dustcap and about an inch off the cloth > Allen&Heath mixer > presonus firepod. Slight EQ in the box.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=873313&content=songinfo&songID=7276015

SUPER muffled dude, really a better idea to stick with one mic when you're inexperienced IMO (and ideally it should be a 57; I've known a lot of people who hate it, but never heard a single good tone from any of 'em ;)) Cool riffage though, I really dig what I've heard of your tunes!

Damn maybe I should get my ears checked, haha. I thought I may have been on to something. I've been having a hard time getting anything remotely satisfying with a single mic, and usually when I blend a couple together I get much closer to what I'm looking for. It's probably just my ears leading me in strange directions. Ah well, back to the drawing board! :loco: Maybe next time I should use a reference tone.

Oh and thanks for the compliments on the tunes, BTW!

Im with tastic on this, I think that would be a killer ass tone if you single mic'ed with a 57....Those other mics just seem way to fuzzy to me.

Other than that sick song

Yea I'm thinking of giving that a go later today. I wish I could finish my reamp box. I want to do a blind mic shootout and have you guys help me decide on one from my limited collection, but being such a noob, I'm not sure how dependable the results would be, as there would be no way to get each mic in the same postion exactly, and I'm sure each mic would "prefer" slightly diferent positions anyway. Oh well, this is why I wanted a real amp. This shit is fun!

Slightly off topic: I've been casually contemplating a way to somehow leave the transformer in my sm57 but somehow wiring some sort of "transformer bypass switch" in it. I'm not sure how I'd pull it off, or if it would be worth the trouble, or if it's even possible, or how I'd get extra leads through all that glue, but it's worth contemplating. :err:

Dude, so many people have gotten amazing results from good ol' standard 57's, and in continuation of what I said above, I've never heard a good tone from anyone advocating the transformerless 57. At least make a valiant effort with it before trying something else!

I do really dig the tone, but like previously mentioned it's a bit dark. Not too bad though, after listening to the track a bit I'm really getting used to it and digging it. I would say fuck around more with the mics, and get more treble going there. (Rather than post-EQing)

Perhaps 2 57's would be worth a try instead.

Wanna hear a sad story? At one point I posessed 4 sm57s. Between loaning them out in different instances and designating some as temporary replacement live vocal mics, I'm now somehow down to one lonely survivor. :cry:

That's the main reason I haven't messed with the transformer yet, and as Metaltastic said, I still want to try it out some more before doing anything I regret.

I'm going to try another test. Same amp settings, but with my 57. I'll be back in a jiffy.

I think I need to EQ the bass quite a bit too. It's still just a rough mix, but I think its stepping all over the guitars, really.

I re-recorded the guitars with a single 57, and to be honest, I don't know if it's my ears or what, but I like the i5/e609 version assloads better. Theres a certain fizz going on with the 57 that I just can't kill. I experimented with slight position adjustments around the cone/dustcap joint area, and this is the best I could get. Maybe I have a funky 57? I added a bit of lowpass to try to tame the fizz but I could'nt eliminate it without actually altering the tone and losing air and definition.

On this version I also lowpassed the bass to try to get it away from the guitars without taking it out of the mix.

What am I doing wrong with the sm57?

Clip

I re-recorded the guitars with a single 57, and to be honest, I don't know if it's my ears or what, but I like the i5/e604 version assloads better. Theres a certain fizz going on with the 57 that I just can't kill. I experimented with slight position adjustments around the cone/dustcap joint area, and this is the best I could get. Maybe I have a funky 57? I added a bit of lowpass to try to tame the fizz but I could'nt eliminate it without actually altering the tone and losing air and definition.

On this version I also lowpassed the bass to try to get it away from the guitars without taking it out of the mix.

What am I doing wrong with the sm57?

Clip

Well, on the first clip you have your guitars a bit louder first of all..
What i really like about the first clip is that you have great attack allready, the base of the amp and how you recorded it is really good, allthough in that first clip it was muffled a bit, i think you should be able to clear things up with dialing it in differently or simply EQ-ing it.. just my two cents, amazing riffage btw!

Well, on the first clip you have your guitars a bit louder first of all..
What i really like about the first clip is that you have great attack allready, the base of the amp and how you recorded it is really good, allthough in that first clip it was muffled a bit, i think you should be able to clear things up with dialing it in differently or simply EQ-ing it.. just my two cents, amazing riffage btw!

What an honor to recieve compliments and advice from the Almighty Bob! I am I fan, sir. :worship:

Yea I'm thinking now that maybe I should try the i5/e609 thing again, but maybe use the EQ a bit on my mixer to increase the presence a bit. I'm still holding out a bit of hope for the 57 though.

I gotta say, I really did not like the i5 at all on guitars when I owned it, and I've never heard a good thing about the sound of the e609 (only about its convenience). Granted, I've never tried mic'ing a T75, but I doubt my impressions would change too much. And I think the 57 clip has way more potential, though I can tell you're too far from the dustcap - also, you may need more treble and/or presence on the amp, but it's a marked improvement! To me, the fizz you hear is a pleasing upper end; it takes some getting used to, but it's the sound that's pretty much defined metal guitar tones! (owing to the 57). The original clip is slightly less muffled, but has this unpleasant metallic quality probably coming from one or both of the mics.

After the tweaks Thedude did it sounds quite nice ¡¡¡¡
So Thedude, what did you do to the mix ? hi pass and cutting lowmids ?