Krank Test #96

SM57 Attempt #2

Sorry about the sloppiness. I did a shootout of sorts between the 57 and the i5 (both were actually fully on the dustcap, almost "touching" the seam between the cap and cone). The 57 won between the two mics, mainly because even though the tone with the i5 sounded beefier, the 57 had more midrange, so it made it on to this last clip. It sounds a bit thin to me still though. The fizz isn't as bad this time (I messed with the amp settings a bit) and it seems clearer than the other tries, but now it sounds kinda boring and thin to me. Maybe I'm setting my sights too high. This latest tone is usable but it just isn't exciting and sounds sort of typical and lame. It's not making me jizz in my pants, you know?

I think I'm done playing this song for today (wish I could reamp) but next time I think I'm going to try pairing the 57 with the e609. As much as many people seem to hate it, I think it may have contributed a lot to what I liked about the first clip. On axis I agree its pretty lame, but theres something about it a little off axis and paired with another mic that makes me like it.

Pretty cool, though the guitars need to come up, and still feel a bit muffled - that might be amp settings, though. I have no experience mic'ing a T75, so I can't give any advice in that respect, except to replace two in an X-pattern with V30s! :D

I think that if you play around with your 57 with placement a little more you will find what your looking for. That latest clip sounds a lot better I think.

After the tweaks Thedude did it sounds quite nice ¡¡¡¡
So Thedude, what did you do to the mix ? hi pass and cutting lowmids ?

I just added an EQ with a high shelf pretty high, avoiding the nasty high mids (I tried to at least), took away some low mid (200 somewhere) and a low shelf to get more "boom". It took a minute or so. I heard that the whole mix was dark, so it was a test that I liked.

Thanks btw. ;)

Damn boi, now you're getting it. That last clip was fucking sick. One question though, can your drummer actually play those bassdrum parts? :lol:

Cool, it's good to know I'm headed in the right direction. As for my drummer, I think of him sort of as an imaginary friend. He's Scandanavian. No one knows for sure exactly where he's from, as it's a mystery that he won't uncover, but he's pretty good. He just ventured our of the icy lands of the north on foot, drumsticks in hand. Unfortunately he says he'll never play live. :cry: