Mic'd Cab Always sounds terrible

Ok, i've played a little with cab excursion lately....and it seems it changes the sound from "IIII" to "AAA" in a way....
Is it the actual movement of the speakers that does this, or is it the tubes being pushed harder? The sound "does" become a little more "blunt"....

I would guess it's the cab, but what do I know....

Also, would you guyes recoment me to stop increasing the volume at the point I get cab excursion, or should I get it even louder?

Ok, i've played a little with cab excursion lately....and it seems it changes the sound from "IIII" to "AAA" in a way....
Is it the actual movement of the speakers that does this, or is it the tubes being pushed harder? The sound "does" become a little more "blunt"....

I would guess it's the cab, but what do I know....

Also, would you guyes recoment me to stop increasing the volume at the point I get cab excursion, or should I get it even louder?

It's probably both. Power tube distortion is why EVH and others carried around devices that would run the current to their amps lower, why Kerry King insists on using JCM800s, why amps like Fenders sound 'cleaner' (even though they're not) when you crank them, et cetera. It'll add more body to the sound.

When the speakers get involved, they respond with more of what's driving them hardest - and as a result, less fizzle.

I'd say to go as loud as you can without it violating city ordinance or sounding bad.

Also, spend a lot of time on mic placement. If you're using that i5, it's not going to be nearly as bitchy about placement as a 57 but it's still important to not have it too close to or far from the center. I'd aim for where cone meets dustcap and tinker from there. Also, make sure not to get too close to, or far from, the cabinet itself because the proximity effect will change a lot of things - also, it may sound good on its own and be trash in the mix. The i5 doesn't drop nearly as much low end as a 57, so you don't need it completely smashed by the speaker.

I'd also say to stick with the V30s, as they'll be easiest to compare with other forum clips.

Jeff