Is dual mic'ing worth the hassle?

Well, that sounds like a good plan. A 57 & 421 can be very cool as well.... I've messed around with it, but never been happy enough with it to put it on a record.... but I'd use a 421 before an e609 silver.

Hell, try quad tracks: 57 & RE20, 57 & 421, or something like that & stack 'em.

Well, that sounds like a good plan. A 57 & 421 can be very cool as well.... I've messed around with it, but never been happy enough with it to put it on a record.... but I'd use a 421 before an e609 silver.

Hell, try quad tracks: 57 & RE20, 57 & 421, or something like that & stack 'em.
Yeah, I might give that a shot. The 421 is a good idea. Thanks Oz.

421 and 57 fucking rules, I used it on my last mic'ing project, and I absolutely loved the combo - the 57 had all the upper midrange cut, the 421 had all the body

I place mics individually each based on the best tone for that Speaker/Mic pair.

I don't view this a solving the phase as much as using phase as an EQ and it works wonderfully as an EQ.

As a starting point to calibrate and find the point of most phase alignment:

1) Track two mics as a stereo track (one left and one right)
2) Visually compare the waves to find the number of samples difference
3) Dial that into SampleDelay
4) I invert one of the signals (mics) and if my sample calc is correct, with the output set to mono, this will give the least level out. Note with one signal inverted, frequencies with the most output will have the least when use normally and vise versa.
5) Return the inverted signal back to normal.

With this complete you can now use SampleDelay as an EQ one Sample at a time.

With the Sonalksis Stereo plugin you can mix the mic, selecting 100% one mic all the way to the other 100%.
Will the sample delay plug work if i have tracked the mics in seperate mono tracks?