Krankenstein + Boss NS2 (noise suppressor) issue

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I'm unable to run this setup on my Krank, the so-called "4 cable approach":

guitar -> NS2 INPUT-> NS2 SEND to Krankenstein input -> Krank SEND to NS2 RETURN -> NS2 OUT to Krankenstein RETURN

I get serious volume issues when I do this, ie not even loud enough to jam with drums. Anyone know why this is happening? I could do it fine on my 5150. I've tried pretty much everything, but no workie.

The 2 cable approach works fine, which is what I'm using now, but I'd like to get a little more out of the NS2 if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any help.

I remember reading up on Krank amps when I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy the Revolution or the Krankenstein...and one of the things that Dimebag wanted on the Krankenstein was a separate volume control for the FX loop. If you haven't already tinkered with the loop level...then I'm sure that's where your problem is.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't run the NS2 on the loop, straight?
It's what I did on my 5150 days, the NS2's send going into a tuner for silent tuning.
Could you clarify the advantages of the 4 cable aproach?

Sweetnothing said:
Is there any reason why you wouldn't run the NS2 on the loop, straight?
It's what I did on my 5150 days, the NS2's send going into a tuner for silent tuning.
Could you clarify the advantages of the 4 cable aproach?
The advantage of the 4 cable approach is that you have two places where noise-suppression is being applied. First, just the loop and then just your guitar. In theory I thought it would be great, but I found the ISP Decimator to be the best noise-supressor out there.

wishtheend said:
The advantage of the 4 cable approach is that you have two places where noise-suppression is being applied. First, just the loop and then just your guitar. In theory I thought it would be great, but I found the ISP Decimator to be the best noise-supressor out there.
Aha I see, but the NS2 is very aggressive in the loop already, never needed a gate before and after the preamp stage, but I see your point ;)
Yeah, the ISP is one of the best, but it's too pricey here, ppl I know have it and speak wonders about it

Genius Gone Insane said:
Yes there is vol control and yes I did play with it. No luck. All my other pedals work fine in the loop. It's just the NS2. And I tried another NS2 as well, same problem.

Are the loops both the same? I'm not familiar with FX loops, but do they both work in the same way?

My friend bought the ISP Decimator a long time ago and it just wouldn't work with his Laney. It worked with my 5150, Dual Recto, PowerBall, Marshalls, and MarkIV, so I bought it from him, lol.

Internet Service Provider Decimator ftw!!! :lol:

A little inside joke...

Anyway, I really don't see why you'd need so much noise suppression...is the amp that noisy? If so...I'll really never even think about getting one.

~e.a

Meh...I think I've made up my mind about Kranks...I'm sure some people get great results with them, but I'll stick with Mesa if I'm going to spend that much on a head. They just don't sound like anything special to me, but cheers to those that bought one and like it!

~e.a

GGI - Yeah, it happened with the ISP Decimator too, it would simply not work with his Laney head, but all of mine, it did. It was very odd. He was really pissed because in the course of him trying to make it work, he actually scuffed it up a lot, and couldn't return it. That's when I came over to see if I could make it work (he tends to *think* he knows shit :p) and I couldn't get it to work either. So we brought it to the studio and I ran it into all of my amp's FX loops and inputs, etc. All of them worked. Just strange.

~e.a

Where around here have you gotten to play them, EA? Only place I know of is Sam Ash, and they hate that amp because you have to actually hear it to know if it sounds good...

It would be nice to hear one at a usable volume, the little I've heard has been good but I think I haven't spent enough time with them.

EDIT: EA, Now that I know you're around, when do you want the tacos?

Jeff

Lol, Jeff, what do you mean "where around here have you gotten to play them", do you mean Laneys? Or the ISP? Or what?

~e.a

I've been using this with all of my high gain amps for years now without problems...I think the guys that made this are making the current ISP decimator pedals. It's cool because it has 2 channels so if you want to go from your distortion channel to clean all you have to do is tap to the other channel on the pedal but all in all, it's awesome. I have the Line 6 POD XT now so I have a couple of pedals up on auction. Also, you use this in the front of the head before your delay in the chain...Best part is it dosen't take away your tone and it quiets up noisy pickups.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&item=160024062180&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

The Kranks - what dealers are in town that will let me crank them? Or did you try them out somewhere else?

Krank and ISP are completely out of my range, so it'll just be for kicks, but I'd like to try those amps (and see if I really give a fuck enough for a noise suppressor some other time).

Jeff

Carcass - Actually the guy that started ISP developed the HUSH technology for Rocktron, not the NS-2 for Boss...but regardless, yeah it's a dude that left some other dudes and made his own company with some new dudes that is better than his old dude's company. :lol:

JB - I tried the Revo and Krankenstein both at Sam Ash...fuck them, just crank it dude. Thats what I do. I would just go into any store and crank any amp. lol.

~e.a

JBroll - I dunno about over in the states, because I didn't really have much chance to sit down and get to know any amps. But over here in the UK, they have Semi-Soundproofed rooms, where you can crank the amps up a bit.

E.A - I suppose Krank amps are generally kinda thin sounding, they're not one you can scoop without loosing a lot of the tone. I never got a good tone out of them when I've tried them I found them to be pretty thing, but then again like I said above, I never got a chance to spend that much time with one. I couldn't get a good tone out of a JSX, due to family bugging me, so I had like 30mins tops with an amp, and being a lefty most guitars I tried had shit pickups.

GGI - I know the Krank Tech pretty well, we've exchanged lots of e-mail's and I met him when they gave me the tour. So if you want me to e-mail him about this, just lemme know.