Boss Noise Gate and Noise Suppressor

GodslasheR

Northen Thrashing Madness
Mar 14, 2002
singapore
raspatul.tk
Hello Andy and everyone here, can you guys give me some advise on which one is a better choice? The Noise Gate NF-1 or the Noise Suppressor NS-2? Was checking out some reviews on the net and found out that the NS-2 is more 'intelligent' than the Noise Gate NF-1 in a sense that the NS-2 is able to know the difference between guitar sound and noise, which meant that the NS-2 will only eliminate noise and let the guitar sound cut through and the NF-1 will eliminate anything than is lower than the threshold level, regardless of guitar sound or noise. How true is all these? I need to know which is better in everyone's opinion? Thanks!!

GodslasheR said:
Hello Andy and everyone here, can you guys give me some advise on which one is a better choice? The Noise Gate NF-1 or the Noise Suppressor NS-2? Was checking out some reviews on the net and found out that the NS-2 is more 'intelligent' than the Noise Gate NF-1 in a sense that the NS-2 is able to know the difference between guitar sound and noise, which meant that the NS-2 will only eliminate noise and let the guitar sound cut through and the NF-1 will eliminate anything than is lower than the threshold level, regardless of guitar sound or noise. How true is all these? I need to know which is better in everyone's opinion? Thanks!!

Ok, I have the NF-1 Noise Gate, made in Japan.

I've also had the NS-2 Noise Suppressor.

Winner is the NF-1 Noise Gate dude, at least for my experience. I own a Randall RH100 head which is VERY noisy, actually, it makes it impossible to play through the distorted channel without using some kind of noise eliminator, honestly, it sucks big time that way. BUT, I use the NF-1 through the loop and it totally kills the feedback and the hum making the amp sound very clean and controlled. One day, a friend of mine gave me his NS-2 for a test drive, and guess what... I placed it through the loop and with the smae settings as the NF-1 and it didn't work AT ALL, I then started to play around with the settings and again, it was all crap. Same happened when connected in line from the guitar, so again, not very useful for me.

When I get my 6505 head I will use the Rocktron Hush pedal which the guys at Arch Enemy claim to use.

I'm pleased with my NS-2. We play at very high volume at our rehersals and it works really good. You just have to mess around with it for a while to find the right adjustments. The adjustments may vary a great deal from NF-1.
I have rectifier, so I couldn't play without a noise suppressor.

Never tried the boss noise gate, so can't say anything about that.

DURBANS said:
When I get my 6505 head I will use the Rocktron Hush pedal which the guys at Arch Enemy claim to use.

I have a Rocktron hush rackmount and I find that when I use it that it sucks a bit of tone out of the guitar sound. These days since I have a decent guitar I like to play without a noise gate at all.
But I think the rocktron may do the job live without many ppl noticing

This is exactly what I use and at the moment and it sounds fantatsic, the only thing i would critisize it that the jack sockets on the Rocktron are the wrong way round. No problem if your using it on its own but try putting it with other pedals!!

I highly suggest using the ISP Decimator. It doesn't have any effect on your tone{ as far as I can hear}.

I am getting a 6505 head soon and I am curious to see which product works best. I am putting my money on the NS-2 based on my experience with it with my friend's Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Put the NS-2 in FRONT of the amp and some rack based GATE on the loop....only thing that really works.... You'll need gating in front and after the gain stage. Try it and you'll see why, uless you play with less gain that is...

The NS-2 will take away feedback and all that, the gate will make the amp dead silent when not playing or doing fear factory/meshuggah stuff...

Thanxs to everyone who posted in their comments and advise, really appreciated it :)

Well it seems like no one is talking about the Noise Gate NF-1? I am actually more interested in the NF-1 as i am very close to getting a used NF-1. I would also like to hear from someone who have used a NS-2 as well as a NF-1 and give me some ideas on which is a better choice?

blackcom said:
Put the NS-2 in FRONT of the amp and some rack based GATE on the loop....only thing that really works.... You'll need gating in front and after the gain stage. Try it and you'll see why, uless you play with less gain that is...

The NS-2 will take away feedback and all that, the gate will make the amp dead silent when not playing or doing fear factory/meshuggah stuff...

The NS-2 is designed to be used BOTH in front AND in the FX loop. I'm also hearing really good things about the ISP Decimator. Anyone have experience with it?

GodslasheR said:
Thanxs to everyone who posted in their comments and advise, really appreciated it :)

Well it seems like no one is talking about the Noise Gate NF-1? I am actually more interested in the NF-1 as i am very close to getting a used NF-1. I would also like to hear from someone who have used a NS-2 as well as a NF-1 and give me some ideas on which is a better choice?

Hey!

Did you read the first reply to your post? It was me and I have tried both on the same amp with the same guitar. NF-1 works for me (and my amp specifically), I already told you that, read again to get more details.

Hi Durbands, thank you so much for your useful advise, really appreciate it :)

I guess there was an overwhelming feedback on the NS-2 that i forgot about your earlier post, I truly apologise for that..

I do not use as much gain on my Sansamp GT2 ( I am using a TS-9 with it ), so it does not cause irritating feedback but there is definitely some amp noise when i am not playing the guitar.. I have seen reviews about the NS-2 stating that it does take away some of the highs. Does the NF-1 behave in such a way from your personal experience?

Not at all, it works perfectly, you don't hear a tonal difference, just no noise.

Plus, mine is the NF-1 japanese made model.

Here's all the noise gates I've played around with... I prefer noise gates as opposed to suppressors (I think that its best to keep the amp's tone unaltered and just kill the the feedback / white noise when you're not playing).

I use an NS-2 with my 5150, with the 4 cable method (input (pedal) - Guitar, output (pedal) - effects return, return (pedal) - effects send, send (pedal) - amp input; I think that's what it is, but I'm not 100% sure, it shows you this setup in the manual for the pedal) and it makes my amp completely silent, to the point of not hearing anything coming out of the speaker until you play and doesn't alter the tone at all. The key is to use in 'gate' mode not noise reduction mode, the reduction mode just doesn't seem to work right. If you just throw it in the loop alone you're still gonna get feedback here and there, probably, and if you throw it just in front you'll get a lot of white noise. As far as value oriented noise gates, this is the way to go. ~$70 brand new...

I have an NF-1 that I let the other guitar player in my band use. Works pretty well, doesn't really effect tone too much, but doesn't get all the feedback especially during quick stops. Bottom line: Pretty good but the NS-2 is better.

ISP Decimator pedal version is excellent, very NF-1 like, but completely transparent. Probably the best pedal noise gate out there, but value wise I'd take the NS-2 over it.

ISP Decimator rackmount is amazing. Completely transparent (like my above implimentation of the NS-2). No matter the gain setting it does probably the best job out of any noise gate I've played with. Takes a while to tweak properly, but once you get it setup then you won't hear feedback. The best rackmount noise gate that I've used.

Rocktron Hush / IICX rackmounts both were terrible and tone suckers.

Rocktron Hush "The Pedal" (single channel) absolutely sucked. Sucked tone immensely and created a ton of extra white noise (which led to a lot of just hissing).

Rocktron Hush "The Pedal" (dual channel) was okay. Sucked a fair amount of tone but didn't create so much white noise. I wonder if the Arch Enemy guys had theirs modded?