Labels worth looking at> Nate the great

unhinged

R.i.P. Lizard
Mar 9, 2004
northern ireland
www.unhinged.me.uk
Aiming this at Nathan in particular, since I'm listening to a cursed track on the goodfellows site, also really enjoyed the intronaut tracks,
the label seems pretty genuine, so I'm going to send them a copy of headworm. Something do occasionally because I think it deserves a wider release.(new cover all of that stuff) I have one label in the UK who want to do it but can't make up thier fucking minds about anything.(it comes down to touring a lot, which we don't)

I should maybe wait to see what happens with the album on code666 (vermiculatus) but it keeps getting delayed. Also the mcd we're going to do soon may have a home already, if not that'll just be on our own label.

heres the thing>>>the album that we're going to be working on as soon as thats done is a monster. Its a trilogy (3 album length songs) and I think we're going to release it as 2 or more likely 3 disks. they'll be recorded and released one at a time. I want to create the art + packaging so that they all link together as a whole. fairly ambitious project i 'm sure you'll agree
the problem is that that will require some serious commitment from a label over a few years.
even singuarly its not the type of material thats going to be easy to market.

so I'm looking for ideas on labels to pitch it to.

any ideas?

Surely you've checked with Willowtip. That'd be my first recommendation.

Here's some others:

Bestial Onslaught (www.bestialonslaught.com)
Profound Lore (www.profoundlorerecords.com)
Goodfellow (you're already on that)
At A Loss (www.atalossrecordings.com)
Translation Loss (www.translationloss.com)

You might as well contact Dark Symphonies (www.darksymphonies.com), since they released som Maudlin of the Well stuff. They're pretty small, though.

I know Hydra Head might be out of you radar, but what about Tortuga (www.tortugarecordings.com).

You should also try Ipecac (www.ipecac.com).

There's probably a billion others, but that's all I can think of right now. There's definitely a whole list of black metal labels, but I don't know that they'd get you much distribution.

Don't forget about Listenable (www.listenable.net) in France, I think. They seem like they migh be perfect, but distribution would be minimal.

unhinged said:
heres the thing>>>the album that we're going to be working on as soon as thats done is a monster. Its a trilogy (3 album length songs) and I think we're going to release it as 2 or more likely 3 disks. they'll be recorded and released one at a time.

sweet chocolate christ this is gonna rule. man i wish i had the cash to start a label.

Yeah Hydrahead and Tortuga would be cool. They do have some different type bands on there. Maybe Neurot Recordings? Every band on that label has somethig new to offer and it's not like any of that stuff s easily marketable, and I doubt touring is a big necessity.

J. said:
sweet chocolate christ this is gonna rule. man i wish i had the cash to start a label.

Yeah Hydrahead and Tortuga would be cool. They do have some different type bands on there. Maybe Neurot Recordings? Every band on that label has somethig new to offer and it's not like any of that stuff s easily marketable, and I doubt touring is a big necessity.

cheers J
believe me, I'm only giving the minimum info on this theres more to it :D
unfortunatly, money isn't the main concern with starting a label, its really time
of which i seem to have less + less
it would be good if vermitronic could be an imprint label then we could be a proper production company without all the after shit to worry about...but then look what happened to elitist.
we'll definatly still release some of our own stuff but I think albums need a bit of a hand:bah:

hydrahead would be sound of course, but I don't see it happening

tortuga, I'll look into more for sure, its a subsiduary of hydrahead isn't it?

KILL TULLY said:
Metalheadz

QUOTE]

cool site...I'll leave it at that

lurch70 said:

would be nice
probably one to approach after the c666 release + their could be more distribution connections with them
probably out of our league though....but hey theyve got voivod

Nate The Great said:
Surely you've checked with Willowtip. That'd be my first recommendation.

Here's some others:

Bestial Onslaught (www.bestialonslaught.com)
Profound Lore (www.profoundlorerecords.com)
Goodfellow (you're already on that)
At A Loss (www.atalossrecordings.com)
Translation Loss (www.translationloss.com)

You might as well contact Dark Symphonies (www.darksymphonies.com), since they released som Maudlin of the Well stuff. They're pretty small, though.

I know Hydra Head might be out of you radar, but what about Tortuga (www.tortugarecordings.com).

You should also try Ipecac (www.ipecac.com).

There's probably a billion others, but that's all I can think of right now. There's definitely a whole list of black metal labels, but I don't know that they'd get you much distribution.

Don't forget about Listenable (www.listenable.net) in France, I think. They seem like they migh be perfect, but distribution would be minimal.

Willowtip never got back to us, even after brian livoti gave us a plug there, so no interest

Bestial Onslaught: probably too black - troo for us
I think I had contact with this guy ages ago though, seemed to be into the shit

Profound Lore , At A Loss , translation loss, Dark Symphonies
all those look promoising especially the first 2: cheers for those

ipecac would of course be delightful, but theyre pretty much opposed to accepting material,

I think listenable are a decent label but too concentrated on death metal

cheers for all the ideas so far lads

Here's another one I thought of: Neurotic Records. They're an upstart label with only a few bands on their roster (Arsebreed, Corpus Mortale, Panzerchrist, Psycroptic, Prostitute Disfigurement, Ruins, Sauron, Spawn of Possession, and Visceral Bleeding), but they're quickly gaining ground, much like Willowtip has done in recent years. Worth looking into at least.

:wave:

vendlus looks very interesting, very varied releases
I'll put them in my 'to contact' list for sure

audio savant: don't see them being interested, we'd be too metal I think

codebreaker tried before, zero response

cheers again guys

Paul -- I'll second/third VENDLUS. Great label, avante garde, and they really like to make the extra effort to get the packaging just right. Joseph runs Vendlus and knows us over here at RC, feel free to mention me if it helps. He's also helped me in the past with details on how to set up a label, get distribution up and running etc. Something I'm still very keen on but in all realistic terms may just wait until the young 'un is a little older.

All round, Vendlus just ooze with professionalism and integrity. (Same with Chris Bruni and the guys over at Profound Lore, but I think their MO is to re-release existing albums on vinyl first and foremost, but this might be changing).

The fact that Vendlus picked up Wolves in the Throne Room just adds to their credibility IMO.

While i dont represent vendlus in any way as far as buisness goes but i do admin its forums and have known joseph for years i think i can speak for vendlus a little. I think he might entertain the idea of one album if you approached him as someone interested in pushing boundries and had lots of solid ideas. But, the idea of you getting someone to release a trilogy is not going to happen as far as i can tell unless something amazing happens like your first cd sells 5000 units or something. This goes for any label and not just vendlus, to be realistic people are not going to hand over that kind of deal unless you're absolutely the hottest shit around.

Dont quote me on that 5000 unit thing it was just an example, i really have not the slightest clue as to how many units someone would have to sell to finance a second and third album and turn a profit. Its probably alot closer to 2000/3000 but i have not the slightest idea as i am just a monkey for joe and dont deal with those sorts of things.

Buisness bad music good ughugh.

While we're talking Vendlus and its bands, I'll say that anyone who hasn't yet should definitely check out Audiopain.