Nate the Great - have you listened to Spektr or Moss yet?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
"The Near Death Experience" released on Candlelight.
neardeathexperience_cover.jpg

This is probably some of the most disturbing music I've heard (whilst still maintaining some synergy with standard musical composition), so this isn't noise manipulation and we're not verging into the vomit-inducing territory of Khanate's "Things Viral" here.

Surprise surprise, Spektr hail from France. You can hear some similarity to Blut Aus Nord, particularly the chainsaw buzz in the riffs. But there's so much more to it than just that....the overall ambience of the album offers some duality in nature. On one hand, where some of it might sound very modern and nihilstic, there's a strange sense of antiquity embedded within.

If ever there was a lost recording of BM made in 1860, played in some old cabin in the woods, and then brought to life by the necromonicon itself, Spektr's "Near Death Experience" would be it. Scratchy, old, subliminal horror.

Remember in the Sixth Sense when those ghosts would communicate via the white noise of the tape hiss? This is where Spektr exists.

"Cthonic Rites" released on Aurora Borealis.
moss.jpg

Moss have created a 2 song soundtrack, inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft. It's played at a funeral doom pace but entrenched in cinematic horror (as opposed to suicidal depression). This isn't drone a la Sunn 0))) in that it's not mechanical sounding in the least (and I'm specifically referencing their "black" album which might seem like the obvious comparison point).

Here's some propaganda: "Crushing, desolate granduer. Vast and expansive melancholia pierced by torturous screams and thundering low-end at a mournful pace. And produced by Jus Osborn of Electric Wizard no less. "

I think I posted a thread about Spektr around 6 months ago, but it was ignored (as usual).

They're actually on Blut Aus Nord's label, and distributed by Candlelight.

They are quite good and dark. Another release that I couldn't decide if it should be on my year end list.

I've never heard Moss, though. I'll definitely check them out.

I'd like to sample NAD's Spektr too.

"The Near Death Experience" released on Candlelight.
neardeathexperience_cover.jpg

This is probably some of the most disturbing music I've heard (whilst still maintaining some synergy with standard musical composition), so this isn't noise manipulation and we're not verging into the vomit-inducing territory of Khanate's "Things Viral" here.

Surprise surprise, Spektr hail from France. You can hear some similarity to Blut Aus Nord, particularly the chainsaw buzz in the riffs. But there's so much more to it than just that....the overall ambience of the album offers some duality in nature. On one hand, where some of it might sound very modern and nihilstic, there's a strange sense of antiquity embedded within.

If ever there was a lost recording of BM made in 1860, played in some old cabin in the woods, and then brought to life by the necromonicon itself, Spektr's "Near Death Experience" would be it. Scratchy, old, subliminal horror.

Remember in the Sixth Sense when those ghosts would communicate via the white noise of the tape hiss? This is where Spektr exists.
JK, you could probably make a bowl of diarrhea sound enticing. Oh look... you just did.:loco:

Zod

They totally missed out on Moss and those guys are British.

When Moss released a split doing some SWANS cover, I thought Terrorizer would take notice then.

Then Moss released an EP in some weird handmade box, made from steel and nails or something.

They're probably too underground.

JayKeeley = bottom feeder :loco:

I heard a little Spektr and remember it being pretty blah. Maybe I should revisit. Haven't heard Moss.

9 times out of 10 you're going to listen to Spektr and think it's as shit as shit can be.

Sometimes in life, things hit you by complete coincidence. Perhaps the stars are aligned in such a way, who knows.

It seems like something I might like. I should probably listen some more, as in all honesty, I'm often really slow to make up my mind on stuff like this. I've seen some pretty mixed reviews. Same with Khlyst (speaking of Khanate).

Any love for The Axis of Perdition around these parts?

Replace "black metal" with "death metal", and "old cabin in the woods" with "old mental asylum" and you've got an apt description for the Aussie band Portal. Uploads forthcoming *sigh*

Décadent;5768457 said:
Replace "black metal" with "death metal", and "old cabin in the woods" with "old mental asylum" and you've got an apt description for the Aussie band Portal. Uploads forthcoming *sigh*

still not giving up eh? :loco:

I lisened to the Spektr disc and while they do create great aural landscapes as Ali describes the creepiness factor is somewhat lacking ... BAN has them beat hands down on that aspect and Axis of Perdition on the violent scary front.

These guys are a bit more cohesive though ... but again I detect a slight air of tongue in cheek delivery that makes this ... well kind of corny

I did find interest in Spektr... but I'm a sucker for anything ambient sounding. I think they have the crisp that BAN sometimes lack... and are generally more metal based. They don't top Nortt, but that's a hard thing to do.
Matter a fact, I'm listening to this right now, and it rocks.

Nice review by the way.

<<This isn't drone a la Sunn 0))) in that it's not mechanical sounding in the least (and I'm specifically referencing their "black" album which might seem like the obvious comparison point).>>

Oddly enough, I just checked out one of Moss' songs (Beyond Despair) immediately after listening to the Sunn/Boris collaboration, and while it sounded perfectly natural following Blood Swamp in that both songs are drone as fuck, I could easily note the differences you're stressing. BTW, the same can be said regarding Altar in comparison to any other SunnO))), it sounds less like an exercise in maximum volume and more genuinely composed.

Yes, I tracked it down in the UK before any reissue

It is a MASSIVE listen, way too deep for me. I'm probably gonna trade it off to be honest, so if you want it, let me know...I don't see myself pulling it off the shelf all too often

I sense you would listen to this stuff more than me simply because you like Boris and Sunn O)) etc, but this is like their evil psychotic counterpart. It's a complete trip into HP Lovecraft dementia, and I'm certain it's better suited to those under the influence nudge nudge wink wink