Lacuna Coil

Lacuna is an awesome band! However, MOST of their output is similar to "Swamped". There's not a lot of 'differentiation': very few solos, etc. Most of the songs are very straightforward, yet are quite emotional.

The newest CD, "Coma Lies" is, IMO, their best release yet!

lacuna is great.. i got not there newest cd, but the one before it... it is great how the female vox are used, and at the same time, the male vox blend beautifully! also the music is sick!

i bought yesterday the vinyl edition of "comalies": the first side is great, never thought they could play that way without seeming repetitive... very, very good album!

Pretty good band, Christina's voice is sexy as hell. They have their faults, such as not too much variation, and they underuse the male vocals IMO, they had something good going on the first album (not the ep) in that regard, but haven't developed it.
Still, worth getting into, I like them. :D

I was a bit disappointed with Comalies compared to their other albums. Each album has fewer and fewer heavy, driving, head-banging parts -- which, combined with the beautiful soaring vocals, is what made Lacuna Coil stand out from the other female-fronted bands, in my opinion. Also, the male singer has a horrible voice, and Cristina's is so fantastic, that I don't know why they've written so many clean vocal parts for him. I thought the contrast between them was best when he was doing death vocals. I agree that Comalies has great melodies and harmonies and is catchy as usual, but it's my least favorite of theirs.

Well, I don't consider Reverie and Memories better than Comalies (I think Comalies comes somewhere in between the two, Memories being the "worst" of them), but other than that I totally agree with Lina (damn, Andrea should stick to the brutal vocals!). AND I think their first EP is their best work, while Hyperfast is my favourite LC song.
There was not a single song from their EPs on the concert though, I wonder why...

PS: There's a "Sentenced/Lacuna Coil gig" thread started by me if you are interested (should be somewhere on the next page :p)

I do. It's got a poster with Cristina, a Lacuna Coil pin, one bonus track back from the Unleashed Memories era (Lost Lullaby) and a "the making of Comalies" video, featuring Cristina wearing an Opeth t-shirt :)
Plus it's a digipack.. although I still don't know if that's a good thing..

i agree with TheMindzI about Hyperfast being one of their best songs, but i'd also like to add soul into hades to that, cheesy at first listen, cheesier at second...third...and fifth listen, but god damn its not short of brilliant there after. cant say they've done a song i dont like, even the instrumentals are great.

as for the new album, as with all new albums didnt click the first few times, but after awhile it started to grow on me, but still with the ''doesn't have the same feel as the others'' feeling. anyway listening to the new songs live the other day just blasted the album through the roof, its up there now with the rest, i dont know how i lived without it. unleashed memories is still my favourite just for the fact the last 4 songs (not to mention the first 6) are part of the best ending to album ever. distant sun just being a classic. (funny how the 8th track on the new album is just like it :D)

np:the gathering - broken glass

Soul Into Hades comes second for me as well ;) You've got a great taste you know :p Allow me then:

This Is My Dream
Veins Of Glass
My Wings
Senzafine
Purify
Cold Heritage (I don't know why I like this song that much actually..)
Distant Sun

(I've not included Comalies)

Lacuna Coil was one of the first bands I got into way back in the day as I was begining to get into metal. I have all their albums except the first one, but I love them all. Sure it doesn't have a lot of solos etc, but when it's as well composed as LC's songs are, it can invoke a pretty emotional response. I sometimes get chills in certain songs at certain parts. The same can be said for Tristania. They even have a professional composer (or had one) who created amazing pieces of work. For overall total composition, I don't think it gets any better for the diversity of instruments and mood than Tristania.