Lamented Souls - The Origins of Mastery

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Something Dark Chapter reminded me of in the Purchases thread...

lametcover.jpg

http://www.vendlus.com/LamentedSouls-EssenceOfWounds.mp3

This is Simen Hestnaes ("ICS Vortex") singing DOOOM !!!

meh, I already bought and the dude at Vendlus (or whatever) has already emailed me. I'm weak, I know.

Put simply, if Simen wasn't doing vox, I wouldn't get it.

I'm just hoping e does some crazy theatrics ala The Chaos Path.

and to answer my own question in the other thread, hell yes i'm getting this (once i have money to do so in about a year :yell: ) I've been waiting for his Lamented Souls album for years ever since i first heard about it. Didn't realize back then that this was supposed to be a Doom project though. Should make for interesting listening.

Dark Chapter said:
I've been waiting for his Lamented Souls album for years ever since i first heard about it. Didn't realize back then that this was supposed to be a Doom project though. Should make for interesting listening.
I knew nothing about it! I don't think many people did because we recently talked about Simen doing more side projects and nobody mentioned Lamented Souls. I'm really interested in hearing it. I'm sure Dreamlord will get it before anyone else here since he's ordered it already - be interesting to see what he thinks...

yea i heard about Lamented Souls a while ago and there was a song called "Var" on some soundtrack in 2001 i think it was. i'm curious to see what the whole thing sounds like. hopefully Dreamlord will give us a small review of the album.

I haven't listened yet, but the cover is beautiful (as you can see above). No lyrics, which really sucks, as I'd like to know what Simen is singing.

It appears this is more of a compilation of LS material. Tracks 1-7 were recorded in 1997. 8-11 in 1995. 12-13 in 1996 and track 14 in 1993. And each time was at a different studio.

Man, what the fuck is Simen doing playing bass in an overrated bubble gum black metal band? In LS he plays bass, guitars, e-bow, flute, drums, he sings, and he does some "fx".

Dreamlord said:
Man, what the fuck is Simen doing playing bass in an overrated bubble gum black metal band? In LS he plays bass, guitars, e-bow, flute, drums, he sings, and he does some "fx".
And you haven't heard it yet? Put the CD in your stereo and hit play, you dull bastard!

not bad at all. Simen's vocals are great as expected. No crazy The Chaos Path moments so far. You know, he almost reminds me of Maynard from Tool at times. Simen finally gets a little more aggresive come track #5.

The music is more stoner-ish than I expected. Hell, this is basically Sab-stoner doom in the vein of Cathedral, Grand Magus, etc.

It must also be said that since this is more or less a compilation, with some songs recorded at different times, some songs are on the album twice in different versions. There are two versions of "Var", "Eternal Existence", "Sprukken Maske", and "Hybris". But the album is worth it simply for "Eternal Existence".

OK, I've listened to the album twice now. My thoughts:

1) Simen is one of metal's best "clean" voices, if not the best. His vocals on this album are phenomenal. He very rarely goes off into his wild chaotic tangents, but the music does not call for them. This is doom, after all.

2) The music sounds a bit dated, but that might be because the music was recorded over 4 years, from 1993-1997. This is nothing really new. If you've heard Sabbath and Candlemass, you've heard Lamented Souls.

3) The music is everywhere. One song may be pure stoner rock, the next will be stoner doom, and the next might be traditional doom. The album lacks cohesiveness.

4) Out of 14 tracks, there are really only 10 different ones, as some songs are on twice because they were recorded at different times.

I do like the album, but I know the band can do better with fresh material, and not songs that, at the earliest, are 7 years old. However, I do think the album is worth the $12 if only to hear Simen doing trad doom songs.

Just to add my one cent...

Amen to everything Dreamlord said. :D

And if I was to throw in another penny here, this is a great CD if you're into the vocals belonging to a certain ICS Vortex and if you want more than just his Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus, and Borknagar offerings. If that's a big enough selling point to you, then look into it, otherwise it's not essential - especially if you'd be getting this before La Masquerade Infernale or Quintessence...which wouldn't be anyone round these parts anyway?

I had to dig up this thread to say that this cd rules. Simen's vocals are great and the album itself really surpassed my expectations. I own almost no Doom so I guess this is a signal for me to get into this sub-genre.

Hybris= :kickass: