Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Lamented Souls-The Origins of Misery
Duplicate Records-2004
By Josh Phillips

lament.gif

I remember my initial excitement over this album. What was not to love? The Origins of Misery is an album by doom band Lamented Souls who just happen to showcase one Simen Hestnaes (ex-Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir) on vocals and many other instruments including the guitar, bass, flute, e-bow and even the drums on one song. So, like many others, I really looked forward to this release. Simen Hestnaes singing doom, this could be great right? But through all the hype, would it live up to the high expectations?

At first, it did. Simen’s soaring voice shone through on songs such as opener “Essence of Wounds” where he carries a note for about 15 seconds and also in “Hybris”, “Suffer Salvation” and “Nemesis.” These songs hooked me and upon first listen I was really enjoying the slow, building riffs, well-timed drum beats and incredible vocals. Around the mid-point of the year, this album was even in my Top 5, but as can sometimes be true of albums you thoroughly enjoy upon first listen, it started to fade.

In a sense, this is really more of a compilation of work than an actual album. Four of the songs are repeated on the album in different versions, recorded at different times. The songs were also recorded between 1993-97, so there isn’t any recent material on the album. It is because of these things the album wears quickly and gets repetitive after the initial excitement wears.

As for the musicianship, Simen’s vocals sound good, but I truly don’t think the music fits his style the way it did with Borknagar and to a greater extent, in his sparse shining moments with Dimmu Borgir. Those epic passages that provide such a great contrast to the rest of Dimmu Borgir’s music and make Simen’s voice sound more unique and properly used are absent on this record. There is no contrast, no spitting voice to offset Simen’s lofty clean vocals and they are much less effective because of it. The rest of the instruments are played by random band members throughout the record, with Olav Knutsen and OJ Noir switching duties and Einar Sjursø playing drums on a handful of the songs. The guitar playing is interesting, showcasing the slow, crunchy riffs inherent to doom metal. The riffs are, of course, the backbone of the songs and one of the highlights of the album. The bass is interesting, backing the guitar, but with sparse moments where it leaves to explore on its own. The drums are powerful and hit their peak in the slower songs such as “Var” where the timing is great and has to be to not disturb the rhythm of the song.

Overall, a little dated and repetitive and there really needs to be more changes in the music or the vocals themselves to let Simen shine. As it stands, only two songs, “Hybris” and “Suffer Salvation” have vocal performances that I think utilize Simen adequately. The lyrics were not provided either, though I’m sure they would have been of interest when judging from the quote, “Seeking death, but you were leaving withered roses far behind”, that can be found near the album cover. I have a lot of hope for this band though, because this is older material and I think if they went into the studio and recorded an album today, it could really be great. The Origins of Misery shows a heap of potential and energy, now it is time for Lamented Souls to harness that and churn out some new material that builds off of these earlier songs.

7/10

Official Duplicate Records Website