7.Sprukken Maske
8.Var
9.Eternal Existence
10.Nemesis
11.Hybris
12.Sprukken Maske
13.Eternal Existence
14.Soulstorm

The Origins of Misery is a compilation of songs recorded throughout the last decade by LAMENTED SOULS, a 70’s inspired doom band featuring Simen Hestnæs (aka ICS Vortex from DIMMU BORGIR) on vocals. (Actually, Hestnæs it seems is rather the versatile musician, also playing guitar, bass, e-bow, flute, and drums across several of the tracks.) Otherwise, there is an entire band in support, interchanging among instruments whenever they feel like it.

Musically, this is really very good with lots of SABBATH-like groove, mixing those blues-based metal riffs in with samplings of stoner rock. The essence of the 70’s is effectively apparent with jam sections splattered throughout the album. If you like this sort of thing, then great, otherwise don’t look for anything overtly innovative or revolutionary. Granted, the occasional use of flute or space keyboards add a nice touch, but again, it’s not like you’re going to choose this over JETHRO TULL or HAWKWIND if that’s indeed what you’re after.

For most, the attraction of having an album like this is to perhaps witness Hestnæs singing cleanly throughout, whereas previously, fans would have lived with snippets of his vocal talent on occasional DIMMU BORGIR tracks (e.g. “Hybrid Stigmata – The Apostasy”), and two BORKNAGAR offerings. Interestingly enough, this is perhaps where the album tends to fail in my opinion. Not to belittle his vocal abilities, but The Origins of Misery is the perfect example of having “too much of a good thing”. Quite honestly, Hestnæs has such a unique voice that it begins to over saturate the record, and truth be known, I’m not sure if his style is all that well suited to this flavoring of retro-doom. When assessing his previous efforts with BORKNAGAR and DIMMU BORGIR, you tend to realize that their song structures change intelligently enough to take into account the differing style of vocals, where Hestnæs would sing cleanly over booming classical-type orchestrations and then aggressively over the extreme riffs. Obviously, that’s not the case with LAMENTED SOULS with the style of music they play.

A good way to remedy this is to stop the album at track 7, after which some of the tracks begin to repeat and all the songs begin to blur. In other words, this might have been better released as an EP, but I recognize that die-hard followers would want the surplus material, so kudos to the label for gathering all this and packaging it together in one release. Good effort, and nice artwork to boot (although some lyrics would have been nice).

7/10

This album has kind of faded a bit with time. When it first came out, I couldn't stop listening, but it's worn off to the point where I only play a certain few songs, namely "Hybris" which could be one of the best songs of the year for me.

Others include Suffer Salvation, Demon Baby, Traces of You and Nemesis. The slower songs like Var fail to gain my attention most of the time anymore, but Hybris alone makes this album worth it. I do think I like Simen's voice better with the music of Dimmu Borgir, but he was hardly used often enough on the last album. PEM with its 4 songs featuring Simen was adequate.

I in a way agree with JK in the "too much of a good thing" department because about 5 or so songs would've been perfect for me, but others fail to engage my interest such as "Sprukken Maske" and the repetitons of songs seems fairly pointless.

Overall, I still think it is an excellent album for the handful of incredible songs on it, but while I once had it in my Top 5, it's fallen back possibly out of my top 10 albums of the year by now and if not, then certainly by years end. For the most part I agree with the review but I might add a .5 just for shits and grins. :D

I can hardly listen to the whole thing. My favorite song is Eternal Existence. Once the songs start repeating themselves, I get bored.

Simen's best performance is still "The Chaos Path".

J. said:
Simen's best performance is still "The Chaos Path".

Outside of this song and a few others on La Masquerade Infernale, I have a hard time liking Arcturus. I can see myself liking LMI, but I'm not sure about The Sham Mirrors, it bores me most of the time and I don't have the patience to sit there and listen to the whole thing without putting on another album.

There I read it. :p

I don't see myself buying a stoner album featuring a vocalist I don't care for when there is plenty of great stoner music that I still don't have. Honestly vocals are a close second when it comes to quality stoner for me (first priority are the riffs DUH), which explains why I go gaga over Kyuss: massive riffs and a GREAT vocalist.

Opeth17 said:
Outside of this song and a few others on La Masquerade Infernale, I have a hard time liking Arcturus. I can see myself liking LMI, but I'm not sure about The Sham Mirrors, it bores me most of the time and I don't have the patience to sit there and listen to the whole thing without putting on another album.
That's because The Sham Mirrors is simply a lackluster effort by a band capable of much more.

I have a hard time lstening to LMI and AHS. If I want to hear Garm, the first two Borknagar albums and Ulver's output suit my needs much better.

I think Garm's voice just bores me in general, at least it does with Arcturus. I have all of Borknagar's albums (including Epic come the morning) except the ones with Garm, but I have a feeling he'll at least be remotely better with them than Arcturus.

You're mssing out on some good music. The first two are really good, but take a lot more time to appreciate than the others.

Opeth17 said:
I think Garm's voice just bores me in general
*goes gay and dies*

Garm's voice is tough to beat. Honestly it's the only worthwhile portion of Arcturus, and it completes the brilliant overall package of Ulver just perfectly.

Garm's vocals in Ulver are really, really good, but I can see the "boring" aspect from his work in Acturus.

I intend to pick them up at some point. The weird thing about Borknagar is that while I enjoy every album of theirs I purchase, I never rush out to buy more like I will with some bands. It's usually just get one, enjoy it and then stumble upon another one later on and buy it.

Also, "The Archaic Course" I thought was a good performance for Simen. There are some vocal moments on there that I don't think would be as good with any other vocalist.