Lance King Explains Pyramaze Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
From Bravewords.com. Looks like Lance is forever a stand up guy!

AVIAN Singer Lance King Explains Why He Parted Ways With PYRAMAZE
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 11:55:19 EST

Brian Rademacher from Rockeyez.com spoke to AVIAN singer Lance King (ex-PYRAMAZE/ex-BALANCE OF POWER) recently about a number of topics for a forthcoming feature. Here is an excerpt from the chat:

Rockeyez.com: Pyramaze was such a good band why did you leave?
King: "When I was first asked to listen to the demo’s of this band by their manager, I liked the tracks, I heard a lot of promise in this new band. Michael (Kammeyer - guitar) was extremely happy to work with a known vocalist. I was at this time basically a hired gun. As the album came together I became more excited about the band and it’s possibilities and committed to promoting the band and did so through Nightmare Records. Being able to promote the band through Nightmare gave me the resources and time to promote the album. However wearing two hats like this doesn’t always bring unity in a band. Unfortunately this usually will create a problem in that, other band members will see you as making money when they aren’t, regardless of how much effort and money your putting into helping their career.

As time went on, the band wanted to make me a permanent member, with that comes a re-negotiation, part of that negotiation was that they expected me to pay a portion of money for our monthly Management fee. I felt this fee was ridiculous for a couple reasons, mainly because every other agreement for management I’d ever seen or been offered was either a flat fee or a set percentage, this deal was both. I didn’t want to pay for something that I had more resources for and was already doing for the band for free. This example and that of just the difference in experience on many levels, probably got in the way of me being an equal member in this band.
The bands manager had originally introduced us, in the end ironically, he may have been the one that put the nail in the coffin, likely because he didn’t appreciate my not wanting the band to continue using his services. However from the beginning this was always Michael’s band, that was clear, and after his confidence grew with the success we were having, I wasn’t so “special” in his eyes anymore.

I will always be proud of what we did together. I was incredibly motivated to make the band work, I travelled to Europe for festivals and tours. I promoted the band continuously with my time and money. However because of the rounded amount of experiences I’ve had, and this being the first real band for most of the members of Pyramaze, we were clearly on different levels, but with me now having a more vested interest and wanting to share my ideas. That aspect brought some disagreements between Michael and I on business decisions. Music we always agreed on, but when you add in a third opinion in the mix when there are already issues (the bands manager), it can make things even more complicated, especially when the manager and the rest of the band are living on the other side of the world.

In the long run what tore me from the band was probably a combination of cultural difference, a variance in our ages in regards to our perspectives and a manager that wanted to justify his role and pay-check by interjecting his opinion when it wasn’t always needed.

But to get to the real heart of it, at a key moment, two days before our set at ProgPowerUSA in 2006, when we were meeting up for our first rehearsal for the show, there was something that came up that was destined to rip us apart. This was facilitated I believe by our manager Claus Jensen of Intromental, but trickled down to each of the other members like a virus.

What was this virus? A misguided belief that something Michael and I had chosen to do for our show was not going to work.

This part of the show was about my son playing a violin intro from our newest album for our show at ProgPowerUSA, as the character of “the Bone Carver. Playing the intro from The Legend Of The Bone Carver album because by coincidence, Tomy my son (at eleven years old), totally looked like the bone carver character on our album art work. And since he’d done the voice of the Bone Carver on the album we wanted to include him into the show somehow. We’d been talking about ways to expound on the story line of the album and make our set something special and stick out from the rest of the sets at ProgPowerUSA. I discussed with Michael, about my idea to have Tomy, as The Bone Carver open the show on the violin playing the main theme that opens the album. Michael loved the idea and we emailed back and forth developing how we wanted it to flow.

This all happened about 40 days before the show, the next month I spent a lot of time and money on an electric violin, a custom made outfit for Tomy, and flights for my family to come to Atlanta. Also the band needed a new stage banner, so I designed one and had it made. My label Nightmare was also paying for a seven camera DVD shoot of our set there. So now two days before the PPUSA show in Atlanta ( the first day we are to rehearse together) before we even strike a note, the band wants to pull my son’s violin intro….. saying their reason for this was simply, 'they thought the crowd would laugh at the band and that this would be reflected poorly later on in the prog power forums.' No other explanation or rationalization was given to me, I tried to reassure the guys that I knew this audience, I’d played this fest and frequented it when I wasn’t an artist playing. I was an American and I knew these people and knew they would not respond the way my foreign friends were thinking…but the band was not budging on it.

I was devastated! I felt extremely let down. After I made it through rehearsal, I spent the next day trying to wrap myself around how I was going to tell my son he couldn’t play, we went out to explore “Underground Atlanta” and my son jumps up on one of the empty street stages, and say’s Hey Dad, check it out, and starts pretending to play the intro on his air violin humming our opening theme. I felt nauseous.

After a lot of thought, I came to the conclusion that this was a line that shouldn’t have been crossed. What I said to the band after an extremely sleepless night was '…If you pull this intro for this reason, I don’t think I can be emotionally into this band anymore, and if I’m not emotionally into this band, I likely won’t be financially into it either.' Reluctantly the band agreed to this, I knew my time was probably limited by saying this, but they had crossed a line that should not have been crossed by friends or professionals.

We went out and played a great set, and had an incredible response from the audience, everything should have been great right? Wrong…you have to realize I wasn’t the only one upset. My wife who was still sort of in shock with a band that she had really liked until they messed with her son. She felt it was time to deflate their stage high and let them have a little taste of how nasty the last couple days had been for us. That was enough to get me fired, she scared the shit out of those Viking Danes.

Two months later, I received an email from Michael ejecting me from the band, here is probably the reason it took so long…. in this email he clearly asked me to keep the news of my being fired quiet, they didn’t want anyone to know about this until “After” the release of the PPUSA DVD that the band still expected me to spend my money on developing and releasing after just being fired. That was a hard pill to swallow, how was I supposed to move on professionally or artistically when daily I would have to field questions about the band in both personal and business communications, having to pretend I was still in the band. I told Michael I’d get back to him on his letter shortly.

I pondered the situation and decided it was time to move on, I drafted a Press release and sent it out letting the world know we had parted ways and I wished them well, I didn’t want to wait and write one with Michael, it was over and I didn’t think he was going to make that press release a priority.

We had a great response from the audience that final performance, it was truly the best we had EVER seen from a crowd, with Bloodstock being the closest contender. Every nuance of our last show as a band at PPUSA is on raw DVD footage that I have and own the masters of.

I’m proud of the music we made together, I’m proud of our performances we did, I’m proud of the fact that I promoted this band to the level that a singer like Matt Barlow (ICED EARTH) would want to come out of metal retirement for!"

There are two sides to every story. I'd like to read the band's comments on this although I don't put Lance's word to doubt here. Family is gold and I'd probably haev felt as bad as he did.

Claus' story should also be read so you could make a clearer judgement on the matter. Even so, thi sis not our business in the end.

The only thing that really touches me is that I think Bone Carver is amazing and I still play it regularly. I just loved Lance's voice with Pyramaze and while Barlow has lots of fans, I'm not one.

Cheers!

Steve

Looks like Lance is forever a stand up guy!

Why does this make Lance a stand-up guy? I mean, i know he's beloved by this forum as well as a big part of it, and that's cool, but airing out your dirty laundry in public isn't my idea of a "stand up" guy. It's a bullshit drama bomb. I understand that it sucks, everything surrounding the last show sucked, but that was the most mellowdramatic crap i've read in a long time.

Everyone has disappointments, and to be honest, someone who's into the scene so much (with a label, many bands, etc) should know it's always a bad idea to mix business and pleasure... Why would you sign a band that you are a part of, especially as a hired gun? That is just asking for trouble. Why would you involve your personal and family life into something that is a business deal? Again, that's almost assuredly a set-up for disappointment, especially when the decision is not in your hands entirely. It seems like an inappropriate time and place to involve such personal feelings.

I can appreciate what Lance is saying: he got burned. He feels like people have wronged his family and his efforts, but at the same time i think that, judging by what he said, he brought a lot of it on himself by chosing to involve them. He should understand better than anyone that sometimes you have to make a business decision that ignores all personal relationships, and it sounds like that's what the band was doing.

Edit: i don't want anyone to mistake what i'm saying... i think family is incredibly important, BUT it seems like this was the inappropriate place to involve the family.

If it all went down like that (and there are always 2 sides to a story), I don't think I could've been on stage at PP with them. You do not screw around with someone's family like that. I would've ripped them apart. But that's how I would've reacted to the presented situation. I'll take this with a grain of salt, knowing the other side hasn't been presented to me, thanks. (not that I could care less about Pyramaze anyway.)

I think you got it wrong. Lance is a professionnal and he wouldn't let the audience and Glenn down. Could you imagine cancelling his appearance 2 days before the show??

Steve

np: Wolverine - Cold light of monday (that damn post got me digging this disc out and it's definitely aweseom!!!)

Harvester said:
"While I will leave this post & the link, I would ask that those that wish to discuss the interview please do so at the Nightmare Metal Festival Forum or the Pyramaze Forum. I ask this out of courtesy to all parties involved. I have a professional relationship with all parties involved and I do not want any negative connotations here.

Glenn"

Just in case people didn't bother checking the link.

Seems to me like there are no real bad guys here. Just a clash between someone who had a family and those who didn't have families yet and didn't know what the big deal was. Plus an inexperienced band that didn't run things by their manager first.

All involved have always seemed like standup guys to me, but in real life good people sometimes fall out due to disagreements, misunderstandings, or inability to see things from the other's point of view.

Hmm.

I would have prefered to not read this interview. Honestly. Sometimes, things just shouldn't be dwelled upon or spoken publicly about. One of the reasons I hate hearing that bands break up or members leave, because there's always the resentment and drama that we'll never completely, perfectly understand.

Also, I find everyone involved in this story as friends of mine. I don't want to choose sides. I don't want to be biased. I know, someone is right and someone is wrong, but I don't want to know. I'd rather just stay neutral, and say, "Everybody move on, and be kickass musicians regardless of where your careers go.

And for the record, if Tomy did come out on stage to play the violin part.....

...he better not be wearing a Limp Bizkit shirt! That's all I's sayin' here, yo! :D

For the record - when this interview came out a month ago, I immediately called up Lance to hear what it was all about. He explained his side of the story, I told him what was wrong with it, and he apologised to me for 99% of what he said in that interview.

End of story, and Lance and I are back to usual business.

Claus

Status
Not open for further replies.