Lars says some stupid stuff...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich has told the Rocky Mountain News that he understands why understand why some fans were initially thrown by the "thrashing speed-metal" nature of the band's latest album, "St. Anger".

"It's so beating. I can understand now how challenging the record was," he said. "Compared to a song like 'Wherever I May Roam', it sounds like World War III. It makes the 'Black Album' sound like BON JOVI or something.

"I can understand that some of the people into the more straightforward things we've done can be scared [listening to 'St. Anger']. It's OK to be scared and overwhelmed and challenged. I'm proud that we didn't (wimp) out. A couple of times we kinda set out to make a record that was raw and a little more aggressive and we kinda (wimped) out. We started cleaning things up, we started putting James' (Hetfield's) vocals in tune. We left 'St. Anger' as raw as it was."

And longtime fans knew it wasn't out of character for the band. "…And Justice For All' is borderline unlistenable to my ears," Ulrich said of the band's classic 1988 release. Then again, "when we put 'Fade to Black' on our second record ['Ride the Lightning'], a lot of the hardcore fans were freaking out - 'Oh my God, an acoustic guitar, they've lost it!' That was what, 21 years ago or something? For a band that lost it 21 years ago, I think we're doing OK."
Ive highlighted some of the best parts.

Thrashing speed metal? There is certainly no better way to show just how completely out of touch you are to a genre you defined, than saying St. Anger is thrashing speed metal.

Even comparing St. Anger to the black album is insulting beyond words, the black album is one of the best metal albums ever, St. Anger is a steaming turd! Seriously, who in their right mind would think anything on St. Anger was even remotely as good as a song on the black album?

Anybody?

*Crickets*

*Someone coughs*

I liked that last bit the best, they were going to put James' vocals in tune, but decided not to. Because people wouldnt want to hear that would they?

:dopey:

i thank the gods that I've never heard the rest of that album... for a big name band with megabucks to spend it would have to be worst production EVER. Hell I've recorded demos on a 4track that sound better.

oh the songs (the ones i heard at least) were shit too. Calling it "challenging" is an interesting choice of words. Something like Dream Theater or Planet X is "challenging" to listen to because of all the changes and crazy over the top musicianship. St Anger is challenging just in the sense that is so BAD that it's a real challenge to endure more than 30 seconds of it.

Blitzkrieg said:
I understand what he was trying to say, but he came across as a real dipshit saying it.

The Unnamed Feeling is better than alot of stuff from the black album...

I cant even talk to you when you go crazy like this Blitzy :dopey:

TinMan666 said:
Calling it "challenging" is an interesting choice of words. Something like Dream Theater or Planet X is "challenging" to listen to because of all the changes and crazy over the top musicianship.
Yep, theres nothing challenging on the album musically at all, no solos, all dropped tuning bog standard numetal riffs, the vocals are out of key and the lyrics are pretty silly overall.

I cant believe even Lars could be that delusional that he thinks so highly of it.

Blitzkrieg said:
I think the challenge with St Anger is to give it a chance and to take it for what it is. For what it is, it has some great material in there.

No the challenge is to actually listen to more than 1 song before getting the shits and snapping the cd.

I can't see how The Unnamed Feeling can even come close to anything on the Black album. That entire album is brilliance (except Nothing Else Matters could be half the length and not repeat all the lyrics, don't like that song).

Koich said:
No the challenge is to actually listen to more than 1 song before getting the shits and snapping the cd.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Agreed.

I don't see any point in having to try hard to like an album if ya don't like it. If I hear an album and I think it sucks, I'm not gonna waste my time playing it over and over again until I do like it when I could be listening to albums that I actually do like.

At the Perth BDO (last leg of BDO tour) Lars claimed that it was the best tour he'd ever been on... I don't know how this could possibly be true. Although maybe he loved he hanging out with his buddies in The Vines or whatever :ill:

Trixxi Trash said:
I can't see how The Unnamed Feeling can even come close to anything on the Black album.
Easily, The Unnamed Feeling is also a brilliant song.
Trixxi Trash said:
That entire album is brilliance (except Nothing Else Matters could be half the length and not repeat all the lyrics, don't like that song).
It is a good album, but I wouldn't go that far.

None of the other albums have Wherever I May Roam, My Friend Of Misery, Enter Sandman, The God That Failed, Don't Tread On Me, Of Wolf & Man and the best Metallica song ever The Unforgiven. So the Black album must be better. :)