Last night's Opeth Concert NYC 7-17-03

CracklingCarcass

New Metal Member
Jan 29, 2002
New York, NY
Visit site
All I have to say is that the show KILLED!!!! They are complete muscial geniuses! I actually was able to meet them after the show and they were really nice about taking pictures and signing autographs....Met Steve Wilson as well and 2 of the guys Type O Negative.....

Porcupine Tree blew me away as well....Great, great musicians!!

Well They did about all the songs from Damnation and my favorite one from their was "Closure". It is amazing to hear them live they are flawless! They also did Benighted, To bid you Farewell, Face of Melinda and a Deep Purple cover which at the moment I cannot think of the name...but the setlist is on the boards here somewhere.......

Last night's show was awesome...the extended instrumental section on Closure was awesome, and all of the Damnation songs were performed brilliantly. Seeing the band join in on Benighted after Mikael performed the first half alone was a great moment...

And Porcupine Tree, as expected, were awesome.

Amazing.. truly amazing.. as soon as i think i have this thing Opeth figured out they show up and just mesmerise me again. They are truly one of a kind...

Great show,indeed. Face of Melinda was a nice choice as finale.

I'm pretty sure that they did not play Ending Credits from Damnation although I had hoped to hear that as well. I assume it was dropped due to time constraints . Mikael was funny. To paraphrase: "The curfew is 12:30 and we will be fined $1,000 per minute and you don't want me to have to give up my record collection."

2003: Year of Opeth!

er party? where was this at? anywho ill be rude and say, just like last time at NYC, the fans up front were just dorks. i mean the dudes next to me were like thinkin there goin to bust out songs like demon of the fall and shit, i mean hello, its damnation tour, geez, he was sleeping on their monitor, god..plus all the front except me and my friend were chanting opeth when porcupine tree were still goin on, them bastards. WHoever shotted Nickelback during "benighted" just die lol

Okay enough about the negative, but anywho, yes it was worth it gettint there at 4 o clock to be right infront of Peter, thanx for playin a snip bit of the Apostle in Triumpth intro haha and infront of john of porcupine tree, thanx for the guitar pix both guys and giving my friend a set list. Porcupien tree was just flawless and kick ass, they need to tour more often over here, jsut a kick ass live band. i saw mikael on side of stage, i waved and he waved back lol

opeth, what can u say, i think i now enjoy damnation a whole lot more now, the album is just so much better to hear live, the keyboardest did everything right and just perfect, even during benighted, to bid u farewell, and face of belinda. To bid u farewell i think i was in another world when they played that, i think i squirted a tear lol we waited a half hour after the show but no one came out so we went back home, but we did meet john and kenny of type o negative! woohoo, i guess they were impressed when they played wit them in europe. but as soon we finally got home off the nj parkway we noticed i had gotten a ticket from the NYC parking comission!!!!!!! ARGH $85 fuckin dollars, fuckin shit, opeth u wanna pay me back? lol

223040newopeth001.jpg

NO i dont have a lazy eye, sun in my eyes
223040newopeth002.jpg
You cant get more metal then that tattoo.
223040newopeth003.jpg

223040newopeth004.jpg

nice shirt!! a clockwork orange is my favorite movie of all time.
im going to see opeth in philly this sunday, the 20th, where do you go to get the pictures with them? or just wait near the tour bus?

Hey man I saw you...u were up to the left of me. In front of John Wesely. I was the tall long hair dude screaming every Porcupine Tree song. I had my gf in front of me too. I definately saw you to the left of me, ahha cool shit. Dont even get me started on those fuckos in the front...I was gonna get that kid who practiclly fucking his gf in front me and toss his ass to the back, along with the fucktard sleeping on the monitor with his asian gf. The crowd was horribly rude last nite, and at least 80% of teh people there were dickhead retards who had no damn clue who PT were and acted incredibly disrespectful towards. I was just apalled and aggravated by some of the sheer idiots at that show...Ugh...Oh well.

Thorns of Sorrow said:
The crowd was horribly rude last nite, and at least 80% of teh people there were dickhead retards who had no damn clue who PT were and acted incredibly disrespectful towards. I was just apalled and aggravated by some of the sheer idiots at that show...Ugh...Oh well.

Hmmmm. That's interesting. Must have been a bad lot upfront. I was near the mixing board for PT and there were a fair # of big-time PT fans moving and singing near me. No idiots near me.

And for Opeth, I moved upfront to stage left about 20-30 ft away and there weren't too many idiots there either...Just a couple of creaming Damnation fans and other Opeth fans who respected the Damnation material (I LOVED the Damnation songs,btw) and cheered mightility after each song.

Oh well, depends on location, I guess.

Amazing show last night. That was my third time seeing Opeth, and I think last night was their best performance of the three. I was all the way to the right of the stage in front of Mendez. I really wasn't looking forward to Porcupine Tree, I'm also not familiar with them or much of their material, but as soon as they played their first song I was blown away, they really surprised me, they put on an excellent performance. Anyone notice Steven Wilson was barefoot? Anyway when Opeth came on stage I was lucky enough to find a spot right on the stage. Ok, as people have already mentioned, I don't think a lot of people were expecting an entirely softer set as many people were screaming for them to play heavier songs.

An overall excellent night, but I agree that many fans were very disrespectful especially the dude that called Mikael Chad Kroeger (sp?) from Nickelback, what a fucking idiot.

the show definitely owned. the PT set was killer. i loved how they picked The Creator Has a Mastertape for the opener. it was funny when Lopez started to play the beat to the ending of Deliverance. everybody got so excited.

i loved the live version of The Face of Melinda

and i bought the PT live cd. only 1500 copies :D

There some assholes in the back by me too. Growling "get off the stage" during PT and then talking over all the quiet Opeth songs. I still think Opeth are at their best when they're transitioning between heavy and mellow without losing any intensity. Damnation needs a few more Heavy sections to break things up.

Show was great. Wasn't down front, so can't comment about the problem children, but overall the crowd was much more into it than at the Birch Hill for their heavy show 2 months ago. Best PT set I've seen to date.

Anyway, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST THE SETLIST? Thanks...

brooklynmayhem said:
Did anyone notice how stoned they were? Or how stoned I was?

I was PISSED when they were saying there was no smoking in there. I kinda glanced around throughout PT's set and people had a few cigs going and maybe one joint...
Right when Windowpane started, the guy right next to me broke out a little joint, so I just remember thinking to myself "fuck it" and broke out one of mine...
Opeth... they were ripped. I know at least most of them indulge just from hearing bits and pieces from the past. I definitely remember a big cloud of smoke from center front washing up over Mike, at which point he closed his eyes and lolled his head back a little bit... It was great, a couple songs after me and the guy next to me had finished (and numerous others in there beginning), Mikael was like "I hope there aren't any cops at this show tonight... <pinches his nose, pause 3 seconds> Thank you." =)

But yeah, you were right... 99% perfection at that show. The vast majority of the problems were with the crowd and venue, not either of the bands, who both played phenomenally. Never thought I would enjoy a lighter Opeth set like that as much as I did...

Thorns of Sorrow said:
The crowd was horribly rude last nite, and at least 80% of teh people there were dickhead retards who had no damn clue who PT were and acted incredibly disrespectful towards. I was just apalled and aggravated by some of the sheer idiots at that show...Ugh...Oh well.

During the later tracks of Damnation, I wanted to fucking strangle half the crowd in there. I was in my own little world trying to just mellow out to those slower tracks, but I couldn't concentrate on it because like a third of the venue was talking! Mikael was by himself on stage for a good run and people were just chit chatting the whole fucking time. It was SOOO rude, especially considering it was Opeth, who, it seems, a large majority of the people were there to see. I wanted to shout at everyone to shut up but I knew it would just make things worse... it was terribly disrespectful, just as you said. My anger soon passed as Mike started up 'Benighted' though.. mmmmmm...