Latency issues

Noisense

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2009
Hi!

I've been hanging around reading these forums for a couple of months, learnt a lot! Now I'm going to start recording a bit, using my friends Edirol UA-25 into Reaper, until I get my own interface.

But I'm having a lot of trouble with latency both while tracking and playing back. When I'm only monitoring my guitar in Reaper there is almost no latency, but as soon as I hit the record button it starts lagging, badly. I find it quite strange that when I only playback the click, I get no latency, but when I've recorded a guitar (going through TSS, 8505 and KeFIR) everything lags.

Can someone post some ridiculously simple troubleshooting rules? It's probably something I'm overlooking that I haven't learnt yet, due to lack of experience.

Also, I'm using ASIO4All.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, do you have a way of splitting your signal so you can monitor via an amp for your performance so you can record dry with DI, so you can apply the amp sim/TSS and the impulses later? They tend to add latency (the amp sims, impulse hosts), so it's best to find a way to monitor while recording dry especially when you've only got a USB interface.
Easier option is to just get a firewire interface really.

Thanks alot. :)

I have got a crappy Behringer DD100 which has two outputs, would it be possible to use that bypassed? do you know if there is any difference between the two outs? they only say "Out A" and "Out B" on the pedal.

And I'm going to get a FireWire interface when I get mine. :)

The Edirol is supposed to be a really good interface capable of low latencies (I remember Gavin saying he could get under 3 ms); why not try using its drivers, rather than ASIO4ALL?

Thanks alot. :)

I have got a crappy Behringer DD100 which has two outputs, would it be possible to use that bypassed? do you know if there is any difference between the two outs? they only say "Out A" and "Out B" on the pedal.

And I'm going to get a FireWire interface when I get mine. :)

Just try it. I record DIs with the headphone out of a Boss ME-10 bypassed. It adds noise, but the DIs are useable.

It didn't work, still got the same problem.

I still think there are settings messing it all up, can someone tell me a few basic things to do? Using Vista 32-bit.

Tried not using ASIO4All, it got worse, but I might have done something wrong...

Are you sure you've got the proper drivers installed and some Windows crappy drivers that Vista may have installed?: http://www.roland.com/products/en/Windows_Vista.html

Did you miss a "not" somewhere in there? Got kind of confused.

Yes, I have got the drivers installed, but I just re-installed them, still a bit of latency left, and I've still got a strange "cracking" sound coming from my headphones. :S

Like said earlier, it's the plugins.

All is fine untill you hit the play or record button.
Try to disable as much as possible plugins. It's probably Kefir thats causing the latency.
Some plugins work with Delay Compensation (DC), wich means they make your other tracks play later because are later themselves.

Let us know how it went.

Did you miss a "not" somewhere in there? Got kind of confused.

Yes, I have got the drivers installed, but I just re-installed them, still a bit of latency left, and I've still got a strange "cracking" sound coming from my headphones. :S
Yeah, sorry, I've just edited my post.

Have you tried the same plugins on another DAW, just to rule out if it's some software problem?

Like said earlier, it's the plugins.

All is fine untill you hit the play or record button.
Try to disable as much as possible plugins. It's probably Kefir thats causing the latency.
Some plugins work with Delay Compensation (DC), wich means they make your other tracks play later because are later themselves.

Let us know how it went.

I have tried without any plug-ins at all, with only the recording guitar track and a track with a click and without the click track using the built in metronome.

Yeah, sorry, I've just edited my post.

Have you tried the same plugins on another DAW, just to rule out if it's some software problem?

Will try using Sonar LE now.

Tried it, same problem, there's probably something very simple I'm overlooking...

Using a FW interface, I get latency when recording DIs and monitoring with 8505. So, I just split the signal to an amp and monitor with that.

Fuck, that is not what I wanted to hear now that I have already ordered the Profire 2626 which I'm hoping to use exactly for this... monitoring guitars with very low latency while tracking them, because I have no guitar gear myself to monitor through.

You better have a shitty FW interface, or I'm in deep shit!

Fuck, that is not what I wanted to hear now that I have already ordered the Profire 2626 which I'm hoping to use exactly for this... monitoring guitars with very low latency while tracking them, because I have no guitar gear myself to monitor through.

You better have a shitty FW interface, or I'm in deep shit!

Erkan, for the love of god, we've been over this :D

In that case scratch that one! :D But yeah, make sure it's a port directly on your MoBo, rather than a hub, keyboard, etc.