Latency via Tracking with Amp VSTs

Sloan

Sounds like shit!
Oct 22, 2006
Atlanta, GA
www.sloanstewart.com
Any tips for dealing with latency while tracking one amp sim track and monitoring a previously tracked one? It seems they are always off just a bit from each other, which can be problematic as the player alternates from playing in time with the previous take and the click.

Maybe try to shift the DI back in time, to match the click... I had to do it this way some time ago, when I was using windows sound card, which from unknown reason brought in latency...

What happens if you freeze the existing track prior to tracking, thus reducing the strain on your CPU but I suspect it's has more to do with your interface than anything, try reducing buffers, freezing other tracks with heavy CPU plugins on them. What DAW are you using.

Helpful article on working through latency issues: http://www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com/html/dealing_with_latency.html

Perhaps this is all known to you, sorry if I'm making any assumptions. hopefully you can get it to a point where your latency is low enough that it's not disturbing.

Set 2 tracks per take - a scratch track and real DI track. In Cubase this could easily be done by setting up 2 input tracks, both using the same source - one with amp sim engaged and other just straight DI, and then proceed to create 2 tracks with these two inputs.

IIRC in Reaper you can print fx/amp sim to the scratch track directly after an useful take is recorded (intended for monitoring purposes), while you keep the un-monitored 'real' DI track muted at all times. Or am I way off?

edit: unholy number of posts reached!

I upgraded my processor a few months ago and didn't even bother messing with latency settings. I am able to lower it much more, which definitely feels tighter.

I hate freezing tracks and having to go back and delete all that bullshit blah blah blah, so i usually don't bother, but it might be the solution, or I might just track listening to the straight DI. I think it's the IR's that cause the most latency.

What are your ASIO settings? I keep the buffer size set to 2-4ms for tracking and I don't have this problem in Reaper. Any more than 10ms and you're going to start having noticable latency issues. It's easy enough to knock the buffer back up to 10 or 20ms when you're done tracking and have to mix.

What are your ASIO settings? I keep the buffer size set to 2-4ms for tracking and I don't have this problem in Reaper. Any more than 10ms and you're going to start having noticable latency issues. It's easy enough to knock the buffer back up to 10 or 20ms when you're done tracking and have to mix.

What buffer setting are you speaking of specifically, I've got my interface running at 128 buffer size.

What buffer setting are you speaking of specifically, I've got my interface running at 128 buffer size.

In my settings you don't have to set the buffer size by the number of samples. There is a button labeled ASIO Configuration. It opens up a box that allows you to set the bit depth and the buffer size in ms. I assumed this was normal. Perhaps its something specific to my audio card.

In my settings you don't have to set the buffer size by the number of samples. There is a button labeled ASIO Configuration. It opens up a box that allows you to set the bit depth and the buffer size in ms. I assumed this was normal. Perhaps its something specific to my audio card.

ah ok, yeah.

Here's a good article on Reaper & latency.
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Compensate_for_Interface_Latency

For some reason, everything has been ok in the past, but i think it's just me noticing lack of tightness better nowadays.

I have made some adjustments and will report back.