Tracking with no latency

DK92

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2012
Ive noticed in studio updates bands have posted of recording with joey that they are pretty much tracking with virtually no latency.

Is his buffer size just super low (128 samples) or is it something else

Like when he's recording drums, I'm assuming the drummer is listening to himself through drumagog which has latency...any ideas on what he's doing to compensate

Another example are vocals, joey has auto tune and some delays on his vocals which i believe have some latency, is he just using direct monitoring or low buffer sizes for the performer to hear what they are doing???

Any input would be really appreciated.

ps...maybe if someone who has tracked with him would chime in (Cory, Nick)
or even the legend himself would be much appreciated, thanks!

For me ....my computer PC is not high speed and it's old now for 5 years. My ram is only 2G. CPU is core2Duo. I've experienced these problem before and solve it out.
for now, I use 128 buffer size for recording.. and 2048 for mixing stuff.

This is something I came across on the JS Facebook group a while back. From the man himself :

"the buffer or latency setting of the interface will control how much time there is between the sound going into the interface to the time it comes out of your speakers. the lower the buffer, the quicker that delay will be. at my studio, for example... my interface runs at 64 samples buffer. to calculate the latency its buffer size (in samples) divided by recording sample rate (usually 44100)...

so 64 / 44100 = 0.0014512471655329

which is supposedly 0.001 seconds or ~1millisecond

but the audio has to go in and come out, and you will experience the latency in both trips... so my interface does 2 ms round trip
"

Hope that somewhat answers your question. (And the interface he uses is an RME Fireface 800 and I'm assuming his PC is super kickass)

Hey thanks a lot for that! that really helps to clear things up on how he tracks with almost no audible delay, cool stuff!

sorry but i couldn't find the joey sturgis Facebook group page, only his personal one or posers hah

Smaller Buffer size and using low latency monitoring helps :)

If i'm running plugins with a little bit of latency i usually bypass them when tracking to get rid of latency, then just reactivate to listen back.

Hope that helps