Latency with SIR reverb plugin and impulses (pro tools)

fufunono

New Metal Member
Oct 14, 2009
First off hi everyone! Ive been lurking here for a few months and can't thank all of you enough for the quality posts that go on in this place. Have gotten quite good at getting sounds out of Protools from just lurking around.
But anywho, could anyone explain the process behind counteracting the latency issues with the SIR reverb plugin? Ive been trying to record a track with Amplitube as my monitor and then throwing Wagner Sharp/SIR over it but I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the latency.

SIR introduces you with some mighty latency! That's the way the plugin works... guess it would be too CPU heavy if it didn't add any additional latency, or maybe it's something it needs to do for it to work at all. Although, there are impulse response loaders that work without any additional latency other than the one you have set as default in your interface.

Anyway, from what I've heard Pro Tools doesn't have Automatic Delay Compensation but I honestly can't say I'm sure about that, it's just something I've heard. I've never used Pro Tools more than 2 times and that was just for tracking something really simple at school... no FX involved. But what I wanted to say was that if Pro Tools doesn't have delay compensation, you're gonna have to move the track manually to compensate for the delay. And finally; if a plugin induces latency, there is no way of "getting rid of it". You can't monitor in real time with a plugin that induces latency, and no there is no way to work around it. You'll just have to use a different plugin or accept the fact that you won't be able to monitor in real time.

Ahhhh I think I understand. Is there a formular for figuring out how far back/forward I would have to move my track? Thanks for the replies thus far btw :heh:

look at the delay value then nudge back by same amount. Not the recommended way but will do the trick.

I use TL Space for realtime Cab impulses. If you're serious about using PT for recording the Music Production Toolkit is a bargain.