Lead guitarist in ma band (River Dragon Solo)

Powerslave said:
omg... wow.. did you just call me a drama queen and tell me i'm picking a fight?

does this seem a bit strange coming from Frets to anyone else? I mean... wow. I don't know what to say here.

Spare me.

FretsAflame said:
Drip, your friend is nailing it fairly well, but I'd recommend breaking the solo into pieces and nailing it with a metronome. Also I think what's missing from the overall 'feel' of the solo is the pick attack - being that your friend is picking softly and he needs to be a little more forceful on the marker notes. Although this is a criticism on the 'feel' of the solo, it stems from technique, which he is trying to focus on. But yeah, metronome should help him speed it up, otherwise he's making great progress on it. Oh, but the second half I'm not sure is tonally correct (bad tab?) he may want to relisten to the album and play along with that trying to match up the notes.

I think part of the problem is that it sounds like he's playing along to the PowerTab, which is reasonably accurate positionally but doesn't get the inflections right. (Damn hard to do in midi.) He is picking pretty light, but his left hand is pretty solid.

FretsAflame said:
Spare me.

What I'm wondering is... how will getting Powerslave to play the same thing actually prove anything in this thread?

Whilst his 'criticism' was more of an attack, granted, he had valid points all around. Would you rather we all snuggled up near a campfire and buttfucked each other for equal love all around?

When you post something on the internet it's open to criticism, and you should be open to receiving it. I mean, Youtube.com, where he posted the video even has a rating system. So I'm assuming in this instance it's his playing that we're rating.

Moonlapse said:
What I'm wondering is... how will getting Powerslave to play the same thing actually prove anything in this thread?

It doesn't prove anything. Every heard of the old expression "put your money where your mouth is"? It basically means that people can and will call you out on your criticism and ask for your credentials - especially when the criticisim is more of an "attack", to use your own words.

Moonlapse said:
When you post something on the internet it's open to criticism, and you should be open to receiving it. I mean, Youtube.com, where he posted the video even has a rating system. So I'm assuming in this instance it's his playing that we're rating.

Posting media on the internet isn't open to criticism, it's open to people with loud mouths to be anonymous haters. I don't think that these guys asked for anyone's opinion or shred critique. They just said check it out.

The rating system on youtube is based on the quality of the video, not necessarily the content, but the clip as a whole.

Does anyone remember the old saying about what happens when you assume things? I learned that one from Benny Hill back in the day.

Moonlapse said:

Whilst his 'criticism' was more of an attack, granted, he had valid points all around. Would you rather we all snuggled up near a campfire and buttfucked each other for equal love all around?

MOONLAPSE WHO ARE YOU TO FUCKING TALK?

lol jk, this thread is so nuts.

Moonlapse said:

It doesn't prove much, but then again I don't really give a shit. I'm merely accepting his offer to put his money where his mouth is.

Other than that, what Trey said was pretty much spot on.

eaeolian said:
I think part of the problem is that it sounds like he's playing along to the PowerTab, which is reasonably accurate positionally but doesn't get the inflections right. (Damn hard to do in midi.) He is picking pretty light, but his left hand is pretty solid.

Yeah that proabably has a bit to do with it. I'll agree that his left hand is pretty solid throughout the majority of the solo. IMO a metronome and breaking down the pattern into smaller pieces, as well as playing along with the album, would help get his inflection up to shape.

FretsAflame said:
It doesn't prove much, but then again I don't really give a shit. I'm merely accepting his offer to put his money where his mouth is.

Other than that, what Trey said was pretty much spot on.
Yeah, and he's fucking ugly.

Powerslave said:
metalskater: stop beating around the bush. do you want to hook up, yes or no?

No you didn't, you goofy looking motherfucker! James is mine, and if you EVER come onto him again, I will rip your fat fucking eyebrows off of your face and beat your ass with them, motherfucker!