Leasing My First Studio Room!! WOOO!!

Viral_Tyler

Oct 12, 2011
New Mexico, USA
(will update again soon)

I'm very excited, it has been a while since I've posted here and I'm glad to get back into this now that I've invested some cash, learned some about recording and mixing, and found a place to rent to set up a recording studio. There are two rooms that I get in the lease, both are unfortunately rectangular shaped rooms. Both rooms have a concrete wall on the far end, and it has finished drywall on the ceiling and all other walls. I'm pretty sure it is concrete underneath the flooring, the first room has yucky commercial carpet, the other room has some kind of tile (this room is reflective on all sides, and is a tiny bit smaller than the carpeted room). Since this isn't located in a household, the ceilings are a bit higher than usual. The rooms are located downtown in the lower level of a commercial building, perfect for recording or jamming in the evening and at night, though there is also a band that's renting a room right next door, they are super chill and said I can give them a week or two's notice on my planned recording dates and they will comply with them(and so it seems that not everyone in the world is against me, hahaha).

I don't want to work with the reflective room haha. So all of this work will just be done in the carpeted room.

So I already know that I'm going to have a standing wave problem given the rectangular shaped room with pretty much all reflective surfaces except the floor which is also an icky situation. I plan to put new carpet in, or at least lay it over so its nice looking and more comfortable, most likely that thick plush shit too so it'll help absorb a tiny bit more from aeration.

Today I'm going to be cutting burlap and wrapping it around some foam using spray adhesive to keep it tight, and will begin to tack the lowest end of the foam on the walls with industrial Velcro at just above 4' (plywood is 4' wide), these will be the bottom set of absorbers, this foam was also from my mother's insulin packages. I know this type of foam is not the best, it is what I have on hand with no cash and I need to do something fast to get this place semi-acoustically ready, soon I will be buying a couple memory foam bed toppers at 1 1/2" thick and will start tacking cut pieces of that in the same manner.

This Saturday or Sunday I'm set off to buy 4 - 4' x 8' plywood sheets and 4 piano hinges, so they can be folded up just in case.. I already have one plywood sheet that I'm going to put underneath my drum rug, will be adding another plywood sheet in front of it, so the platform will be an 8 foot square. On two of the walls (the one that's dividing our two rooms and the concrete wall) I will be leaning the plywood sheets long ways along the wall with about a foot or so kicked out on the floor (that way the reflections will move more sporadically around the room instead of just bouncing back into all of the mic's), will most likely set up the concrete wall's sheet first so the other sheet bumps right next to it.

I made 4 sound absorbers sometime last year, they are wrapped in the same burlap material and have a frame on the back, I used two r-38 grade insulation sheets on each absorber, they will be posted up tall ways in the corners.

I plan to hang wood pallets in the room by using a 1" x 8" furring strip attached to the studs and drywall using drywall anchors if needed. Before anything on the pallet phase I plan to cut the furring strip in the middle going long ways at an angle, so I can attach the furring strip not only to the wall, but to the pallet as well. I'll be attaching the furring strips to the walls and pallets in the same direction as they were cut, that way I can hang them along the wall long ways, then I can also move them around as necessary.

Later on after that, I will be doing more burlap memory foam absorbers along the top of the pallets, maybe some in-between coupled pallets, like layers almost. 3' x 1' of foam, 3' x 8' of pallet, 3' x 1' of foam, 3' x 8' of pallet, repeat. Below and above the pallets I will have other burlap foam absorbers.

Two other projects I want to complete as well.. I have a full free roll of sound insulation that I can use.

Above the drum kit I want to make a hanging absorbing frame. Should be straight forward and easy, hooks, chain, drywall anchors, 1" x 4" furring strips again for this, and burlap.

And I want to make kind of an isolation station for vocal recording. I'm thinking along the lines of PVC pipe, that insulation stuff, and some kind of cloth that people aren't allergic to, hahaha.

Not too sure what I can do with that damned concrete wall though. Anyone have any ideas to try to fix that? I've thought of doing all pallets for that wall, but I'm not even sure that will help since the wall is completely concrete.

Will be posting some pictures tonight.

Just had an idea with the reflective room, setting up a mic in there with the door open slightly when tracking to get a diffused and reverberative sound. Since it would only be one mic in there, there is no worry about phase issues, since it would most likely be used for a reverb channel or something like that :)

I took measurements of the room as well.

(within inches)

Width ~ 11' 8"
Length ~ 15' 10"
Height ~ 9' 4"

Concrete wall, carpet room (the foam I'm using is the yellow stuff)

IMAG0377.jpg

Exterior wall, carpet room (some of the wrapped foam is on the Line 6 amplifier, we decided to use two foam pieces per wrap to save burlap, and makes it slightly more effective)
IMAG0378.jpg

Reflective room, concrete wall (right side)
~edit~ the long, left wall, is concrete too.
IMAG0382.jpg

I got the pallets finally, it is about time to start ripping the cleat or furring strip material on the table saw in half, at an angle. :) I also got some weather-stripping foam to put in-between the ripped strip and the drywall, because gypsum board and wood resonate at different frequencies, causing a weird vibration to happen.

IMAG0396.jpg

Also got the other plywood and piano hinges.

IMAG0401.jpg

I got some pallets up on the walls now! All I have left, is the drum absorption cloud, the stackable absorption cubical walls in front of the concrete wall, the carpet, and the rest of the wall / door absorption. I'm very excited, though its a slow process with 2 bands and a full time job. I just bought the building and hanging materials to start working on the 4'x8' absorption cloud and the 4 - 4'x4' absorption walls.

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

Thanks dude! My friend and I just got some more shit done too!!

We finished building those absorbers " 4 - 4'x4' absorption walls " to break up the concrete crapola.

And we also finished and hung the absorption cloud too. I had quite the productive week, haha.

Check this out :)

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

Here's a more updated picture, since the floor is carpet over concrete, I decided to put down 4 quality wood-pallets on the floor and screwed thick plywood along the studs giving me an air gap between.

IMAG0358.jpg