Left Guitar, Right Guitar

dubbingmixer

Jul 10, 2008
Hey guys I appreciate that the whole Quad Tracking subject has been on this forum a billion times. I've done many a search but I can't find the answer I'm looking for...

I'm currently recording a screamo/hardcore band with 2 guitarists. They wish to have each guitar panned either side, easily done.

However my question is, would it be worthwhile if I record each guitar take a second time, and pan it closer to the center? Would this help thicken up the sound as such?

Panning Example:

Guitar 1 <100
Guitar 1 <80
Guitar 2 >80
Guitar 2 >100

Hope I've been clear enough, just wondering how you guys go about something like this.

Thanks

Isn't this easy enough to just try and see how it sounds? I'm assuming you already have the tracks so its just changing to panning values.

I have each guitar take recorded x1, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending another night to record the guitar tracks again. I don't have too much time on my hands at the moment, but if it will make the production any better I am more than willing too.

I'm just wondering if there is a standard, or a meaningful technique that anybody knows of.

Quadtracking is good if you want a wall of sound. If you have tight, intricate riffs double tracking is usually better/easier.

If you're tracking both guitarists and ARE quadtracking.. perhaps consider making one guitarist 100/100 and the other 80/80 (I think this is generally how quadtracking is done). Otherwise the left and right guitars can be substantially different because of the different guitarists and could be a pain to mix (although this is done a lot anyway). I think generally the 80/80 tracks are a bit softer to keep the guitars on the outsides of the stereo image.

I think you can get a really big and full sound from just a double track too, it depends on the quality of the sound. I've heard some shit that's only double tracked and it sounds so thick.

It's up to you though, anything for the music... right? :)