Legato madness

yeatchia

齊天大&
Sep 8, 2006
hi all,

any recommendations to develop such smooth legato as of MArcels?

Well what you could do, is find the tab of an existing solo that has legato parts in it. Or come up with some simple exercises of your own, like:

E----------------------7-8-10-8-7-8-10 --------------------------8-10-12-10-8-10-12-
B-----7-8-10-8-7-8-10----------------------8-10-12-10-8-10-12-----------------------10-12-13-12-10etc. only picking the first note and repeat it several times. I assume you know the finger settings for each pattern.

So you can use a C Major, E Minor or whatever scale ( depending on how much you know of musical theory / how long you've been playing. But don't make it too hard when you're just starting out) and instead of picking the notes, you work your way up and down the strings playing legato, playing only the first note when you get to the next string.

It's very important to do this with a metronome and start very slowly ( something I didn't always do). If you have the feeling you're lacking strength in your fingers to play legato smoothly and evenly, then you can do extra exercises to improve on that too. Practicing Thrills with different finger settings is an option, or hit a note and make it sound for as long as you can.

That's all I can think of at the moment! :)