MJR tapping stuff

Racer X

Banala Box Warrior
Mar 14, 2002
Finland
Visit site
how he does that ? Does he pick any notes does he do that all the way legato? (stringskippin'tappin'-stuff)?

how low are those strings? Almost touching the frets?

How does he tap so cleanly?, I can tap the intro riff to sea of lies but I get string noise from hell. Also the main tapping part from sea of lies with the string skipping.... impossible without noise

Originally posted by tony bologna
How does he tap so cleanly?, I can tap the intro riff to sea of lies but I get string noise from hell. Also the main tapping part from sea of lies with the string skipping.... impossible without noise

Its just practice man, slowly building it up to speed, also superfuckinglow action helps too. Thorns of Sorrow said he got to play his guitar once and his action is practically touching the frets.

any of you feel this way?
When I have very low action I can come close to playing some of that romeo tapping stuff. But with low action my arpegios becomes messy, With higher action I can play arpegios better and forget about any fast -legato tapping. Also I use a fender with medium frets, maybe thats the problem?

Originally posted by RED OCTOBER
any of you feel this way?
When I have very low action I can come close to playing some of that romeo tapping stuff. But with low action my arpegios becomes messy, With higher action I can play arpegios better and forget about any fast -legato tapping. Also I use a fender with medium frets, maybe thats the problem?

I have extremely low action and I have no problem with my arps hehe. Medium frets might make legatoing harder than larger frets. I use dunlop 6100. Towards the center of the neck it almost feels like scallops.

Yeh, I played his guitar and the action is incredibly low. If you get string noise, I suggest you lower your gain, a good tapping/legato sound, IMO comes from a tight low gain distortion and strong fingers. I can play a few Romeo tapping licks, and when I first attempted them I gut buzz and fret noise galore. I lowered the gain on my amp to about 5.5/6, at first its harder because w/o the distortion mask, you hear all your mistakes and such. In the long run it made my fingers strong as all hell, and cleaned up my technique ALOT. As far as action goes, its certainly easier to play the tapping/legato stuff on super low action, but personally I prefer mediocre action, I dunno I just like the tone and the feel more. *shrugs* Good luck.

How do you lower your action without getting a buzz on the strings when u fret notes ?

I'm not sure if my neck is warped, but whenever I try and lower my action, I get this irritating buzz. To avoid it, I end up raising my action pretty high. Any ideas ?

Originally posted by axepert
How do you lower your action without getting a buzz on the strings when u fret notes ?

I'm not sure if my neck is warped, but whenever I try and lower my action, I get this irritating buzz. To avoid it, I end up raising my action pretty high. Any ideas ?

Well...I'm not sure, but you may need to adjust the intonation on your neck, or you may need to lower where the bridge is mounted....It all depends...What kind of guitar do you have?

Any tips on how I can adjust the intonation of my neck ? Do I adjust the screws located underneath the neck piece ?

My guitar is a Yamaha YG612 with Floyd Rose. I've tried lowering the bridge previously to get the action lower, but that was when the buzz started occuring. It seems to be buzzing on the neighbouring frets.

floyd rose's are a pain in the ass... that's probably half your problem :err:

Ever tried to do the intonation on one of those things? My god it's difficult. i did it once, and i've never done it again, i had to chock up the whole floating bridge with a peice of wood to do it even half decent.