Let Us Discuss Bands That Use 3 Guitarists.....

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
I guess the newest trend in "hard rock/heavy metal" music is the use of 3 guitarist. When I say this I mean bands who have 3 guitarist in addition to the singer, bassist, and drummer. Some current bands using 3 guitarist include: Andrew W.K., Dragpipe, Zwan, Guns N' Roses???, and Brand New Sin (there might be others). I guess these bands think it is "cool" to have 3 guitarist. Personally, I think the majority of the bands mentioned above suck (well, maybe not Brand New Sin and "Appetite" era Guns N' Roses.) Little do these bands know (or maybe they do) is that this is not an "all new phenomenon". The use of 3 guitars has been utilized before. The "TRIPLE AXE ATTACK" has been used by such bands as the SCORPIONS, KEEL, LEATHERWOLF, and IRON MAIDEN (to name a few), and these bands did it with class and style, unlike todays "newer" bands. I'm sure there have been other "earlier" bands such as the Allman Brothers, The E Street Band, and probably some blues bands using 3 guitarists, (and please mention them and enlighten me in following posts). My point is, if a band is going to have 3 guitarists, please do it with style and class like IRON MAIDEN, ETC... And don't do it as a "trendy" thing or the "thing to do". Comments, Questions, and other remarks welcomed. CHEERS.

The other is the technical guy............

The other just layes down the patterns(rythm)

Are you guys dumb or what? Listen first of all having thre guitarists isn't a new trend, as a matter of fact it is not trend at all. You mentioned that the Allman Bros. had 3, What about Lynyrd Skynyrd? They had 3 guitars too. ( I love southern Rock) Listen, one guys plays rythem and the other 2 can play harmonized lead. Thats what happens.

I guess one can play rhythm, one plays lead, and the other plays rhythm, and lead when a "double lead" effect was used in the studio to preserve the sound live.

Lynyrd Skynyrd had three guitar players, true, if you listen to the live One More From the Road you'll see why at times all three are playing lead at once!
The Allman Bros did not have three. the original lineup had Duane Allman (who frequently played slide) and Dickey Betts; when Duane was killed, they replaced him with Chuck Leavel, a piano player, and in concert when they needed to replicate the 2nd guitar part Gregg allman would stop playing organ and play along with Betts.
After they got back together and made some shitty albums, finally they got Warren Haynes to play 2nd lead (and do Duane's old slide parts). Warren Haynes now plays in Govt. Mule, who are not metal but do most righteously jam in a fierce, heavy way.

If you see the Allmans today (or even care), they are usually in some configuration of Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring, and Derek Trucks.

I wanted to see the Allman bros. when they came around touring here whenever it was .. but $60 for a ticket?? hell no. and that was even lawn seating at a pavilion.

What I said previously was: "The use of 3 guitars has been utilized before. The "TRIPLE AXE ATTACK" has been used by such bands as the SCORPIONS, KEEL, LEATHERWOLF, and IRON MAIDEN (to name a few), and these bands did it with class and style, unlike todays "newer" bands. I'm sure there have been other "earlier" bands such as the Allman Brothers, The E Street Band, and probably some blues bands using 3 guitarists, (and please mention them and enlighten me in following posts)."

Furthermore, I now its nothing new, but I have noticed a "resurgence". I don't know how I forgot Skynyrd, I was typing too fast I guess. My point was, some bands do it well, others don't. CHEERS

I saw them last night out in Yucaipa and they kicked ass! They have 3 guitarists, including lead singer Eric Bloom. He plays rhythm guitar and occasionally trades off with Alan Lanier, the keyboardist, who plays rhythm and some twin leads with Buck Dharma.

Beyond The Embraced, a criminally-unknown metal band from Massachusetts, uses 3 guitars, and having just had the opportunity to see them live, do it well.

They're a mixture of aggressive thrashy, melodic death, and some power metal, and coincidentally, are also playing at the BW&BK 6-pack festival in Cleveland.