Let's talk about drums...

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
I see threads by someone wanting to know about a guitar or an effects pedal all the time, so since I've been GASing for a new kit anyhow, I decided that we should put up a thread like this for a change.

What kind of drums have you guys used/recorded? Which drums have featured the best sound in your opinion? Which brand and line, if you can remember?

Which cymbal line sounds best recorded (and in real life) in your opinion?

How many of you have recorded a Ludwig Supraphonic, the most recorded snare in history? It's versatile, but do you find it fits for metal? Which other snares do you like?

I didn't really make this thread for recommendations for myself, I've got everything planned. I just want to learn and let others learn about something else than Slate or S2.0.

If I could choose a kit to record (which I am also going to purchase as soon as I find the kit used and in good condition) I'd take a Yamaha Recording Custom, which allegedly is the most recorded kit by date. With a Supraphonic and Paiste 2002 cymbals... Maybe a Wuhan china, but I don't know how recording-friendly Wuhans are.

I own a mid-70's Supra and I love it; I've sold nearly every other snare I own because I never used them. It's capable of everything from low-tuned wet ballads, to tight pop/funk. Could it do metal? Probably... would it be the best fit? Depends.

I've recorded a drummer using the Yamaha Musashi snare and that thing is perfect - decent body with a tight crack that cuts through guitars easily. Great snare for live use, too.

Even shoddy drums can sound decent when tuned/mic'd well, which is always a good thing about tracking live drums. I just recorded a lower-end Mapex kit and I just did a bit of a blend on the toms during mixing, he used the newer Evans EC2 heads and they sounded really good mic'd up, considering the whole kit cost him maybe $500 :)

favourite kits to record have been a DW collectors,
Cheapy Gretsch
Tama Starclassic
Favourite Snares are
Pearl free FLoating Brass
Tama Star Classic
Supra

You can almost make every drum sound good as long as the drummer, tuning & mic setup are good.

Personally I'm a huge Sabian fan (and endorser :p)...haha.
For me personally I dig the AA & AAX series. The HHX sound a bit to "thin" for my taste, allthough they do cut through the walls of guitars they don't do "it" for me, as oppossed to doing "it" for Thomas Haakke & Daniel Erlandsson, just to name 2.

Drums. For me it's Pearl or DW. Since I started drumming I haven't owned any other kit then a Pearl kit. I feel they always keep the quality on a high level and make sure as much as possible is done to perfection. DW's just sound so amazing as it can be, tho you pay the price for this. I'm not saying the rest is crap, Tama, Mapex, Sonor, Yamaha + the rest all have great drums and great sounding drums! I'm just a Pearl guy.

Never had much with those "custom" drums. They don't bring much new to the block since they all use the exact same shells from the same factory. I owned a OCDP 12x7 + 3 vents, which was nice, and very good sounding, only not worth the $1200.

If you want to get into good sounding drums, try to find an early / mid 90's Pearl Export. They used the real Maple on those drums, where they now use Poplar. The maple sounds warmer and better.

I own a Pearl masters mmx, with to me, a godly sound..

If I was to put together a simple kit it would be.
Pearl BRX Birch kick 24"
Pearl MMX toms
Pearl Ultracast 14x5,5 snare or DW

Dudes I'm sorry, but a Drumkit isn't half as sexy as a great guitar ;)
But I think the black panther has to be a cool snare

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom, and the mounting system is very convenient. They also sound pretty good to my ears. I think cymbals should be higher priority than the drums themselves, though. Pretty much any drum can sound great with good heads/tuning.

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom, and the mounting system is very convenient. They also sound pretty good to my ears. I think cymbals should be higher priority than the drums themselves, though. Pretty much any drum can sound great with good heads/tuning.

Definitely... you can make cheap drums sound great but shitty cymbals are always going to sound shitty

Don't know about exports, generally people never really recommend them unless you're a beginner - I have no experience on older Exports though. But I'm thinking of rather getting a birch set instead of maple anyway. That said, I don't have anything against Pearl, they just don't get recommended that often. I should look into stuff more myself rather than always listen to what other people think :p

Sabian XS20s

I always though these were some crap Sabian B8 line, but it appears they're made of B20 alloy. Might look into these...

I've been thinking about the AAXs too, but I've heard the rides are a letdown. No one stops from getting a different ride than the other cymbals though... Didn't like the sample clips of the AAX hihats either, but sample clips always suck ass anyway.

The 2002s get a lot of love, but they aren't B20 but some special alloy by Paiste - the same as Alphas. Don't like the sound of Alphas enough, but 2002s DO WANT

Never heard about SJCs before - doubt I'll find them used anywhere. Their prices are pretty steep, are they worth the price?

Maybe it's just a couple of personal experiences, but I think they're SUPER FUCKING LOUD. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider when putting up mics.

As far as hi-hats go, I think I've fallen in love with the old Zildjan K Custom hats <3

They are loud, I have one. Really gets itself heard :headbang: sounds good too, especially for the price.

I might need to check out some Ks, but the ones I've heard so far have been a bit too dry for my tastes.

I think all the higher end drums usually sound great,but my personal fave for studio/live are the DW collectors series. something about the way they sound and feel I like alot. as far as cymbals for me hands down it's the Paiste signature series. they record awesome. the highs really cut and I really dig the tone they have.....but they are expensive(the reason I switched from them to meinl). I also dig the meinl soundcaster customs (what I'm using now) as well as the zildjian A customs. they all record very well.