Let's talk about protection!

Jolty

Monochromatic Stains
Dec 27, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.last.fm
What sort of protection do you use at concerts? :)

I've tried foam earplugs, and they are terrible. They muffle the sound, and I can't stand them.
I've also tried something called "earloves", and I used them the night I saw Melechesh, and they were amazing (the earplugs, but also Melechesh) because I wasn't directly up front, but I was on the rail the next night for Cannibal Corpse, and I had to take them out because they have pieces that stick out from your ears, and people kept slamming their arms into the sides of my head, and it hurt and I was afraid they were going to impale my eardrum or something. D: So the earloves are out if I want to be front-and-centre...

I've only been going to concerts since 2005, and I can already tell that my hearing isn't what it used to be. I think, out of every show I've been to, Cannibal Corpse probably did the most damage.

What do you guys use? Anything? Has anyone found anything that doesn't muffle the sound, but that also doesn't stick out an inch?

I've tried foam earplugs, and they are terrible. They muffle the sound, and I can't stand them.

My protections are just long hair :cool: but i do use earplugs when i dont know the support band or it's just too loud.

Since the thread title says protection in general, I think using high quality earphones and headphones helps a lot. At home I use a Philips headphone with a 6-30 frequency range at a very low volume, and sony earphones I altered myself to have clean sound even at high volume when walkin down the street (to cover the obvious noise).

Yeah I've been wanting to get some of those too... .

Still, I've gone to a lot of concerts and I have never worn any ear-protection-device.

I should though :Smug: . Oh well I guess ear wax helps :lol: .

I've never used anything. On a couple of occasions I entertained the idea, mostly in hindsight after a particularly loud event.

While I don't attend concerts often (I think I've been to six in 2007, and at least two of them were open air situations), I can't really say that loud music has affected my hearing despite +10 years of... listening hard. ;)
If you can tell it's already affecting you, Jolty, maybe you have sensitive eardrums - in which case by all means keep looking for adequate protection - or maybe you actually recover a bit after a while.

Since the thread title says protection in general, I think using high quality earphones and headphones helps a lot. At home I use a Philips headphone with a 6-30 frequency range at a very low volume, and sony earphones I altered myself to have clean sound even at high volume when walkin down the street (to cover the obvious noise).

I have a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. They make me feel weird when I take them off, haha, but I wear them when I take the train and they cover the noises that it makes fairly well. I can still hear high-pitched noises, but luckily the 500 people squished up against me in the morning never say a single word. :p They don't work too well on the bus, though, since it makes all sorts of awful noises, instead of just a continuous hum.

I'm a little bit worried that they will damage my ears with whatever mechanism they use to block out the other sounds, but obviously not worried enough to stop wearing them or research it in any way.

@Rahvin: It isn't really that bad, I'm just noticing that sounds aren't as clear as they used to be. Maybe it is possible for it to go away on its own, that is what I am hoping.

i use this kind of earplugs
tri-grip-earplugs.gif

mine are specially for music so i dont ear only the bass/drums when i wear them.

@D_S: where did you get them? i don't use plugs and it is rare for me to go to a gig, but my ears rang for 2 days after the last DT show.

I have a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. They make me feel weird when I take them off, haha, but I wear them when I take the train and they cover the noises that it makes fairly well. I can still hear high-pitched noises, but luckily the 500 people squished up against me in the morning never say a single word. :p They don't work too well on the bus, though, since it makes all sorts of awful noises, instead of just a continuous hum.

This ones cover all sorts of noise, even at low volume, because they block your ears entirely, and have a great frequency range. The sound seems to come from a distance, and it doesnt harm the ear at all.

EC.SON.MDREX81LPB.JPG

This ones below are the ones I ve been using for ages, you can take off the soft plastic protection and the sound is loud but clean. You can raise the volume as high as you want (not your deal), the sound remains clean.

sony-mdred21lp.jpg

Overall condoms and headbutts if provoked. :heh:

But if seriously - none whatsoever. Concerts are like sex: once you use any protection - you are loosing a feel for it :kickass:

@D_S: where did you get them? i don't use plugs and it is rare for me to go to a gig, but my ears rang for 2 days after the last DT show.

i bought them on an online music store www.thomann.de
maybe you can ask for them in music store? My brother also has some, i bought them somewhere else but i cant remember which kind of store it was.

i was also glad when i first got them because i also had my ars ringing for 2 days after the last concert i went to without earplugs.

I usually wear foam eraplugs when taking pictures in the photopit, while I don't use any protection when I am listening to a show.... just sounds more intense when you're not plugging anything into the ears!

at the beginning, i didnt want to waer earplugs either, but then i had the same feeling that Jolty described. But foam earplugs arent very good, they mess the sound up. I had to buy some of those in Wacken in 2007 because i forgot my good earplugs at home... damn :mad:

I also read on a guitar forum some testimonies from people who now suffer from ringing in the ears because they played too loud or went to concerts without waering earplugs.

I know that there are also earplugs that can be made specially for you, at the form of your ear, and they are even better than the one i have, but they are very expensive. As i dont go to concerts very often, i dont need that.

The small foam ones remind little Plinny of his own Penis (yes, the word Penis is written with a capital P).

@Plintus: Why do you always have to post such posts that make me make fun of your Penis? And by the way, you forgot to put a few "1"s behind the "!"s.