Lets talk high end studios for the Noob..

But my budget (if my accountant worked all this out right) will be around 125k to get everything built out, installed, configed, and running.

Hes thinking 8 to 10 years, and I know technology changes a shit ton iwthin that time frame, but I am just trying to wrap my head around the whole "BIG STUDIO" thing. I want to build a room that the pros can feel comfortable coming into and working like they are used to.

If your budget is 125k all in, and in 8-10 years, you'll be able to have a dream studio, totally done up for that kind of cash.

But my budget (if my accountant worked all this out right) will be around 125k to get everything built out, installed, configed, and running.

Hes thinking 8 to 10 years, and I know technology changes a shit ton iwthin that time frame, but I am just trying to wrap my head around the whole "BIG STUDIO" thing.
When you say "8 to 10 years" do you mean you'll have this kind of money in 8 to 10 years or over a period of 8 to 10 years at some point?

Jesus Christ thats a shit ton more power consumption then I thought .. OK FUCK SSL. Ill stick to the plugins ....lol

For those of you wondering, I have a 5 acre plot in New Mexico that I will be building the house and studio on. Probably looking anywhere between 9,000 and 10,000 sqft for the house and another 4,000 or 5,000 sqft for the studio which will be a separate building off the main house. Im think 2 tracking areas, one mainly for vocals / overdubs, and a main room for drums and larger room sound. Probably 2 control rooms as well, one small one for smaller productions 16 / 24 track, and the main room having 128 or more depending on what fits in the budget. My plan is to go big and go pro on all of it.

Accountant is thinking totally for everything including construction costs I should be in the $800,000 or $900,000 range. If I can keep up with my current regime, and the 401k and investments stay moderately strong. I will be looking at about a mill and a half to retire on. So throwing another $125k at a studio and making bucks off of that and additional investments should keep me covered till I'm dead and buried ....lol

Ya I hear ya man, that's much more then I thought it would be. But as suggested possibly Neve is the way to go, or just forego the whole "board" thing and stick to Chandlers / Cranesongs. Who knows, we are really talking YEARS down the road at this point, but I still am interested in how it all "works". That's what I really think the first place is I should be looking, and not having access to a pro studio here in Vegas you guys are my life line to it at this point.

I see you guys talk about sooo many things that just make me go HUH??

This is really my dream, even if I don't become a "producer" I would still really love to own a studio to have bands come in and create great music. That's really my favorite part of the entire thing. Seeing the idea that creates the spark, that turns into a riff that becomes a song. Being a producer / ae or studio owner I feel is the best way to achieve that when you are WAY past your prime as being a musician like me ....lol

But if fat old jews ever become the "in vogue" thing in the industry i will scrap the BIG STUDIO idea and take to the stage ...lol

Some type of Hybrid systems seems to be the best way to go even if it is hard to let go of the whole analogue desk thing.

Perhaps 2 SSL racks with EQ's total recall, throw in 2 Crane Song spiders a couple of hardware comps and you will have such an awesome studio

In fact .... this is what it looked like... hahahaha

2_inch_studer-big.jpg

I went and had a little tour of my buddies new studio in down town Syracuse.

They are dropping massive cash on this thing (if I were to guess they are probably in the $500,000-700,000 area. But only because the building already existed). Every room is de coupled from each other (a bunch of rooms inside a room decoupled from everything), they hired an architect that specializes in the design and acoustics of studios. They even have this nifty design where the windows joining all the live rooms and the control room are from ceiling to floor (very niffty IMO).

Reminds me of that Michael Wagner vid I posted a few months ago, shit is REALLY impressive.

Anyhow, my point is they are dropping MASSIVE cash on this building and some new gear (they already have lots o nice shit) and at one point they were thinking Neve board.

They didn't do it (and instead went all outboard with no desk at all, using pro controls for pro tools). When it comes down to it a Hybrid just makes more sense practically and logistically I guess.

Ya the more i sit here thinking about it these guys are totally right.

I mean dropping 50k on an old ass piece of hardware that is going to need repair every few months is a bad idea. Going with some good pres and comps I am really thinking is the way to go, and besides i can take the reast of the cash and really focus on things like good mics, comps, and a couple distressors.

It would be cool as fuck to own as SSL, but I really guess its not too practical :(

I totally get where you are coming from with the studio planning though.
ive been planning my own for years and slowly building up gear over a long period of time,
Right now i have enough gear to make a pretty respectable project studio and i dont need much to take that to the next level just some more pre's and mics really.
i almost bought a pro control a few days ago but i ended up getting a Euphonix MC Control as it will be supported for longer by Avid but part of me really wanted that big console look to impress the clients,
I dont think im alone in thinking that a big part of the wanting a large format console is for the pro look it will give your studio apart from the functionality, but with the Mc control is can do pretty much anything you want it do its totally customisable but its small :) maybe one day Icon/D Commands will be within my reach.

I mean dropping 50k on an old ass piece of hardware that is going to need repair every few months is a bad idea. Going with some good pres and comps I am really thinking is the way to go, and besides i can take the reast of the cash and really focus on things like good mics, comps, and a couple distressors.

It would be cool as fuck to own as SSL, but I really guess its not too practical :(

It might not be very romantic, but this is pretty much how I feel about it :)

Don't worry, I'm sure you won't be missing an SSL when you get the place up and running!

What about using the AWS900 as your Centerpiece so you have 24 Fader based summing with EQ, and then you can go crazy with an API Lunchbox and SSL Lunchbox thingy as well. You get the feel of a desk with a DAW controller and analog signal path as well. They go used a lot cheaper than a full sized SSL. There is also the Neve Genesys: http://www.ams-neve.com/Products/Music/Genesys/Genesys.aspx

Hybrid is the way of the near future. As the guys in the know have told you... an old analogue mixing desk is just not worth owning anymore. You'll probably be running at a loss just paying your insurance/electricity/maintenance on the studio with them.

Beyond the near future it's inevitable that the ITB tools will consolidate their sounds. Even hybrid will go the way of the dodo, and many of us will be left with racks full of paperweights. But at least they'll be physical paperweights with twiddly knobs and stuff.

I don't know how they compare to the SSL but maybe check out these consoles:

M4-sqon_smaller.jpg

They sound good, but I wouldn't associate them with what I've learned to think as the SSL sound. They sound pretty smooth and, well, mellow, if that makes sense. I like tracking vocals, overheads and such through the M4, but I prefer to use something else for drums etc. I've also tracked and mixed quite a bit with the VTC24, and while these units sound really nice, they really don't strike me as all that reliable. Lots of little faults every now and then.

And about the TLA stuff, for some very strange reason, if you want/have to swap the tube on one the channels, you actually have to remove the panel for the whole eight channel group and all the knobs (which are mounted to the pot shafts with a rather irritating screw system). It's a pain in the ass.