Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
I've had this album for over a year, and every time I listen to it, I just can belive how AWESOME it is.

I wanted to discuss the lyrics a bit, they're sort of dark, for me, it talks about death and the way life passes through your eyes when you're about to die, and you dream about a perfect world. I love the way it ends with children noises and the song, and then sort of a clicking sound, like a coffin closing maybe... I don't know, tell me your views about the lyrics on this masterpiece...

I don't know. I enjoy listening to it, and do so quite often, but even when I hear it with a lyrics sheet I find some sections a tad boring. A large part of the work is admittedly brilliant (especially the first twenty minutes and the solo), but the female vocals, for example, take a lot of getting used to and aren't really a warranted inclusion.

People throw around masterpiece way too often here. Light of Day... is a flawed tragedy. The female vocal section in particular is one of the most abominable things I have ever heard. It's horrid. Utterly shockingly terrible. It should have been edited. The rest of the song is just too long, the song is not strong enough to be as long as it is. I think Tchort just wanted to write as long of a song as possible, so he didn't really give any thought to making it actually all that good. It should have been split into different tracks so I could fast forward past the garbage which most of the second half consists.

I wouldnt call it a "masterpiece" but it is an excellent piece of music, save for a couple moments. But...it is a masterpiece compared to their latest piece of shit album, Blessing In Disguise.

I would call it a Masterpice.

Its all about the taste.

And about the lyric. I consider it as a journey of a man trought the world of darkness and dreams. Something like a dark metafor of what "day" its suppoused to be.
Everytime i liste to this album, i imagine myself in a dark forest. A-la "blair witch project" kind of forest.

Amazing album, amazing band.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. In the Woods... wrote far better music in the vein of Green Carnation. GO listen to HEart of the Ages or Omnio, and LoDDoD will pale in comparison.

THat being said, I do like LoDDoD, and the middle section with the female singer doesn't bother me at all.

I love Light of Day, Day of Darkness...

I just received Journey to the End of Night in the mail today and im on song 3 right now...if you think the female vocals in LODDOD are bad, dont bother listening to this...the male vocals arent all that great either, the music though is pretty awesome

id love to have all of their albums without vocals...i love their music but the vocals are too gothic sounding for me

I think LoDDoD is excellent. It is rather simple but I like it anyway. There are a few boring passages, so what? All albums have that. In the Woods are very good too, but they are rather generic and certainly not very original. But screw that, who cares? I would put them to same level as Green Carnation.

LuminousAether: Aren't you the one who liked Garms atrocious vocals on the last track of La Masquerade Infernale? You write sensible posts. And sometimes amusing. :)

I love LoD,DoD. There's only like one part with the woman that's annoying(when she squealing like she's giving birth) and that's it.

The whole song is worth it for the riff at 16:20.

I got Omnio, and found In the Woods a little boring and simple compared to Green Carnation... matter of taste.

Some other comments on LoDDoD, I find the middle section very interesting, it adds a lot of depth to the album and makes an interesting transition between the heavy sections. I just love the riffs on this album, and the drumming is superb IMO.

Everything about Omnio is infinitely superior to everything Green Carnation has done. Comparing them is pointless, In the Woods beats the shit out of GC with ease. Generic? That's laughable. Truly fucking laughable.

And I don't like Garm's vocals, I love them. He's the best thing out of the black metal scene and one of the best vocalists I have ever heard. Of Nails and Sinners is also my second favorite song on that album, it fucking RULES beyond belief (The Throne of Tragedy is also easily the best). His dark intoned vocals on that song are awesome, and when he switches to the more operatic and melodic style it sends chills down my spine.

"When I rise to avenge myself with darkness, the anger of the damned shall flow..." fucking awesome. If you don't like Garm's vocals there don't listen to bands like KorovaKill and Devil Doll, they are much harder to stomach.

LuminousAether said:
Everything about Omnio is infinitely superior to everything Green Carnation has done. Comparing them is pointless, In the Woods beats the shit out of GC with ease.
I have to agree here. Omnio and HEart of the Ages make GC look amateurish. The Botteri twins played on GC's debut, but were unable to match the magic they displayed in In the Woods...

To me, GC is merely a poor man's In the Woods...

I like LoD, DoD quite a bit. I could do without that female section of the song but the rest of it I like a lot. I also like In The Woods...

I did not like Blessing In Disguise when I first heard it but I revisited it a few months after I got it and it grew on me quite a bit. I now love the majority of the songs on that album as well.

The weak male and female vocals ruined Journey for me. The music was good but I also thought a bit boring at the same time.

Dreamlord said:
I have to agree here. Omnio and HEart of the Ages make GC look amateurish. The Botteri twins played on GC's debut, but were unable to match the magic they displayed in In the Woods...

To me, GC is merely a poor man's In the Woods...
Really? For me it's the other way around

LuminousAether said:
Everything about Omnio is infinitely superior to everything Green Carnation has done. Comparing them is pointless, In the Woods beats the shit out of GC with ease.
I just listened to Omnio and I am now certain that I like LoDDoD better.