Like Light Cover

ConanRTTG

New Metal Member
Jun 26, 2009
Hey guys! Mixing newb here who really wants to get better at production and is in need of tips! I've done a cover of Like Light by Trivium (not my cup of tea but simple enough to track fairly quickly) which I'd appreciate some feed-back on. I know the mix isn't anywhere near perfect but I'm at a loss here as of how to proceed and hopefully a bit of friendly advice might point me in the right direction as to how I can improve it.

I used a Pod X3 with custom patches for the guitars and bass, and I programmed the drums using Addictive Drums samples which I tweaked slightly.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

:headbang:

Soundclick

Edit: Sorry about the quality of the Soundclick upload!

Thanks for the reply!

It sounded fine before I had to compress the track to mp3 but I can fix the overheads. I'll have another check with overall levels to make sure there's no clipping. I haven't done anything in terms of mastering. Just trying to get a solid mix atm. Anything else I could alter?

Well if it's just the mp3 compression causing the clipping, then throw a limiter on the master buss with the output set at -0.3. This should protect you from those nasty clips.

As for anything else, fix these 2 things first and post another mix. Not only will it be easier to pick out other mix issues, but it will keep your thread near the top and maybe one of the more experienced guys on this board will give ya some tips.

Thanks for that! I brought down the overheads and added a limiter. It should be on the Soundclick page

This whole fucking mix is mono.

Start by panning your instruments. :/

Guitars L & R - 100%
Overheads L & R - 100%

Turn your overheads down, they are cluttering everything up.

But seriously, it's hard to rate this mix because it's all down the center.

And it's pumping, bad.

The pumping started when I added the limiter. And just realised I had bounced as mono even though I mixed in stereo. Both those problems should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

Haha oh right, I understand now! Ya that's just a guitar pro track I havent got around to tracking yet. I'll pan the guitars more and update the mix. What about the drums?