Lionheart is Awesome!

Jugulator2

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2004
Hello everybody-

I'm new to the site and a new fan of this band! Up until about 2 weeks
ago, I had very limited knowledge of Saxon (but have been a Priest and
Maiden fan for many years).But on a whim, on Amazon.com, two Sundays
ago I was listening to the song clips for "Lionheart" and was intrigued. The following Saturday I bought the album and I love it. It's got that classic "beefy" British metal feel I love. It's good old meat and potatoes metal and I can't get enough! Charly Baurfeind's production has always been one of my favorites anyway, having worked with Joachim Can's(Hammerfall)solo album and some Helloween albums. The production is great the songs are great and I'm feelin' it. Consider me a new fan. Now what to buy next? I've heard that they started making a huge comeback with "Unleash the Beast", so I was thinking of getting that or "Metalhead" or "Killing Ground". Anyway, any info is appreciated...Thanks guys..

P.S. Any talk of a U.S. tour? Detroit? I'll be there.

A yank from Detroit, Mi..USA

Welcome, Juggs! I'm so pleased that the band are picking up new fans with this album!

Like you have said, I'd get 'Unleash The Beast' first. But, if you like 'Lionheart', buying 'Killing Ground' or 'Metalhead' will be very rewarding also. These albums all follow the same kind of Metal strategy, if you know what I mean?

Once you get familiar with the band, I recommend the earlier albums, 'Denim & Leather' and 'Wheels Of Steel'. By this time, you'll just want to buy everything!

What about "The eagle has landed II"?

I guess that is the right long player to get the right feeling for Saxon, since they kick ass live...and that record does kick big time, imho.

You're right on that, Kelly - 'The Eagle Has Landed pt2' is one of the best live albums out there, in my opinion.
Unlike many live compilations, it would help me get into the band very easily if I didn't knw much about them. Most live albums aren't like that - they are for fans only, but Pt 2 does have something special about it.

I'm in a similar boat as the thread starter...I just heard Lionheart for the first time through and was really impressed...though I've previously heard OF the band, this is the first stuff I've listened to...can't wait to check out the back catalog. I wish I could've seen them open for Iced Earth (my fave band) back in June

Good, good. If the postman doesn't bring my copy tomorrow, I swear I'm gonna strangle the guy with my bare hands - I want my CD!

Yeah, I thought Killing Ground was great, but The Best of Saxon also has some veritable 'greats' on it.

I lived in devon up to a few months ago Eorl, I wouldnt hold your breath, the postman only comes out when the wind is blowing EXACTLY S by S SW and the clouds are shaped like sticks of rhubarb!
Laziest postmen ever, used to get my 'morning' mail at 3pm!!!

Yep, Macc - that sounds like the English work ethic! No wonder Saxon are bigger over in Europe!
Eorl - I was aware of Saxon for years and had a couple of early albums. It wasn't until I got 'The Best Of' CD that I got really hooked!

been die hard maiden fan but when saxon came out with metalhead pick it up made me go give the boys anotheir shot now got everything except destiny and thats on order.glad to be apart of saxon to carry on metal like maiden does.

macc189 said:
I lived in devon up to a few months ago Eorl, I wouldnt hold your breath, the postman only comes out when the wind is blowing EXACTLY S by S SW and the clouds are shaped like sticks of rhubarb!
Laziest postmen ever, used to get my 'morning' mail at 3pm!!!

The horrible creature is now two days behind shedule! :yell: . But yeah, they are damned lazy. Where did you used to live?

nightwar said:
Yep, Macc - that sounds like the English work ethic! No wonder Saxon are bigger over in Europe!

How strange, that's how it worked out with me.. :)

Welcome to the forum Crimson King - you're obviously a man of taste!
I'm glad you're getting all the Saxon stuff - even 'Destiny' is worth getting!

Regarding Maiden - I think 'Brave New World' was a great return - I love some of the stuff on it! 'Dance Of Death' is a good album, but I don't tend to play it that much.
If you think about it, Saxon and Maiden are the only NWOBHM bands still going.
I see that the Masters of 'Suck' - Def Leppard - have a greatest hits out. I know these guys are decent people and everything, but I do not miss them. No comparison to the likes of Saxon and Maiden, yet they may have sold more records!

thanks glad to be apart of this board yeah leppard has sold out :cry: but maiden and saxon keep the tourch burning, :worship: got every maiden album and single :hotjump: yeah the destiny cd gots the bonus song live fast die young so order from two places but so far one couldn't get it refunded back secound one still no word guess its back order. but glad to meet you and all saxon fans.

The postman finally deigned to bring my CD today... :D

It's great! I'm only on Beyond The Grave as I've just put it on, but Lionheart is amazing! :kickass:

And, just because I felt like it, some pics of the Ltd Edition - complete with fabric path:

Their best yet, I think...

glad youre into it Eorl, regarding your question I lived in Torquay, and no, i dont miss it! expensive, too many damned tourists, expensive, crap beer, expensive, too many hills to walk up when youre pissed and did I mention its too bloody EXPENSIVE!

macc189 said:
glad youre into it Eorl, regarding your question I lived in Torquay, and no, i dont miss it! expensive, too many damned tourists, expensive, crap beer, expensive, too many hills to walk up when youre pissed and did I mention its too bloody EXPENSIVE!

Ah right. I've been to Torquay a few times, and never really took to it. You're right though, about the tourists and the beer, although I don't foot the bills, so it's ok.