Live dvd that is just...edited to death

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
If you have ever heard their cd's you'll know that the tones are wayyy too close to be live. Same triggers even nearly. I swear the vocals are dubbed, drums edited, guitars dubbed. Just boringly similar to the cd. Can you tell anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could see a concert with this quality :D I don't hear anything wrong with this, despite the fact that it's pretty dry, so it feels like a videoclip when they start playing

The copious amounts of tuning on the vocals give it away. It is kind of cool to hear a live performance which is that tight, but on some level you know that's just not right and would not have been performed like that on the night.

Sounds heavy to me. Still has a bit of a live feel to it. It's pretty common to reamp the guitars and though it was pry done in the mix, they could be triggering those samples live and can be using autotune live as well.

Thanks for the heads up though, I will now have to go pick this up. :headbang:

Yeah but well youtube is kinda there for that, and it's free. We are in 2009, not in 1998, I wouldn't pay for an amateur dvd made with handheld cameras using sound straight from the venue... IMO I think it's way more fun to watch a live dvd that you can appreciate the sound and visuals, and see that it was actually produced!

I think you are kind of missing the point of a live DVD.

I don't think the video quality is the problem with these DVD's.

It's the audio altering that happens afterwards.
The Unearth DVD is similar.
Although you can hear the double bass mistakes, the guitars sound a little 'not-live'. They could of done a better job at hiding it, if it was all fixed up.

Compare it to Opeth's roundhouse tapes where it sounds good and still sounds live.
Bloodbath's DVD fooled me as well, I thought it was pretty live till I saw a fans youtube handheld version of the performance.

Cannibal Corpse's Live Cannibalism is 100% live I think. THAT is what a live band/show DVD should be like.

Strapping Young Lad released a live CD called No Sleep Til Bedtime, and on the inside Devin says it's edited/dubbed. I listened to it again after I read that and appreciated it more because there are still tons of mistakes but sounds fantastic. So I think that my stance is edit the live stuff all you want, just admit to it and tell me what I'm hearing.

Yeah but well youtube is kinda there for that, and it's free. We are in 2009, not in 1998, I wouldn't pay for an amateur dvd made with handheld cameras using sound straight from the venue... IMO I think it's way more fun to watch a live dvd that you can appreciate the sound and visuals, and see that it was actually produced!

If i pay for a live dvd, i want it to be fuckin' live, not produced in a studio.
Its fine if they use good cameras, and remaster the sound.. but seriously, i draw the line at starting to ad/remove stuff from the actual performance to make it more like the CD.

If i pay for a live dvd, i want it to be fuckin' live, not produced in a studio.
Its fine if they use good cameras, and remaster the sound.. but seriously, i draw the line at starting to ad/remove stuff from the actual performance to make it more like the CD.

Yeah I think you've got to draw a line between a Live DVD and a music video.

Öwen;8481775 said:
Yeah I think you've got to draw a line between a Live DVD and a music video.

Exactly.. eventually "live videos" will be like Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell" video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me crazy, but the video in the OP seems pretty live to me...I didn't watch the entire duration but the portion I did see was fine, I don't get what the problem is. The Pantera one is absolutely terrible :lol: